• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Preview @ PCGamer

None of these previews have mentioned the singleplayer much. I wonder, will it be a full on story with characters and scripted segments... or will it be like multiplayer with bots but with a string of maps to progress through.

It's the RO gameplay with a story-driven single player that I anticipate the most.
John Gibson said in a Crosshairs cast not to expect a fully scripted and cinematic single player campaign. Instead, he said it would be something along the lines of scenarios from the MP maps being portrayed in SP.

So basically I'm thinking it will be versions of the MP maps in SP played out in a SP campaign, similar to the MP campaign, perhaps with each battle separated by a cutscene or historical information. I would love to play a SP game where I commanded an AI squad in a non-linear level with various objectives to complete.

John has also said there will be SP coop, so this strengthens the thoughts I have above about SP not being scripted.

Upvote 0
John Gibson said in a Crosshairs cast not to expect a fully scripted and cinematic single player campaign. Instead, he said it would be something along the lines of scenarios from the MP maps being portrayed in SP.

So basically I'm thinking it will be versions of the MP maps in SP played out in a SP campaign, similar to the MP campaign, perhaps with each battle separated by a cutscene or historical information. I would love to play a SP game where I commanded an AI squad in a non-linear level with various objectives to complete.

John has also said there will be SP coop, so this strengthens the thoughts I have above about SP not being scripted.

Well I kinda hope for a map full of enemy NPCs with fixed placements, mixed with a respawn system. Something similar to Valkyria Chronicles. where you can have different challenges in a same map, depending on the layout of the enemy respawn, positions and defenses.

Edit: Also, allowing for big battles with tons and tons of bots, human wave attacks etc... would be awesome for a single player campaign.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope that the thing could portray a 200 vs 200 battle at some point in some map in single player, that would be just an epic meatgrinder. (and would make awesome... AWESOME trailers)

Edit:
To explain it in another way, instead of the classic story driven crap, or the soulless bot-match: Imagine the first person shooter version of a single player campaign of a strategy game like Blitzkrieg.

Last edited:
Reactions: illinifan and samol
Upvote 0
Nice pic of the tank commanders hatch unbuttoned, raises the possibility that the Commander can fire his weapon when unbuttoned.

RO2_PR_Screenshot_CommisarsHouse_German_A-rezised.jpg

Indeed, its a nice picture.
But if the game stays realistic as possible, than the Commander does not operate the gun (like in ROOST), but give move orders, select and range targets etc.

The gunner, will move the turret, zero in on the target and fire.

Also, I think the article made a mistake, as the editor mentioned 3 playable positions. (driver, gunner, commander.? )
But in the Igromir videos, we clearly saw playable Driver, radio-op, gunner and commander.

Although, I could be wrong:troll: and TWB may have changed the set-up

Upvote 0
Hmmm, at first I thought that the pIV would have an extra player slot, but lately I read more and more about this "driver,hull MG,commander/gunner" thing so I think that maybe both tanks will have only 3 players but for the germans a single player will control both the commander and the gunner to make up for that? Of course that would create a disadvantage when one of them dies and he would have to change positions all the time.

Anyway, I think the best thing would be to keep the slots as in reality and allow a 4rth player in the pIV. It could lead to completely unbalanced encounters you might think, but imagine you are playing an RTS, isn't it great when there are completely different and unique factions?

Upvote 0

I am hoping the single player will turn out to be Raven Shield like - but in WWII. With a large number of AI commands (I made a suggestion thread about it) I think it would have a lot of potential.

If they can manage to do that as well as the good multiplayer modes it would be amazing.

As for cutscenes, something basic between each mission would be nice, but I would rather have money put into AI programming/commands.

If advanced AI does not make it into RO2, there is always hope for RO3.

Upvote 0
I am hoping the single player will turn out to be Raven Shield like - but in WWII. With a large number of AI commands (I made a suggestion thread about it) I think it would have a lot of potential.

If they can manage to do that as well as the good multiplayer modes it would be amazing.

As for cutscenes, something basic between each mission would be nice, but I would rather have money put into AI programming/commands.

If advanced AI does not make it into RO2, there is always hope for RO3.
Exactly, I really loved the non-linearity and objective and squad-based gameplay in RS3's SP campaign. I would love to see this kind of thing in RO2, only of course with massive raging WWII battles instead of small-scale anti-terrorist firefights.

Upvote 0
There should be 4 playable seats in the Pz IV, I think some people confuse the main gunner with the radio operator/MG gunner.

I don't think people are confused. They're just repeating what Ramm confirmed - 3 players per tank. We know there are 4 roles to fill, not including the loader, but that's what Ramm has been saying. Maybe it'll change.

Upvote 0
I don't think people are confused. They're just repeating what Ramm confirmed - 3 players per tank. We know there are 4 roles to fill, not including the loader, but that's what Ramm has been saying. Maybe it'll change.
This is something that's been bugging me as well. Evan Lahti says 3/4 positions on the tank are playable, however there are realistically 5 positions (loader not playable), and in the Russian video didn't we see Gibson going from all playable positions? He went from driver, crawled to the gunner's seat, up to the commander's position, then down to the hull-gunner's seat.

Upvote 0
Well I kinda hope for a map full of enemy NPCs with fixed placements, mixed with a respawn system. Something similar to Valkyria Chronicles. where you can have different challenges in a same map, depending on the layout of the enemy respawn, positions and defenses.

Edit: Also, allowing for big battles with tons and tons of bots, human wave attacks etc... would be awesome for a single player campaign.

Having "Last stand" sort of gamemode would be great. I love to play that with friends. Four players (or more) along with a squad of bots that help you, against an endless onslaught of enemies.

This is something that's been bugging me as well. Evan Lahti says 3/4 positions on the tank are playable, however there are realistically 5 positions (loader not playable), and in the Russian video didn't we see Gibson going from all playable positions? He went from driver, crawled to the gunner's seat, up to the commander's position, then down to the hull-gunner's seat.

What is this video that you speak of? I have never seen any tank gameplay, let alone the "Mirror's edge" styled transitions. I want to see it.. NOW!

Upvote 0

In the Panzer IV, it's 4 positions controlled by up to 3 human players. What we saw in the video was John showing the position changing that's necessary when the rest of the crew is killed. When your crew is still alive, one player "hot-swaps" between the warm bodies instantly. I hope TWI changes their mind on this, as having a dedicated commander was a real asset to the German tanks for situational awareness. Maybe they figure it'll be a boring role to play, but I say make it optional.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0