• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Interview?

Someone should just make a large thread with all the questions regarding the realism mode (what it is and isn't) and what options are allowed in the custom mode.

Just list all of the major questions in the OP. The devs can respond to it when they can or if they wish. It would be easier for them to deliver answers rather than looking through many threads discussing the same issues.

Questions I'd like to see clarified would be:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed for long time players)?

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums?

6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?

These are some of the things I am confused about at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, let us look at it this way.

Arm and Hammer baking soda tripled their sales when they told people they can use their product for not just baking, but for absorbing odor from the fridge and cleaning your food disposal.

This is sort of what TWI is doing. Getting the most bang for their buck. However, Arm and Hammer didn't have to actually change their product to find new uses for it.

But I agree with a point Lebanon alluded to in that there are people who play fast paced shoot em ups who are growing tired of them and are looking for realistic alternatives (see project realism's popularity). HOS could attract that growing (and aging) market with both relaxed realism, and realism versions of HOS. Is it a huge market? No; but it's certainly a market ripe for picking.

Upvote 0
Someone should just make a large thread with all the questions regarding the realism mode (what it is and isn't) and what options are allowed in the custom mode.

Just list all of the major questions in the OP. The devs can respond to it when they can or if they wish. It would be easier for them to deliver answers rather than looking through many threads discussing the same issues.

Questions I'd like to see clarified would be:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed for long time players)?

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums?

6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?

These are some of the things I am confused about at the moment.
YES! Exactly.

Upvote 0
Then you haven't read the thread.

Let me sum it up for you. Let's say you have two girlfriends (that'll never happen); can you give 100% of your attention to both?

Doesn't make sense at all.

By that logic there wouldn't be any vehicles in RO (Oh, the drama was similar iirc.).

KF wouldn't even exist in its current form, because you could never work on 2 games at the same time.

Upvote 0
Then you haven't read the thread.

Let me sum it up for you. Let's say you have two girlfriends (that'll never happen); can you give 100% of your attention to both?

yes, but one is smarter than the other. The smart one demands most of the attention, and after many hours with the smarter one..it's much easier to have your way with the dumb one.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Doesn't make sense at all.

By that logic there wouldn't be any vehicles in RO (Oh, the drama was similar iirc.).

KF wouldn't even exist in its current form, because you could never work on 2 games at the same time.

1. I have no idea what you are even going on about.
2. I have to seriously question your math skills

What does splitting attention have to do with whether or not vehicles are in RO?

Also, where did I say you could never do 2 things at once?

Seems to me like you are just looking to be a jackass

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This actually made me lol
However, if both knew about it
and were cool with it
you could give 100% of the attention needed to both
We split our time between girlfriends and video games anyways :p
I may have to cut back on video games, but 2 girlfriends could work.... :p

More on topic,

I think people should go about creating said thread that Flogger suggested asking questions about realism
Hopefully it would stand a better chance at receiving an answer (assuming it does not get turned into a flamewar)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no idea what you are even going on about.

What does splitting attention have to do with whether or not vehicles are in RO?

Also, where did I say you could never do 2 things at once?

Seems to me like you are just looking to be a jackass

There was a time in the mod development when there were no vehicles. TWI added vehicles because they felt it would help them in the MSU competition and gain a wider audience. People were arguing both ways, people claimed it would split the community and take away TWI's attention to the infantry part, etc.

TWI obviously did what they felt was best, and now we have vehicles in RO. That has gone even further to TWI putting as much detail in it as they are now.

At least I think this is what he's referring to. People had the options to play tank/vehicle maps and infantry and combined arms, and does anyone really complain about those choices these days? We'll have those kinds of choices relating to level of realism involved gameplay.

Also, calling people names isn't nice.

Upvote 0
There was a time in the mod development when there were no vehicles. TWI added vehicles because they felt it would help them in the MSU competition and gain a wider audience. People were arguing both ways, people claimed it would split the community and take away TWI's attention to the infantry part, etc.

TWI obviously did what they felt was best, and now we have vehicles in RO. That has gone even further to TWI putting as much detail in it as they are now.

