• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

It certainly has improved.
Yes. And I actually planned on buying arma 2. But after having played the demo and about 2 hours of the retail I lost interest. So I'm probably not going to get until it goes for real cheap.

This here seems to be a disappointment aswell. I'll wait for a demo. It's cheap on amazon.co.uk and I got nothing else to play, so it still has a chance.

Upvote 0
The first time I played this game I got a jam after about 2 magazines, the reload/unjam key just would not work to fix it and I had to loot a dead Chinamen for a gun, that is before his body disappeared. Later on when I had a marksman rifle I was watching some enemy in the distance and they were prone crawling through the air 4 feet off the ground! Overall it's pretty meh, even when I wasn't expecting much in the first place.

There's so many little annoyances!

The weapon handling is ****, several things annoy me like the sniper rifles having ridiculous recoil unless you are prone. There's also no consistency, like why is there a limit to how fast you can fire the QBZ-95 in semi auto, yet all the other rifles like the M-16's, SCAR and Type 96 can be fired as fast as you want in semi auto? In fact why is there a limit to how fast you can fire any of the guns in semi auto at all? And even if we have to have this limit why is it not implemented uniformly? It just feels sloppy.

The movement is pretty bad, I hate that there's no free view and no leaning. Going prone is really clunky and glitchy, I've found in some situations going prone completely locks your view (as in you cannot move your view with the mouse), I notice it especially happens when you prone on something that isn't part of the terrain map, like the floor in a building, or the static rocks.

Also why does the weapon selection with the mouse wheel have to stop you in your tracks? It can get you killed if you hit your mouse wheel at the wrong time. Also I noticed sometimes when you change weapon this way there is a huge delay, other times there isn't

The actual island is pretty damn bland, it's very repetitive and seems to lack life, the same could be said for the missions.

The only good thing is the sound, cooping with my housemate and watching him fight int he distance (I was sniper on overwatch) and the way it sounded was pretty awesome.

Overall I rate this game 5/10.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also why does the weapon selection with the mouse wheel have to stop you in your tracks? It can get you killed if you hit your mouse wheel at the wrong time. Also I noticed sometimes when you change weapon this way there is a huge delay.

yeah, I forgot to say that too. When reloading somethimes it's imposible to move, until you reload completely. It's a pain to select a weapon or a grenade, because is so damn slow.
"Wait, chinese guy. don't shoot me, I can't find my grenades.... hmmmm.... yep, here they are. continue"

Upvote 0
I thought Reddog that your post was gonna be another whingie girllie post about how OFP 2 isnt really the OFP proper sequel and it sucks BUT ive just played the first mission and all your points are valid.

Also it would be nice if you got a compass in hardcore mode.

In saying this it is quite fun and a bit less stressfull than ArmA II which can be a right c&*t at times, I think there 2 complete different games it just happens that one has a title that it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Been playing a couple of campaign missions now, I really like the game, seems the right balance of playability vs realism. Sure the AI, both friendly and enemy, is stupid at times but the atmosphere largely makes up for it. And it runs really smooth, seems well optimized and sounds are great, not like the Arma2 pop-pop of the guns.

My biggest gripe: I like to play on hardcore with no HUD because of immersion but since there is no savepoint during missions like in experienced I'm afraid I will have to start again in experienced level, just because it gets too damn frustrating having to play the *entire* misson over again. I hear the OFP vetarans say "thats hardcore!" but gaming is supposed to be fun right? Even Arma2 allows saves...

Every mission seems to follow the same plot, smaller engagements at the start, and then all hell breaks loose in the end. I'm on the "rescue chopper pilots" misson and have died twice in the village, extremely frustrating after playing for over 1 hour being super careful :(

So they should either allow turning off various HUD elements an option or an option to have a few savepoints in Hardcore, just after completion of submissions will do nicely.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well that aint happened to me so far with the AI, ive tried sneaking up on them with a knife on one of the night maps and the AI turned around when I was about 5 feet away and blew me away.

