• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New Map (votes needed)

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
Well since I had the birth of my first child (1/6/08) I going to celebrate it with a map. Those that have enjoyed my tactical maps in the past can look forward hopefully to another one.

But I going to leave it to the majority will power to come up as I go make the map how it should be.

Some slight details on the style of map, it must be maximum 1km x 1km map space, not urban or city, Time based small around the 15-25 minutes.

Some slight rules, you get one vote and only one vote. The votes will be tallied at the cut off time, where the winner influence design.

Cut of time will be 11.59 Friday Night Forum time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So first question , should the map be

A) Historical, that an excerpt from one of the many of the fine books or maps on the eastern front

B) Fictional, a google map selected on the eastern front.

Leshnev!!!

Leshnev!!!

Please, Please, Please do Leshnev! :eek:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26752

I have the Russian battle maps, I have google earth screen shots, I have the first hand battle accounts from the men in the field, I have the order of battle, I have battle line dates, I have force level counts. I have sketched out a map and have working ideas! And I have 0 mapping skills!!!

(hand raised, shaking vigourously) "Oo, oo, oo, pick me!"

I can scan and e-mail all the research material to you for consideration.

Upvote 0
Well as soon as my wife allows me to have the camera again, I definately link some nice pictures of my beautiful girl.

Looks like Historical is definately winning here, so I better get to researching various battles on some the books i have to link some possible scenarios for voting, also any people with any historical battles are welcome to propose them for voting as well.

cpl_hans_buckeye: I have no issue with your battle but it would not fit in the scope of size I am looking at 1km x 1km battlespace and 20-25mins. You map sounds a lot larger in scope about a 2km x 2km battle with 30-50min battle. Unless you want to condense it and look at one segment, the size I am looking at is around probably konigsplatz size or smaller.

Shruek: As for Kharkov its yours actually I wanted to do kharkov or the battle around the university months and months ago I am sure you can find the posts way back then, but needed a mapping break, the university was a bit too big an apple to bite off. I bought a pictorial book which is about the 3rd battle of kharkov (wonderfully detail), so if you need any pictures of a location I may have it, but kharkov battle is so big that you could do a huge amount of different battles there and not run into the same one, but I am sure your more interested in the naming rights RO-Kharkov.rom then the various battles. If you look at my naming coventions I pick the actual battle places not the operations. But nevermind I doubt it be a kharkov related battle but you never know who votes what.

Upvote 0
One of teh maps id love to see done (and to my knowledge doesnt exist yet) is Mameyev Kurgan in Stalingrad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamayev_Kurgan

Could be a great battle over a limited battlefield- germans fighting to get to the summit; russians desperately holding on. The trick would be to have a proper set of defenses that dont just lead to lyeskrovy style run'n'gunning.

Something like:

2 main defensive lines - 1st line has 2 objectives at strategic points, capping one allows the germans supporting fire onto the other. Once both are capped they lock and the battle starts for the summit. Limit the numbers of smg's, give germans and russians a limited amount of artillery.

Upvote 0
One of teh maps id love to see done (and to my knowledge doesnt exist yet) is Mameyev Kurgan in Stalingrad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamayev_Kurgan

Could be a great battle over a limited battlefield- germans fighting to get to the summit; russians desperately holding on. The trick would be to have a proper set of defenses that dont just lead to lyeskrovy style run'n'gunning.

Something like:

2 main defensive lines - 1st line has 2 objectives at strategic points, capping one allows the germans supporting fire onto the other. Once both are capped they lock and the battle starts for the summit. Limit the numbers of smg's, give germans and russians a limited amount of artillery.

Sounds a great suggestion:)

And congratz on your recent arrival Vivid:D

Upvote 0
Shruek: As for Kharkov its yours actually I wanted to do kharkov or the battle around the university months and months ago I am sure you can find the posts way back then, but needed a mapping break, the university was a bit too big an apple to bite off. I bought a pictorial book which is about the 3rd battle of kharkov (wonderfully detail), so if you need any pictures of a location I may have it, but kharkov battle is so big that you could do a huge amount of different battles there and not run into the same one, but I am sure your more interested in the naming rights RO-Kharkov.rom then the various battles. If you look at my naming coventions I pick the actual battle places not the operations. But nevermind I doubt it be a kharkov related battle but you never know who votes what.

