• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Operation Flashpoint: Red River

But anyway the AI in Dragon Rising works, not really good or impressive but they can kill you. And they throw grenades which is a thing I can't remember seeing in any BI game.
Yeah, these youtube videos show that the AI is far from perfect (especially in close combat situations it seems), BUT they exaggregate the flaws: in the actual game itself you are rather easily killed. Doesn't mean the game's good though.

Upvote 0
Could we stop defending ArmA2 by saying "but the mods fix it"? It's a vanilla comparison of both games

If you're referring to that one comparasion vid posted in this thread, AI as default in ArmA2 can atleast shoot back with the intension to kill instead of stand around like fool for few seconds before it brains starts to work.

And they still throw grenades, they just don't go the ADHD Michael Bay style of grenade of grenade : grenade grenade^32^grenade, I.E. everytime someone runs behind some object, vehicle etc.

Upvote 0
I dunno, most games it feels like the developers were trying to make a finished-ish product for release, ARMA series it just feels like BIA's motto is to make a great base platform game that everyone in the sim community can somewhat enjoy and can be modded and scripted very easily then just let the community make it into the game they want it to be.

Yes standard AI in arma2 is smart sometimes and dumb the rest. ARMA2 with mods like Zeus and upsom means the AI tend to be a fair bit smarter.

@ comparison: you know I almost wish there was a good contender to ARMA, codemasters is a bloody joke of a competitor. Were there a REAL competitor to ARMA it would force both products to improve or loose. right now there are lots of things that ARMA should include from the hop, things like weapon resting, and editing weapon sights are only brought into the game in mods. proper animations for weapons and the ability to select components for your rifle ( aimpoint, m203) should also be added.

Upvote 0
To sum it all up, half arsed is the BIS way, and that's why I stopped paying for their products.

yep but sadly if you want a mil sim experience ARMA is about the only thing out there now. And atleast BIS did a good job in the one area where it counts, allowing modding. Heck the current OFP's might not be that bad if they allowed modding, anything could be added then...

Upvote 0
*looks this way*
*looks that way*

:troll:

Dialogue sounds like Oblivion...

And of course the classic ArmA II jet crash, seemingly a requirement for any discussion of AI...

But in all seriousness...I may not have played either game (stayed far away from DR after the reception it got, and ArmA II seemed too overwhelming for my mind, as well for my PC but I think I'm going to upgrade soon..) but if I had to chose one no doubt I'd go with ArmA II. The only thing is, it seems like with the AI so inconsistent that multiplayer is the best way to play. But knowing full well the realism clans that exist for RO, I would hesitate to try MP. And therefore, ever consider buying this game, even if I do upgrade.

Upvote 0
That's all well and good, but my main concern is the human players I would play with taking the game too srsrsrs. I do however know how PRM for Battlefield is pretty enjoyable experience even if you're just running around following more experienced players and getting hit and never killing anything. Seems like a hell of a commitment to a game.

Upvote 0
Could we stop defending ArmA2 by saying "but the mods fix it"? It's a vanilla comparison of both games

to be fair this is a valid point considering so much criticism and ridicule is directed at codemasters, when BIS can have some of their failings papered over by the work of 3rd parties.
If it's a practical comparison between the merits of each game then i't a fair argument, but the debate between these 2 titles seems to be a bit personal, to say the least.

There are other reasons why DR is a let down of course, and I adore everything BIS do, accepting any shortcomings and annoyances as the overall experience is beyond anything else i've played in that field
However i don't hold a grudge against codemasters, beyond the fact that they let themselves down by missing an opportunity to make a really good title.

Upvote 0