Even if the AI was like that all the time do you really think thats the reason why I would enjoy playing the game? Ive played combat sims for along time starting with OFP back in 2001 and I enjoy the challenge of a game being difficult but rewarding when you do well.

Upvote 0
Can't really say I recommend it so far: Game's mediocre.

Cons:
- Missions are kind of boring with the usual take-out-this-radar and take-out-that-missile objectives.

- For a game that sacrifices realism for "accessability" the presentation is pretty meh. Though the menu music with the guy barfing into the microphone makes me laugh.

- Weapons are ugly with lots of wong animations (from a realism point of view). Also they seem to be too inaccurate most of the time. Would have been a lot more convincing to have more sway and the weapons more accurate.

- The hardcore mode is a joke: It's the same just with no HUD and with no saves.
The latter is a bit annoying since most of the missions are almost impossible to get right the first time because they are relatively long and some objectives are time critical. So you might end up playing the same mission several times always failing at the final objective.

- controls are not very well thought through and consolish

Pros:
+ Squad menu more or less works
+ AI is okay, teammates do the right things most of the time, take cover etc.
+ most of the missions work more or less

On normal or second difficulty scale it's a typical game you play once and then never come back. It's kind of like GRAW2 on a large scale, with the difference that GRAW2 is way more polished with better missions and overall works better.

I'd give it 70 percent for now. Still have to check MP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beppo review

Some "impressions" from the first "mission" *cough* and the controls in general in no particular order:

- the default keys set something like ADD and END for FOCUS and ZOOM... stuff you can use while walking but not with such a key setup (WASD is far away)
- [ and , or something similar for switching weapons and ammo types ... again not in reach
- you can use the mouse wheel for switching weapons as well - woohoo
- you can click on the number representing the weapon for switching through the ammo types too. This results in you going from FMJ to HE grenades over to HEsomething grenades and "reloading" the HEsomething one, dropping the HE grenade to the ground. Same anims, poor. Cycling takes forever. So using the , key or a mouse button binding is way better.
- the mouse wheel can be used for selecting the weapons or ammo types once the corresponding UI menu was opened. Unfortunately the mouse wheel together with the mouse pointer on the map stopped functioning after a couple minutes of "playing".
- the map ... hilarious.... you have to use the mouse to scroll around by either holding a button to "grab" the map to then drag it around or by moving the mouse pointer to the screen edges. You cannot use the WASD keys or other keys to scroll the map and you cannot ie. draw a frame using the left mouse button to zoom in on a specific region.

- the team "AI"... run backwards and do some sidesteps to the left and right while moving around and watch your team follow you on each and every step. They copy you to almost 100% and stay on their exact formation location almost the whole time too. Very funny to watch.
- if you turn to the left or right you can end up with a team mate standing right in front of your muzzle or next to your sights. If you now move forward into that direction the team member stays in front of you and copies your movement. So the formation doesn't rotate if you do, they just stay scattered around you and do not even clear your fire line if you point at them... nice "combat" situations do follow.
- nothing happens if you shoot at your own team mates or other friendly soldiers.... you just kill them without any kind of reaction of nearby friendlies
- sometimes your team mates kill an enemy on 100m ... and sometimes they do not hit them if 5 meters away and clear in the open and then need to move even closer... funny that the enemy doesn't hit them then too
- issuing a move order results in a "tango charlie blah blah" coordinate stuttering voice command even if you send them five meters away. No matter if an object is close by or not. Same ****ing voice command all the time.

- !7! HE 40mm grenades shot on a jeep... and it exploded ... but it would have exploded on its own after 5 or 6 shots too... the fire has an effect on it ... but it actually started to smoke after 3 or 4 shots taken ... funny
- no matter how many 40mms you fire at the big radio antennas... they do not get destroyed at all
- the small "village" in the first "mission" is hilarious too ... you have barrels all scattered around and even some small flasks or something alike. No matter which color the barrels do have (some are red/orange others green/grey) they do explode once shot at - taking several shots before doing so. And they take the smaller buildings next to them with'em once they explode... the buildings make boom and only some wall fragments are left.
- a bunch of shots on a fence and it is all gone in a cloud
- all exploding things do vanish. You do not have debris or fragments of any sort flying around, just some sort of "broken replacement" for larger things.