I hope you know that I was joking:). I'm a huge fan of your work. Of course, you are 100% correct that there are literally dozens of scenarios that could be created out of the 3rd Battle for Kharkov. Berlin is a good example of how one larger battler has created fertile ground for mappers' imaginations without anyone running into anyone else's work - Konigsplatz, Kriegstadt, Pariserplatz, and so on. Actually, I do have a particular scenario in mind for Kharkov (see my sig) that's based on real actions. In my case I'm working with Divinehammer to recreate Das Reich's actions in the Kholodnaya Gora district of the city.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Good luck with your project whichever scenario you choose here, I know that it'll be a successful one;) If you do decide to go with a Kharkov related one, I've got a bunch of material and books too...also some stuff on the 2nd Battle in May '42 if you're interested drop me a PM. May'42 would tend to lend itself to tank battles and I don't know if you want to do that kind of scenario.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shurek: No worries, I wasn't taking it too seriously, kharkov may 42, if you have a scenario in mine that fits the parameters specificed then list it and see how the voting goes for it.

Divinehammer: Sorry, City and Street maps do not fit in the defined parameters.

I going to add this to the nomination list, unfortunately at the moment is a semi-historical nomination, as I know the fight took place here but I cannot narrow it down to the square km it took place in.

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps/1941NW/Baltic/21MC_Daugavpils_June28_July3_41.jpg

54 Pz Korps controlled by General Erich von Manstein, cross the at dvinsk and created a bridgehead

After the seizure of the Dvina bridges and the fall of Dvinsk, the leading formations of LVI Panzer Corps furiously set about enlarging the bridgehead. On June 25th, marshal Semyon Timoshenko ordered Colonel-General Kuznetsov to organize a defense of the West Dvina, by deploying 8th Army on the right bank of the river from Riga to Livani while 11th Army would defend Livani-Kraslava sector. Colonel-General Kuznetsov also decided to use Major-General Berzarin's 27th Army. Berzarin was to pull his troops off the Dago and Osel islands and out of Riga and bring them to Daugavpils. At the same time Stavka released Major-General Lelyushenko's 21st Mechanized Corps from Moscow Military District to cooperate with 27th Army; Lelyushenko had 98 tanks and 129 guns.
At 5:00 AM, on June 28th, Lelyushenko attacked upon Kuznetsov's orders in attempt to destroy the German bridgehead near Daugavpils. von Manstein halted on Dvina but on the next day he attacked, striking along the Daugavpils-Ostrov highway. At Riga on the afternoon of June 29th, the Germans crossed the railway bridge over the Dvina and on 30 June Soviet troops withdrew on the right bank of the river and by July 1st were in retreat to Estonia. A priceless opportunity now offered itself to the Germans. An immediate drive forwards would make it almost impossible for the Soviets to defend Leningrad. However, it was not to be, orders received with disbelief by the tank men were to wait for the infantry to arrive, in the end the wait would last almost a week.
Colonel-General Kuznetsov was removed as Front commander by Timoshenko and Sobennikov, 8th Army commander, took over the Front, effective from July 4th. Timoshenko issued a directive on June 29th to the North-Western Front stipulating that in the event of a withdrawal from the Western Dvina, the next river line, the Vilikaia, was to be held and every effort made to get Soviet troops installed there. Despite this the river Vilikaia line had fallen rapidly at July 8th and the rail and road bridges remained intact. Pskov itself fell on the evening of July 9th. The 11th Army commander was therefore ordered to move to Dno. The crumbling of the North-West front on the Velikaya and the German sweep to Luga were grave set-backs and the 8th Army was being rammed inexorably towards the Gulf of Finland. But the German pause had given time for the Soviets to rush in more troops to defend Leningrad and the battle for the city would be long and hard.

I will am highlighting the 42nd motorised division (Russian), against the 3rd motorized division (german) defence attack centred around a church, google map coordinates 55 55 35N, 26 43 22E with a battle space of 600m x 600m square.

Hopefully we will have a list of maps to vote on by friday, please guys go ahead and list more semi historical and historical if you can find them battle maps and accounts, please attach a google location as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VIVID i have the perfect scenario for you!

poteau ambush!
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l121/houx_2006/0008.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://home.scarlet.be/poteau44/Poteau_photo_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://home.scarlet.be/poteau44/Poteau_historyEn.html&h=500&w=750&sz=71&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=3sDlQAvsVtVnuM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpoteau%2Bambush%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

i always wanted to do this map myself someday, but im working on other ardennes map atm. i would love to see it being done and it seems to fit perfectly your description.

on 18 december 44 the KG hansen from 1SS. ambushed the american 14th cavalry group on the road between Recht and Poteau. the battle is verry well documented, both sides were supported by armor and it's where this famous picture was taken

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/543/11Wehrmacht.jpg

i suppose you must have seen the great potential of DH, and im more than willing to share with you all my SM's, trees, textures, skins and knowledge!

Upvote 0
DH: To tell you the truth I have not downloaded it yet, the east front still draws me far more then the west front will ever do, considering the scope and battles but if it is voted that this is the map, then this is the map that must be done. Ok guys I going to list in a new thread the four potential maps.

and also a nice like link to the vid of my daughter.

Upvote 0