• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nothing wrong with a graphical updated RO1!!

One thing is clear. With the release of RO Classic, we will find out darn quick if these inconsolable "vets" will ever embrace the new game or just move on....

Regardless, the midnight drive-bys and squawking of tires in front of the ex's house has got to end at some point.

I really hope RO Classic cures some of the ills around here. I really do, but I have my doubts it will. The tweaks considered, a bit of sway here, some fatigue there, these sound pretty minor to me. Try as I might, I just can't see how RO2 with a boob reduction can hope to feel the same as ROOst. They are completely different games.

Still, I sympathize with disgruntled "vets." ROOst had thousands of players over the years but those left standing represent ROOst's most dedicated and loyal players. That is something. They also happen to share that unfortunate distinction of having so much time invested in a unique style of gameplay that it is near impossible for them to consider anything outside their box. Certainly not a game that requires them to unlearn things they invested years to master just to be competitive.

As a result we see thread after thread twisting logic into impossible pretzels in vain attempts to convince everyone that 2006 is the immovable standard for an "authentic" RO experience. They do this despite that neither we nor they are the same gamers we were in 2006. Everyone has evolved since. TWI certainly has.

Seriously, even with the rosiest-coloured glasses, does anyone honestly believe the exaggerated handicaps of ROOst avatars were its best and most popular features? I hardly think so.

Regardless, the truth is ROOst no longer satisfies even the most faithful and RO2 will never allow vets to simply pick up where they left off. It's an awkward place. Maybe RO Classic will win some over, but I doubt it will win over everyone. How can it? /rant off

Agree 100%

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
I'm not completely happy with HoS, but that isn't the same thing as wanting Ostfront with shiny graphics. To say there is nothing wrong with a carbon copy is nonsense. RO2 should continue to do what Ostfront did, challenge the FPS status quo and be original, and it can't do that by being Ostfront with better graphics. Ostfront already went there and did that, for TW to continue to make a name for themselves (which is something every fan should be invested in) they need to do newer, improved projects.

That being said, I would've loved to see the RO Classic mode appear sooner. And as far as I am concerned it solves every issue I have with RO2, namely the unlock system and tank AI. I say this having expected it as an option, I don't want TW to hold back, or devolve RO2 to 2005, but atleast the option would've been nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing is clear. With the release of RO Classic, we will find out darn quick if inconsolable "vets" will ever embrace the new game or just move on....

Regardless, the midnight drive-bys and squawking of tires in front of the ex's house has got to end at some point.

I really hope RO Classic cures some of the ills around here. I really do, but i doubt it will. The tweaks being considered, a bit of sway here, some fatigue there, sound pretty minor to me. Try as I might, I can't see how RO2 with a boob reduction can hope to feel the same as ROOst. They are completely different games.

Still, I sympathize with disgruntled "vets." ROOst had thousands of players over the years and those left standing represent ROOst's most dedicated and loyal players. That is something. They also happen to share that unfortunate distinction of having so much time invested in a unique style of play they find it near impossible to consider anything outside their box. Certainly not a game that requires them to unlearn things they invested years to master in order to be competitive.

As a result we see thread after thread of these arguments twisting logic into impossible pretzels in vain attempts to convince everyone that 2006 is the immovable standard for an "authentic" RO experience. They do this despite that neither we nor they are the same gamers we were in 2006. Everyone has evolved since. TWI certainly has.

Seriously, even with the rosiest-coloured glasses, does anyone believe the exaggerated handicaps of ROOst avatars were its best and most popular features? I think not.

At any rate, ROOst no longer satisfies even the most faithful these days and RO2 will never allow vets to simply pick up where they left off. It's an awkward place. Maybe RO Classic will win some over, but I doubt it will win over everyone. How can it? /rant off
Good post!

Ontopic:
I still find the weapons in Ostfront alot more detailed and nicer than the weapons in RO2.

The mosin for example in RO2 is devoid of any details compared to that of RO: OST. :(
Same goes for the sounds of the weapons in RO1.
It's a weird paradox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Than make Teammates invulnerable, when they are in your direct surrounding. How often i get a TK because someone runs throug me, from behind?
how would making team mates you can't get past, invulnerable, help any? then you couldn't ever get past them.
this wouldn't work anyway. all we'd have to do is stick next to each other and never die.