- grenades cannot be cocked... just a "all times the same" throw or an underhand roll
- smoke grenades rotate around themselves still after they stopped sliding over the ground

- 40mm hits where you are aiming at while using the aimdot
- no aimdot magnification or similar. so why is the optic ten inches long?
- pistol firing plays "recoil" anim that looks exactly the same each time... same for other weapons
- pistol cannot be fired in a fast pace at all cause you have to wait for the recoil anim to end...
- you don't hit **** on side moving targets even while staying still or kneeling ... its more luck then cause sometimes you hit while aiming center on target and sometimes you hit while aiming sligthly in front
- some targets take a bunch of hits before hitting the ground... hits are "marked" by a blood cloud effect... *cough*

- you ****ing cannot WALK
- you can only run/jog or sprint
- sprinting while crouched has the exact same speed than sprinting while fully upright
- while sprinting you cannot aim your weapon. however you need to release the sprint key so that the aiming can take effect. This then results in the sprint weapon posture going to the low-ready to then go to the engaged posture.... very very slow. A direct transition from sprint to engaged is not possible.
- if your leg gets hurt you cannot sprint. However if you hold the sprint key you still cannot take your weapon to the engaged posture
wink.gif

- no jumping, vaulting or anything similar to get on top of smaller obstacles or thru windows, over fences and the like

- you can fire thru ONE wooden wall in the barracks in the first village. The next wall stops the projectile. It doesn't matter if you fire with your AR, pistol or a sniper rifle taken from an enemy. All projectiles perform the same... even the hit decals and hit effects are the same.
- windows always break fully... no matter how "complex" they are.
- doors have simple textures, no 3D doorknobs or similar. Opening them exposes you almost fully. You first step close to the door, push it open with your weapon put away, step back and then bring up your weapon again. This all mixed with a focus in and out effect. If the AI would properly react, then opening a door to the in- or outside is a suicide mission.

- movement looks hilarious... the weapon swings fast from the left to the right... sprinting looks funny too. Due to you not being able to walk the weapon bobing really starts to disturb your view in a very short amount of time.
- crouch and prone weapon movement is too funny
- no body awareness at all... you do not see your legs...
- going from prone to crouch/standing and the other way around takes a lot of time and you always put your weapon away fully while doing so.

- fire effects are rotating and expanding textures... look good on a distance but not if you get closer. Then they look pretty ****ty.
- smoke effects look better actually
- if you hit a wooden wall in front of you your view gets a "dust" effect from the wooden hit effect stuff. Funny is that the size of this effect is not changing if you get even closer to the wall. It just gets triggered to show up if you get into a specific distance to the wall hit effect.

aso aso aso aso aso .... I guess I could go on forever... and this after only playing the game for a very short amount of time.
How can something like this be called a "simulation"... sure it isn't a FPS either
wink.gif
... it's just pure bull****.

A german games page gave it a 73 ... which would be a 3 or C in a school system actually. They mentioned slightly more negative than positive things... overall a lot on both sides actually.
I would give it a 50-60 at most actually... but I'm biased and I actually do know how these things should work and what Codemasters offers with this title is simply not worth to play thru the offline campaign at all. It simply is no fun at all.

I cannot stand the fact that some really like it. The whole weapon and movement control mechanism is ****. It doesn't come close to a FPS design nor to a simulation design... it is not even something in between.
The "realism" is far from being real.

I haven't checked if they feature different reload anims for dry reloads or not, or if they even got double and single action differences - if at all. I just saw ****ty anims, ****ty movement visuals and every shot resulting in the same "recoil" movement aso aso.

So, what about this title is actually "good"?
-----------------------------------------

OFP DR is a joke of the year and I sign every word of this review!

Upvote 0