• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design New map (secret :p)

Rospantern

Sep 25, 2014
Hi guys.

I'm all new to this so please treat me as a noob :)
Currently working on a map idea I had yesterday, but i need help since I have no idea ti make trenches. I tried to google it and searched here on the forum aswell but i didnt find anything. So how can I raise/remove the terrain to create a solid trench?

Cheers for the help.

I actually found a good tutorial here on the forum after a couple of searches, kinda odd it didn't show when I search the forum but when I used Google.... :)

So bare with me as this is a Work in Progress! I'm currently trying to get a good trench line so with artillery batteries, this is what I've done so far so any suggestion of changes are welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Namnl_s.jpg
    Namnl_s.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
A couple of things to consider when you're thinking about making trenches. You are pretty much stuck with 3 options: you can use the stock trenches from the HOS maps, the slightly more "forgiving" trench meshes from RS or you can set the drawscale3D to a really low number (<64) and use the terrain tools to carve them out of your terrain. If you use the stock HOS or RS meshes you're pretty much stuck with only a handful of shapes that will likely not be exactly what you want. The trenches will look very "stiff" and not very realistic. On the other hand, if you use a very small drawscale3D (64 UU's or less) you can use the terrain tools to make a more "natural" looking trench system but will be limited as to how large the map can be (small drawscale3d settings make the engine work really hard and frame rate will suffer). For this map (if it is Brecourt ;^ ) you might be able to get away with the small drawscale3D.

How large is your terrain right now and what are the drawscale3D settings?

Upvote 0
The map is 400 x 352 and the drawscale are set to 64, 64 and 256.
Since I am very new to the whole SDK thing I do not know what it can handle. I've looked at some other maps such as Demyansk and a couple of RS maps to see how TWI made their trenches.

Edit: I decided to change the trench.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0