• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New mg 34 video by Zips

All I've done is explain the science between why there IS a difference.

Ok, I hate to be that guy, but I do think that their recording of the Mg34 sounds a bit metallic... I have very good bass in my speaker, but I'm still not hearing the "ummpf" (if you will) of the Mg34 in the game. It sounds like ratting cans or something, so I just want to know what environment they were in and or where that sound comes from?

For comparison sake here's a video of someone shooting the Mg34 in different locations but I don't hear that metallic sound except when the brass hits brass. I don't believe there is any echoing in there either. I'm not saying it isn't correct, I just want to know where they got the metallic sound from.

Browning 1919A4 vs. German MG-34 Part 2 - YouTube
check the 1:30 mark to 2:24

And on track about the video... Great video Zips, I'm really glad you took the time to record and post them, Thanks a bunch! You seem to die a lot though lol. I laughed at your 30 sec video where you instantly got shot. Nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
Upvote 0
No one is considering that Youtube sound could be crap, the video recording tool Zips is using could be crap, or his sound drivers could be crap. :p

All I know is what is in this video isn't the fullest of what it sounds like, because its been different in different videos.

Also it sounds exactly like what the MG34 video sounds like cept for the echoing back sound.

IMHO

Upvote 0
Ok, I hate to be that guy, but I do think that their recording of the Mg34 sounds a bit metallic... I have very good bass in my speaker, but I'm still not hearing the "ummpf" (if you will) of the Mg34 in the game. It sounds like ratting cans or something, so I just want to know what environment they were in and or where that sound comes from?

For comparison sake here's a video of someone shooting the Mg34 in different locations but I don't hear that metallic sound except when the brass hits brass. I don't believe there is any echoing in there either. I'm not saying it isn't correct, I just want to know where they got the metallic sound from.

And on track about the video... Great video Zips, I'm really glad you took the time to record and post them, Thanks a bunch! You seem to die a lot though lol. I laughed at your 30 sec video where you instantly get shot. Nice!

You are my forumhero here, thank you

Upvote 0
Haha,

If you read my first post it clearly stated that I wanted something like the sound in the mg 34 video. And if you can't hear the difference, you are deaf. It is a fact.

The sound is very similar, i also confirm.

The video is registered with low quality cam and the sound quility is poor. Also, youtube performs a compression both for audio and video for every uploaded video.

Plus everything said by DiedTrying.

It was easy to understand

Upvote 0
I always enjoy playing ARMA2 on my $90 turtle beach's with volume turned up and bass on full.

Tanks are a little more frightening when your head is shaking.

I hope you use a sound mod. D: I rather dislike ARMA2's sounds (well, mainly the weapons anyway.)

Ok, I hate to be that guy, but I do think that their recording of the Mg34 sounds a bit metallic... I have very good bass in my speaker, but I'm still not hearing the "ummpf" (if you will) of the Mg34 in the game.

It might be the compression or the program and hardware Zips used. Videos can be very deceiving, I'd wait until we can actually get our hands on it to see how it sounds on our systems.

Ontopic: Awesome! I can't wait to see its devastation on a 32-man Russian charge! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I most definitely use a sound mod.

and I thought I posted a response to Juschkat

I guess it didn't go through as I've been having forum issues.

Basically I said the sounds are still similar. I also said that it does in fact sound like RO has modeled some sort of reverberation (guns sounding different in different environments) and this may be one of the reasons for the discrepancy in sound likeness. Also most of the time when the MG was firing, the player was suppressed and I've noticed that sounds get muffled when you are in that state.

Ya'll need to realize that TWI probably had better sound equipment than these guys on youtube when they were collecting the sound. They then look at the sound data and edit it all out except for the original soundwave of the gun firing and the projectile leaving the barrel. As mentioned, the reverb in the real mg34 videos accounts for a lot of the "umpf" as I've already explained with the elongating soundwaves

Reactions: Spindle
Upvote 0
The sound is very similar, i also confirm.

The video is registered with low quality cam and the sound quility is poor. Also, youtube performs a compression both for audio and video for every uploaded video.

Plus everything said by DiedTrying.

It was easy to understand

The thing is I would prefer that over what they use now ;)

Upvote 0
The thing that the MG34 seems to lack in terms of sound ingame from what I've seen so far, is abit more uumph or bass as some call it. They need to increase the thumping abit, then it will sound exactly as the real thing.

Right now they've got the sound of the internal parts moving just right (It is afterall a true recording of the real thing), it's the thump as each shot is released that's missing right now IMO, something you'll hear or should I say 'feel' in real life :)

Upvote 0
Haha,

If you read my first post it clearly stated that I wanted something like the sound in the mg 34 video. And if you can't hear the difference, you are deaf. It is a fact.

