• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

One minute spawns

fireship4

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
This would completely change gameplay. Currently, soldiers will run out into fire knowing that it doesent matter that much if they die as they will respawn within about 10 seconds anyway. With a minute to respawn, people would behave in a more realistic manner - trying not to get killed.

It should be included as a server-side option but it should be 1 minute every time, not just 1 minute as maximum spawn time, for the effect to work fully.

This would mean that reinforcements would arrive one by one and not in groups, unless someone has any ideas.

No thanks. In beta there were a couple of maps with really long respawn timers (up to 40 seconds), and it wasn't really that much fun.

I know your heart is in the right place, but as someone who has lived through long despawns, it is pretty painful.

Maybe a mutator that only gives you (the player) a given number of "lives" would be the answer. Then the n00bs who spawn in and charge into combat only to get mowed down wouldn't be able to drain the spawn lists so fast. But the fact that we can by artied and MG'ed in our spawns (on some maps) makes this a somewhat unattractive arrangement.

Upvote 0
I agree, no thanks to the long and individual spawns. I like the fact that we now spawn in groups. It totally supports the teamwork-to-win idea.

I like the idea about limited lives a lot though. It could be made class dependent too. For instance, each player would be alotted 10 lives. But the tank crew class is only alotted 5 lives. If the player dies 5 times as the tank crewman, the slot he occupied closes and he must choose another class that has an open slot. Basic rifle infantry would have unlimited slots. Maybe for the commanders, there's always one slot available, but any one player can only die 3 times as a commander before that slot closes to him and he's forced to chose another. That kind of thing. I'd also suggest that the player be forced to commit to a class for the duration of the battle. No class jumping. Something like this would surely change the face of an ill-fought battle quickly. I'd like to try it.:)

Upvote 0
Yes we spawn in groups but players don't currently behave in a realistic manner - like they don't want to die. This would not be the case with one minute spawns - players would behave differently and it might be great - testing would find this out. Currently servers can't decide spawn times without a mod/mutator.

The lives thing isn't crap but for some reason doesn't feel right for me, but I may be wrong. For example you would have people behaving differently depending on how many lives they had left.

For those who don't like the idea, you would at least have it as a server-side option, no?

Upvote 0
Based on experience in the mod, where some maps had a 45 second respawn timer, it wont change anything. People will still run into the enemy head first without caring, or the ones that do value their life will hang back and cower not trying to capture anything. That was typically the case on warsaw anyway. In the end it will simply induce a lot of complaining.

It is a well intentioned idea though.

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
Personally I think this would work. But only with maybe 200 Players (100 per team) on big maps.[/quot

Yes it might work if there was more players like captain data said above but until then i think it would kill the intensity and the illusion your fighting in a large engagement on the 32 man or less servers we currently have, if someone wants to do it as a mutator work away but offically i think the devs wont change it, remember the devs probadly have the respawn times the way it is form vast exprience working on the mod they've obviously tested 60 sec respawns and felt it wouldnt work as well as the current respawn time.

Upvote 0
Pyros777 said:
Based on experience in the mod, where some maps had a 45 second respawn timer, it wont change anything. People will still run into the enemy head first without caring, or the ones that do value their life will hang back and cower not trying to capture anything. That was typically the case on warsaw anyway. In the end it will simply induce a lot of complaining.

It is a well intentioned idea though.

The long respawn time was the reason why core took it as its base map.

On warsaw and koningsberg, killing enemies mattered. IF some enemy rushed things too much they would all be killed and in the wait for the respawn all objectives would be taken. Spawntime is another tactic for clans to use. I'd like to see some more maps with long spawntimes.

Upvote 0
Advantages that would come with one minute spawns:-

A players corpse could lie on the battlefield until just before he respawns - this would be nearly a minute and would look more realistic.

Also you could have players be badly wounded instead of dead for the 1 minute, so they can still see and unless they're paralised maybe crawl a little and pick up their gun and fire a few shots. During the time they are lying there they can be screaming/throwing up, or if they are crawling just making the sound a person in pain makes. Once the minute is up (or they are shot) they die.

Writing this made me think of all the people who died in the war...

Upvote 0
I agree with the longer respawn times, however you should sapwn with everyone else. THIS will promote team-work because you will spawn with more people and you will want to stay together for multiple reasons like cover-fire and when your with more teamamtes the enemy has more to shoot at, meaning less lead coming your way. THink about hedge hog for intance. Will 10 sec respawns the enemy will just trickle in one or two at a time. But if they have to wait a minute ( OR MORE?!?) to respawn then when they want to attack the western farmhose they better bring everyone and attack in en force. Now that would be more intense and more realistic then it is now.

Upvote 0