At least I think this is what he's referring to. People had the options to play tank/vehicle maps and infantry and combined arms, and does anyone really complain about those choices these days? We'll have those kinds of choices relating to level of realism involved gameplay.

Also, calling people names isn't nice.

Okay, I get the reference (played very little of the mod version)

But that just reinforces my point that you simply can't devote 100% to two separate things.

The best you can do is 50/50 which is what TWI did with the tanks/infantry. Neither one really got any preferential treatment.

What I'm worried about is if the new game modes lose this 50/50 balance and relaxed realism (possibly with more players) demands more and the realism side is forgotten.

It's a realistic possibility. Not sure how that doesn't make any sense at all

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
Well, let us look at it this way.

Arm and Hammer baking soda tripled their sales when they told people they can use their product for not just baking, but for absorbing odor from the fridge and cleaning your food disposal.

This is sort of what TWI is doing. Getting the most bang for their buck. However, Arm and Hammer didn't have to actually change their product to find new uses for it.

this is the best comparison i've seen thus far. unfortunately, RO2 appears to have significant changes compared to RO...the extent and impact of those changes is still mostly unknown to us because TW continues to keep everyone in the dark regarding the "Realism" gamemode. when bits of info come out (i.e. the rare weapons, appearingly gamey progression system, unlockable weapons like the bayos) that are contradictory to what's been said in the past, of course people are going to be concerned. add to that we see official comments being made that essentially say "we've been mostly focused at market to ex. group of players ("casual", COD/BF players etc...), and that just fuels the fires even more.

I think people should go about creating said thread that Flogger suggested asking questions about realism
Hopefully it would stand a better chance at receiving an answer (assuming it does not get turned into a flamewar)

there's actually a list that's already being worked on by some of the RO "vets" who've been frequently posting in this thread....a combination of questions and suggestions of what should be in a "Classic RO" gamemode.....

not like i'm literally trying to speak for "everybody" or the "RO community", but imo TW's best move would be to have 3 preset gamemodes:

1.) Relaxed Realism - the current one they've already planned on to make the game more accessable to new comers to the game
2.) Classic - the standard, default game mode that is as similar to the original RO stlye as possible.
3.) Realism - more "realistic" than the original RO...i.e. delayed/no deathmessages, extremely limited/no hud, no rare weapons etc...

then everyone is catered to

Upvote 0
Okay, I get the reference (played very little of the mod version)

But that just reinforces my point that you simply can't devote 100% to two separate things.

The best you can do is 50/50 which is what TWI did with the tanks/infantry. Neither one really got any preferential treatment.

What I'm worried about is if the new game modes lose this 50/50 balance and relaxed realism (possibly with more players) demands more and the realism side is forgotten.

It's a realistic possibility. Not sure how that doesn't make any sense at all

I don't really see this as much a valid point,considering RO without tanks wouldn't be RO, so Tank/infantry is 100% RO now, now they are catering to two sides again, and its going to be 50/50 again.

Team fortress 2 has like 5 games modes, no one complains about the community being separated. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't really see this as much a valid point,considering RO without tanks wouldn't be RO, so Tank/infantry is 100% RO now, now they are catering to two sides again, and its going to be 50/50 again.

Team fortress 2 has like 5 games modes, no one complains about the community being separated. :rolleyes:

thats because there gametypes not game modes. the what your talking about is like bfbc2 rush and conquest mode (not there HC and SC) or ro2's firefight, territory, there one life game mode.

the closest thing tf2 has to that would be competitive play. :)

Reactions: DiedTrying
Upvote 0
thats because there gametypes not game modes. the what your talking about is like bfbc2 rush and conquest mode (not there HC and SC) or ro2's firefight, territory, there one life game mode.

the closest thing tf2 has to that would be competitive play. :)

Realism and relaxed realism are simply game modes on the same game.

One has a HUD and the other has a limited HUD, one has rare weapons one doesn't.

The bullets don't change, the game physics, damage, player moments, all stay the same. I'd say its a different game but it isn't, its the same bloody game with tweaks everywhere to appeal to the realism crowd. Most people are overlooking this.

Just to spite everyone I'm going to use a Call of duty example of Normal vs Hardcore. Same game, act a bit different obviously, but same game.

Upvote 0