You sound just like a 13 year old kid who just had a "great idea" only to be told it was actually rather silly by an adult. Now you're throwing a tantrum until people "admit" you're right.

I bet I'm not far wrong.

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
The thing that the MG34 seems to lack in terms of sound ingame from what I've seen so far, is abit more uumph or bass as some call it. They need to increase the thumping abit, then it will sound exactly as the real thing.

Right now they've got the sound of the internal parts moving just right (It is afterall a true recording of the real thing), it's the thump as each shot is released that's missing right now IMO, something you'll hear or should I say 'feel' in real life :)

This effect has already been discussed, most recently only a couple posts above yours by yours truly

Reactions: Spindle
Upvote 0

The thing you are missing is that the video is recorded using a handycam rather than say professional audio equipment. You'll be amazed just how much difference the microphone makes. My bet is that mic has been designed to cut out a lot of top end to help reduce wind noise.

On top of that you are forgetting that the video and audio has been encoded using an algorithm that loses a lot of the sound in order to compress it.

In other words, it's actually very hard to record a gunshot that sounds the same as it does in person, because audio equipment often can't handle the sound pressures involved, and even when it does, your capability of handling those pressures in person might be different to mine.

In other words if ten different people were standing around the gun, they would probably all hear it slightly differently based on a large number of highly variable factors.

Our brain is designed to deal with and compensate for it. That's why we barely notice the difference in sound between shots in slightly different areas, even though looked at as a waveform the sound might be very different.

If you know what to listen for, though, you can tell a lot about where the gun is, by how it sounds when fired.

As someone else noted, audio simulation in games is nowhere near as realistic as video simulation because games designers have taken a long time to realise that we humans actually learn a lot from what we hear without even noticing it.

For example, in the video when the gunner is by the wall and gets shot at point blank by the Russian who came around the wall, I knew he was about to get attacked because I could not only hear the footsteps, but that they were coming from behind him. Zips didn't seem realise that, which is why he almost died. He seemed to look in the opposite direction to where I heard the sound coming from.

Whether that is because he heard it differently, I'll never know. I just know that when I heard those footsteps, if I had been in control, I would have done a 180, then when I saw there was no one behind me on my side of the wall, I would have known exactly where the Russian was.

Reactions: Uffz.Juschkat
Upvote 0
fwiw, the in-game footage of the MG-34 sounds muted, like it was shot in a room filled with snow and soundproofing.

The footage from that YouTube video sounds like what is heard in Hollywood WW2 movies, which is to say it sounds awesome. However, he is shooting it with a garage behind him which is providing a bit of an echo/reverb effect that enhances the sound signature of the firing.

Notice the footage of him standing out in a field firing it sounds more similar to the in-game footage.

Upvote 0

And on track about the video... Great video Zips, I'm really glad you took the time to record and post them, Thanks a bunch! You seem to die a lot though lol. I laughed at your 30 sec video where you instantly got shot. Nice!

They are recorded on nevada desert. And there is that "umppf", you just need really quality sub-bass capable hardware, not a Logitech system with rumbling bass.

I had to turn my Edifier S530D bass to the max to just barely get the oompf, but now it sounds 100x better. With subwoofer turned down it sounds just... can rattle as you said.

It's really tuned with high fidelity audio gear to sound as real as possible, you wont achieve it with a basic Logitech sound system. Unless they have different audio settings for "hifi" and "pc speakers".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In real life you'd want to be away from a wall that's penetrated by a bullet to avoid shrapnel and debris, does RO2 model that? I assumed that it was a case of "if the bullet passes through, it passes through" with your distance from a wall not making any difference on how lethal it is.

A bullet is a bullet. I don't think I am going to mind wether or not dry wall and peices of 2x4 made it into a wound filled with sharp and deformed metal. And no they probably didn't model that because we aren't playing Red Orchestra: Pirates of Load the Cannon and Duck from Wooden Splinters :D

And all the people wanting louder noises on the firearms need to realise the weapon videos your posting are from crappy hand held cameras where the noise alone is causing crackling in the sound. And you can clearly hear an echoe in all but that garage video, meaning they're firing in a forest or valley.

The only thing I would want added/improved on the sound is what ACE sound mod in ARMA did, which is add the "cracking", "Whizing" and "richochet" sounds in addition to what this game already modeled which is the sound of gunfire echoeing through buildings and sreets. That part they nailed perfectly IMO, same with general weapon sound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0