• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not cool. (PB kicks me for my name)

More specifically, alpha-numeric characters within the ASCII character set are valid. This extends to some other characters as well (dash, underscore, etc...) but I believe UE will not support (display) any alt-characters. Some were even disabled to prevent injections. PB seems to add on an option to kick rather than (the engine default of) removing the character(s), substituting a default name, or substituting the invalid characters.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
More specifically, alpha-numeric characters within the ASCII character set are valid. This extends to some other characters as well (dash, underscore, etc...) but I believe UE will not support (display) any alt-characters. Some were even disabled to prevent injections. PB seems to add on an option to kick rather than (the engine default of) removing the character(s), substituting a default name, or substituting the invalid characters.
Sorry to dig a 2 years old thread, but that serious issue still exists, nothing was done regarding it and recently several admins set their Punkbuster level High to include the non-ASCII ban.

I tried everything with the setname command, it's still blocked by TWI.

I really BEG Tripwire Interactive to do something, ANYTHING : rename me to Player79468, let us change our nickname, allow the setname command again (put a timer on that thing if you want !).

I can't do anything (everything is blocked on the client side), most server admins WANT/NEED that Unicode-ban, the only person capable of doing something is Tripwire Interactive.

Please do something, more than half the planet use non-ASCII characters in their daily lives and names, this is a serious issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0