• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Omaha beach map project need help!!

#2 looks sweet, though you may want to flatten the inside cargo deck.

In real life the cargo deck runs from above water line at the door/ramp to below water line in front of the engine box. The sloped cargo deck probably will clip into the water in game.

:p Sometimes you need to sacrifice realism for playability.

Yes, good point. The test i ran with the older lallup model "flooded" like this

Upvote 0
Is it just me or do all HotW Maps have basically neutral lighting (ie no coloration to them.)? Even the "dark ones" Always was confused, you should use blue tinting rather than actually adding black or desaturating it. (good example is GuadalCanal, it's blue lighting.) Same goes for shadows, they seem out of place, IMO. It's a preference really, the maps have good and bad (like all maps) features. Mostly my problems are with gun balancing, and lighting/aesthetics, (terrain blending, low tesselation, personal preference, not belittling here, I appreciate all the work you guys put into the maps, as I too dabble in it.) But what always has bugged me is the fog and the lighting, that and the sparseness of HotW maps. I can't put my finger on it but it may be that there are not many decals, small meshes, etc on the maps. Something is definitely off ( I think it's just nymet's style, which perfectly fine, we all have different views, interpretations, and opinions on, well everything).
Same goes for the allies having Garands, if you're going to give that to them, add more automatics (MP-40s) to the Germans, as the Germans don't have balancing buffs like the Japanese.

Maybe just some hard criticism, but you should think about it for a minute, or at least compare contrast the styles of these maps with RO2 and RS maps. No offense intended, but for improvement in anything, sometimes some criticism is needed.
This is mainly why I don't attend HotW events, I'll wait till everything is fixed, or wait until some improvements are made. Not map layout, but balancing and aesthetic issues. Before I put my full weight behind supporting this project ( I support it, but I'm a step back from everyone else supporting it). Off the top my head, the only map that actually needs to have it's map layout looked at is, Caen_Outskirts. Not the best idea to base a map of an RTS.

Again, I'm not insulting anyone's work here, I'm criticizing parts of it, that need to be criticized so HotW can be improved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Be careful not to get flamepm s like this from Lemoneater, it s a dangerzone here for critics... :D

The One

True, but you didn't explain what you did and didn't like. I'm totally willing to talk to lemonater of this, you more or less just said "YOU GUYS SUCK!" And didn't explain why, or why you came to that conclusion.
For the record I don't think this.

Upvote 0