• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not the game I expected

dead_man

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2017
Europe
I'm sorry to tell you that I already lost interest in the game after one week-end. Maybe I'll hop in once in a while.

Too small maps

Too fast paced

Maybe I had too high hopes. My verdict about this one is that the product manager decided to go for "easy kills" instead of tactics.

I hate him, and this was my first and last pre-purchase and last pay for a demo, thanks.

Last edited:
Did you play other titles from the RO/RS series? Because the pace didn't change within the series. Although the community mappers will make some maps, where the experience might be quite different, from what is experienced in the vanilla game. I would say the plattform in terms of weapon handling mechanics and game modes is quite solid. I'm very excited about what maps we will get, especially from modders/community mappers.

Reactions: Scoops and DonDOOM
Upvote 0
The reason you die fast and "easy" is why you have to apply at least some sort of tactics or good old common sense. Dying two times by a machine gunner is not a problem, but it becomes a problem if you keep rushing to the exact same spot again and again. You have to adjust at least your own personal tactic to get a different outcome.

I also don't think maps are smaller, but fights often take take place on shorter distances. I think this is fine from both a gameplay and a scenario point of view.

Upvote 0
I really like it. I was never a fan of Red Orchestra or Rising storm, I just kept dying and getting mad. But in Rising Storm 2, I keep dying too but this time I'm having fun with it. Why? Because every time I die is a learning experience, not just from getting sniped from across the map. The maps are pretty huge by the way, the only way you can get from one side to another quickly is via helicopter.

Also, do you realize the demo was free? I played for like four hours before deciding to buy it.

Upvote 0
imnrk;n2294575 said:
I was never a fan of Red Orchestra or Rising storm, I just kept dying and getting mad. But in Rising Storm 2, I keep dying too but this time I'm having fun with it. Why? Because every time I die is a learning experience, not just from getting sniped from across the map.
The dying experience is the same throughout the series. It always has been between bayonet and sniper rifle range. And then you just get wiped out by arty. You make it sound like in the predecessors you would just die randomly without a possible learning experience, which is absolutely not the case. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2294590 said:
The dying experience is the same throughout the series. It always has been between bayonet and sniper rifle range. And then you just get wiped out by arty. You make it sound like in the predecessors you would just die randomly without a possible learning experience, which is absolutely not the case. ;)

That's how it felt to me when I played those games, I never knew what hit me and just got mad. But I also am less familiar with the setting and technology of that time period, so maybe that contributes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not getting killed too fast, it's the killing rate in the game. I never played any title of the series and I played this for a weekend for the 1st time with a KD of 0.7. I think this is fair enough and there is room for improvement. My in-game-names were dmwban and joker. But this is not the point. The point is that the game forces meat grinder by making the combat area so small and that you can make kills with almost no effort. There is not much room for tactics. That's all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be fair fire fights during Vietnam were nothing like WW2. During Vietnam the combat was usually close quarters, ambush style fighting. The NVA/VC really only fought in stand up fights when they had their backs against the wall or felt they had the upper hand. For the Americans it was constant search and destroy (I think territories is as close to that as we'll get). You can't expect the same game play style from RO2 while portraying a completely different conflict fought with completely different weapons.
Can certain situations be frustrating? Absolutely (for me it's how everyone wins 9/10 times except me in CQB) but I wouldn't say it's a problem.

Upvote 0
dead_man;n2294627 said:
It's not getting killed too fast, it's the killing rate in the game. I never played any title of the series and I played this for a weekend for the 1st time with a KD of 0.7. I think this is fair enough and there is room for improvement. My in-game-names were dmwban and joker. But this is not the point. The point is that the game forces meat grinder by making the combat area so small and that you can make kills with almost no effort. There is not much room for tactics. That's all.

I just don't see this at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite for me, i hated the snipe fest/ meat grinder that was Ro2 and I love this.

My general experience of one of the favourite maps on R02 - RO Factory was run 100 yards to first contact point, peep head up, peer through grey smoke looking for grey germans in the grey shadows, bang i'm dead. Rinse and repeat. Or if you want meat grinder - how about apartments? Need I say any more.

With this game, it's great, there's so much well designed cover for you to use you can stay out of trouble for long periods.
The auto/semi auto weapons mean that your squad/team can employ fire and maneouver - pour on fire and flank into the building. its not so about sniper/ twitch skills anymore so for me, it's more realistic not less.

The one thing I miss from ROOST - those big maps with vehicles. Modders might be able to do something there. Anyway, absolutely loving this game.

Upvote 0
hekuball;n2294648 said:
I just don't see this at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite for me, i hated the snipe fest/ meat grinder that was Ro2 and I love this.

My general experience of one of the favourite maps on R02 - RO Factory was run 100 yards to first contact point, peep head up, peer through grey smoke looking for grey germans in the grey shadows, bang i'm dead. Rinse and repeat. Or if you want meat grinder - how about apartments? Need I say any more.

With this game, it's great, there's so much well designed cover for you to use you can stay out of trouble for long periods.
The auto/semi auto weapons mean that your squad/team can employ fire and maneouver - pour on fire and flank into the building. its not so about sniper/ twitch skills anymore so for me, it's more realistic not less.

The one thing I miss from ROOST - those big maps with vehicles. Modders might be able to do something there. Anyway, absolutely loving this game.
- how about apartments compound? Need I say any more.

You can't generalize map design that simple. In all games of the series you have maps that are about CQB, where many players are fighting in a small area, resulting in a high density of encounters. And RS2 has those CQB maps too. Or that pushing against entrenched riflemen... Hill 937...

Upvote 0
dead_man;n2294627 said:

In terms of the actual kill rate in this game compared to RO2 it's actually slower.

You can use tactics. All you gotta do is press capslock, have a head on your shoulders and sound convincing.

Upvote 0