• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC No in game voice chat for a month now! HELP!

IvanTheTerrible79

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 17, 2023
So a few months ago I noticed that after an update I could no longer hear anyone when they are using voice in game. As far as I have asked people in text chat when I try to speak using my mic they cannot hear me either. I see the little voice chat icon on the middle-left of my screen when people are talking and sometimes in particularly active servers lots of people keep going back and forth with each other presumably making callouts but I can hear absolutely nothing; all I see is the icon's keep popping up on the screen.

What have I tried? Uninstalling and reinstalling the game 2 or 3 times.
Updating my realtek audio drivers.
Changing the KFEngine.ini file:
every single time I re-install the game this document defaults to "False" for "AllowPeerConnections" and "AllowPeerVoice" which definitely doesn't seem right. Here is the doc in question and all the parts I though were remotely relevant sounding:
Code:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
AllowPeerConnections=True
AllowPeerVoice=True
ConnectionTimeout=30.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=15000
MaxInternetClientRate=10000
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=30
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
NetServerLobbyTickRate=5
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection
MaxDownloadSize=1024000

[OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.IpNetDriverSteamworks]
NetConnectionClassName=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.IpNetConnectionSteamworks
bSteamSocketsOnly=TRUE

[IpServer.UdpServerQuery]
GameName=ut

[IpDrv.UdpBeacon]
DoBeacon=True
BeaconTime=0.50
BeaconTimeout=5.0
BeaconProduct=ut
ServerBeaconPort=8777
BeaconPort=9777
I took a break of a few months from the game but I have vivid memories of playing last years summer event and being able to hear people speaking. Something happened between then and now and from what I've read some sort of update to KF2 caused people to start having this exact problem with voice. Something about cross platform play or something??

Before you ask; all other game audio works fine in KF2 and all game audio (including voice both ways) works in other games like CSGO. To the best of my knowledge all of my audio hardware is configured correctly; else it shouldn't really be working in games like CSGO right?

Please can anyone help me? I am getting really pissed off at this it's been a month (maybe more) and nothing I do seems to fix it. The only thing I have not tried is re-installing steam; and I am not going to try that because I have literally hundreds of games installed (a lot of which were a pain to mod) and I'm not willing to risk all that hard work and I don't know if it will even help my issue.

Please if anyone can help me with this issue I would be extremely grateful! Thank you,

The voice in this game is handled by the "Vivox" technology. I suggest you search it online for further troubleshooting if needed. It changed to Vivox some time in maybe 2019-2020. Prior to that they relied on something else, forgot how it was called. There were also complaints about it, but it felt like less complaints.

I have two suggestions.

1) Make sure your microphone is allowed to be used by Killing Floor 2. On Windows 10 and 11 it's in the "Microphone Privacy Settings", which can be found by just pressing the "Start" button and starting typing this phrase on a keyboard. Ensure that KF2 desktop app can use your microphone. It's unlikely it's your problem, because if it was, you would hear others, but they wouldn't hear you. But for you nothing works.

2) In case it's two issues coinciding, I've found that sometimes this Vivox passes the voice chat, but it's of extremely low volume, so one just doesn't hear it. Go to Audio settings in-game and reduce the volume of music, in-game sounds and the rest, except for voice chat, which you should pump up to the max and see if you start hearing your mates.

The "AllowPeerConnections" and "AllowPeerVoice" you mentioned are very likely related to LAN party type of gameplay, which isn't supported by vanilla KF2. So it's okay when they are false. I have them at false on my KF2 and Vivox works just fine for me. I'm on "High Definition Audio Device", whatever it is, that is a built-in sound controller into Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX mainboard. Prior to that I had Asus X570 ROG Pro mainboard with built-in audio and again, Vivox always worked for me. Prior to that I had Asus Prim B350 and it also worked for me, but that was probably before the Vivox times.

Upvote 0
Perhaps problem is that some use Steam and others use Epic.
In any case, since latest updates. I can't hear other players at all.

Fixed:
Ye, my friend check it. Steam players can definitely hear each other.
Steam can't hear Epic...
Epic can't hear Steam...

Steam can hear Steam!
But I don't know Epic hear Epic???

Last edited:
Upvote 0