Reactions: Mikeedude
Upvote 0
RO1 had/has better gameplay then RO2, if it was better then it then there wouldnt be a problem, i find it funny these guys who support massive changes to game franchises only for them to become a shadow of themselves and a inferior product even though graphics have advanced.

its a fps game why do you need to break the gameplay to apparently "evolve" it in a direction which makes the game suck compared to what it originally was? i dont see counter strike breaking its gameplay formula, you have to remember a shooter will always be basic because all you do is fire a gun so why change that, its not like we are playing a mmo/rts. just dont "evolve" it in a bad direction away from what made it good in the first place, you should be adding to the formula slightly if anything and improving the graphics. RO2 feels like half RO1 half something else.

the majority of fps games now are just watered down console games which are extremely basic, casual friendly and just lead you derping all over the place void of all teamwork, even if RO2 or future titles doesnt match RO1 ill still speak highly and support TW because they dont sell out to the mainstream, but still playing RO1 was a shock it was like playing a PC fps before consoles tainted it with derpness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
Than make Teammates invulnerable, when they are in your direct surrounding. How often i get a TK because someone runs throug me, from behind?

That only happens to me with bots.... humans seem to be smarter in my experience.... while two bots will hog the window or the sandbags I'm already occupying, and I end up shooting one of them dead.

Lil' jerk had it coming anyways.

Upvote 0
its a fps game why do you need to break the gameplay to apparently "evolve" it in a direction which makes the game suck compared to what it originally was? i dont see counter strike breaking its gameplay formula, you have to remember a shooter will always be basic because all you do is fire a gun so why change that, its not like we are playing a mmo/rts. just dont "evolve" it in a bad direction away from what made it good in the first place, you should be adding to the formula slightly if anything and improving the graphics. RO2 feels like half RO1 half something else.

For your information, Counterstrike: Source TO THIS DAY has fewer players than CS 1.6, so I feel this is example hurts the point you're making. As proof, examine the steam statistics page.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
There is a problem with that.

Tripwire is a small company and they dont get a brilliant amount of funding, near the end of RO2's developement, Tripwire were no doubt running low on money, so they had to push the game out and take all the money they could to keep the game moving forward.

thats understandable.

however as an outside observer, i would like to chime in that TWI made some poor decisions it terms of the development. I'm guessing that modeling the interiors of the tanks took a good portion of time and money, something which i feel is a waste.

I mean yeah, they're cool and all but they lose their novelty pretty quickly. Not only that but it makes developing new tanks/vehicles much more difficult because TWI has to create each one to be highly accurate.

i would have rather them put that time into making this RO Classic mode

This is just one example, but i feel like TWI mismanaged their funds a bit. I hate publishers but thats usually the good thing about them, they keep their devs in check. I think TWI went a bit "out of control" with their funds

Upvote 0
RO2 is not by any means an updated sequel of RO OST. Its simply not a true sequel. RO2 changed the direction. Anyone that claims that ''But I dont want a carbon copy of RO OST!!!11'' misses the point completely. The whole point with a spiritual sequel is to improve what's been working, remove or fix what didn't work, and develop the game in line with the same formula as the first. This is approach has nothing to do with a 'carbon copy'. Unlocks, perks, skillpoints, fast paced gameplay and in general more mainstreamed gameplay doesn't go in line with RO OST. The formula is changed, no matter how much or little, its still changed. Anyone that deny this have obviously not played these two games or either have a quite bad judgement. Its not even up to debate, really, because you can notice the diffrences in these two games. Its like saying GTA IV is a spiritual sequel to San Andreas. Its simply not true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...modeling the interiors of the tanks took a good portion of time and money, something which i feel is a waste....they're cool and all but they lose their novelty pretty quickly. Not only that but it makes developing new tanks/vehicles much more difficult because TWI has to create each one to be highly accurate.
Not to change the subject but if they did waste a good portion of time and money modeling the tank interiors then, at the minimum, the interiors should have been accurate and correct for the tank model being depicted. In game, they are woefully incorrect. In other words, click here

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO1 had/has better gameplay then RO2, if it was better then it then there wouldnt be a problem, i find it funny these guys who support massive changes to game franchises only for them to become a shadow of themselves and a inferior product even though graphics have advanced.

the majority of fps games now are just watered down console games which are extremely basic, casual friendly and just lead you derping all over the place void of all teamwork, even if RO2 or future titles doesnt match RO1 ill still speak highly and support TW because they dont sell out to the mainstream, but still playing RO1 was a shock it was like playing a PC fps before consoles tainted it with derpness.

This. ROOst was a game you could sink your teeth into like a juicy steak. The dynamics of the maps, combat, and the teamplay had depth. The skill level of the game was wide ranging from the noob friendly spray and pray to the prostar bolt action hipsters. All of that is what made me fall in love with ROOst. RO2 has none of that. With classic mode, mods, and maps coming out , hopefully that will change. I'm not against giving it a second shot. I'm falling in love with Tribes:Ascend & LoL something mean, but I've always loved and respected how Tripwire has operated in the past so I'll be bugging everyone I can to give it a second shot with Classic mode and whatever hopeful mods come out for it.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0