• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perk Level 7 - Would this **** you off?

Panimu

May 15, 2009
So whilst playing today I got to wondering about what they could actually do for level 7 perks and I had an idea of one way of doing it that isn't just adding 5% (or whatever) to existing perks. My real question to you is at the end.

So lets say level 0 perk gives a 10% bonus to something and level 6 gives a 70% bonus. One way to add level 7 would be to make level 6 be level 7 then regrade each perk inbetween. For example

Old Bonus > New Bonus
Level 0: 10% > 10%
Level 1: 20% > 19%
Level 2: 30% > 28%
Level 3: 40% > 36%
Level 4: 50% > 44%
Level 5: 60% > 54%
Level 6: 70% > 62%
Level 7: N/A > 70%

I could imagine some players at perk 6 after such a change might feel aggrieved that their character got weaker and they have to perk up merely to regain their old stats. My question is, would this method piss you off or does it seem somewhat reasonable?

whywouldyoudothat.jpg

Upvote 0
To me that sounds like you're against a further perk level in general, not a specific implementation of it.

TBH yeah I am, its been suggested a number of times before and the only kind of level addition I might agree with is a 7th level that offers no buff at all, and only merely changes your icon to an "Elite" logo. But tbh the Gold Logo already does that.

So I dunno maybe blending the Horzine Logo into the icon might work, but otherwise I don't see a point.

VV Quick mock up in paint VV

medicelite.jpg

I cba to find something to fill in the top part, sicne it was hard enough just drawing the Horzine logo free hand, but you get the idea.

Acutally higher stat rewards for levelling up to Elite level I'd say Nay.

Upvote 0
No change between 6 and 7 is interesting. In that case may as well have 12 levels and the second six be gold with 0 to 6 stars, just as red does.

Hence the problem, where does it end?

We'd be looking at levels that are reaching up to like 50 million damage, maybe more.

So yeah I'd say I'm happy with level 6 as is myself.

Upvote 0
I should have stated the assumptions for this question.

Assumption 1 - there will be a 7th perk level
Assumption 2 - it would be implemented in the way I describe in the original post.

Would it **** you off significantly more than a 7th perk in the normal tradition of better and better stats..

Upvote 0
I should have stated the assumptions for this question.

Assumption 1 - there will be a 7th perk level
Assumption 2 - it would be implemented in the way I describe in the original post.

Would it **** you off significantly more than a 7th perk in the normal tradition of better and better stats..

Ok I'm not really sure what your asking to be honest, but let me sum up my stance so far...

If your asking if I would be annoyed that a level 7 was added to be the same stats as level 6 are now, thereby reducing my current level attributes, then the answer is yes.

As I said, I hate grinding in games, and having to start levelling up again would be a massive pain in the neck, especially given the damage required to make level 7 would be HUGE and the fact I don't have as much time to play Killing Floor anymore.

Killing Floor is fine as it is because the core gameplay never changes, it only gets harder through the higher levels. Your perks raise your attributes to match those levels, so although you die fast, specimens die fast as well, so teh game switches to a mode where your greatly punished for making mistakes.

Adding a level 7 doesn't add anything to the game, it merely makes the levelling process take longer. which alot of players already feel is too long. I've played nearly 500 hours of Killing Floor (Sadly that figure has remained pretty much unaltered this last 6 months) and even now I've only got enough experience to reach level 7 in Firebug and Medic. My Support and Sharpie are pretty close, but my Zerker is a fair way and my Demo and Commando are a mile off.

If I had more time for Killing Floor I might be more into a levelling system, but there are other people in the same situation as me, and to punish them for not having the time to spare is rather unfair.

So as I say a level 7 that does nothing other than give you a better perk logo, I'd be fine with, but modifying the stats for a level 7 perk that IMO serves no purpose would frustrate me.

Hope that clears everything up.

Upvote 0
Here is my suggestion.
Instead of say adding a 7th level to the perk system. Allow a player to trade in a level 6 perk, for a cross perk bonus and rank. The rank itself only serves as a epeen extension and could be in the form of an extra star or chevron.

For example;
A field medic trades in and reverts to lvl0 but in return gains a 5% discount to amour across perks. A support class gains a grenade capacity increase, a commando gains an ammo discount etc etc.

One bonus I can see from this is that a lot of these players by now being lvl0 will join easier servers, allowing them to teach newer players the ins and outs of the games.
Thoughts?

Upvote 0
To me that sounds like you're against a further perk level in general, not a specific implementation of it.
Specifically implementing a further perk level still adds a further peks level. Undedd is therefore against both of these things.

I would like to join him and say no to both of these and leave it at level 6.
I don't like the idea of Killing Floor turning into a dick-measuring contest.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
TBH yeah I am, its been suggested a number of times before and the only kind of level addition I might agree with is a 7th level that offers no buff at all, and only merely changes your icon to an "Elite" logo. But tbh the Gold Logo already does that.

So I dunno maybe blending the Horzine Logo into the icon might work, but otherwise I don't see a point.

VV Quick mock up in paint VV

medicelite.jpg

I cba to find something to fill in the top part, sicne it was hard enough just drawing the Horzine logo free hand, but you get the idea.

Acutally higher stat rewards for levelling up to Elite level I'd say Nay.

The insignia should change color to platinum white (or solid black), with no star on the side. That would look damn nice.

Upvote 0