• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Darkest Hour mod media!

This might be a stupid question but how's it going to be balanced since US infantry will all have semi-auto rifles (garands) and germans will mostly have k98s?
Using tactics?
German infantry groups mostly relied on there MG.
A single MG42 made up to 75% of the whole firepower of a german infantry squad.
So: Make sure there's a good position for your MG, hold the Americans down with the MG and flank them with the Kar's and MP's.
Later, the StG44 maybe will balance it a bit more...

Upvote 0
Using tactics?
German infantry groups mostly relied on there MG.
A single MG42 made up to 75% of the whole firepower of a german infantry squad.
So: Make sure there's a good position for your MG, hold the Americans down with the MG and flank them with the Kar's and MP's.
Later, the StG44 maybe will balance it a bit more...

couldnt have said it better myself which is why i guess i didn't

Upvote 0
yeh u can reload the garand mid clip, having fired one in real life though once u get the technique down u can actually reload it pretty quickly mid clip, i guess not everyone using one in battle wud have been this well practiced or had as much time but still its not quite as hard to do as a lot of people make out.

Upvote 0
This might be a stupid question but how's it going to be balanced since US infantry will all have semi-auto rifles (garands) and germans will mostly have k98s?

That's exactly what I expect by playing infantry battles in DH. That's good that DH developers are not going to make some another arcade game for kids but they are doing this very seriously and they are trying to reflect real western front. I want that unbalance, I want finally real war which was 60 years ago, not some bull**** which is all the time like some CoD, MOHAA, and that doesn't mean that I want easily kick *** germans. No, I just exactly want feel that american superiority of their semi auto rifles by playing as a german rifleman. And that's good also that DH developers are playing for keeps about tank battles and they are using Armored Beasts code.

I hope that DH developers won't exaggerate limits of rifles like some authors of RO maps and they will keep a little realism. Although some german units had only smg but still were mostly rifles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the type of terrain is going to help the mg42 a lot, but my question is if the mg42 is going to get a little love like Kreigstadt. I'd really be happy if it simply went back to the way it was pre-Ost... the current 42 doesn't really live up to the gun's reputation.

Evil Hobbo has given us his code for the Mg42 and we are using it. anything that makes things feel and perform as they should do, will be seriously look at and if it fits into our design it will be implemented.

Upvote 0
D3terioNation said:
The garand will most likely perform exactly like the SVT!

If you want it to be a bad rifle the Svt-40 had numerous problems which led to its decline in 1942 in favor of the mosin nagant and to its eventual discontentment.

D3terioNation said:
IMO no gun should be 'easy' to use. But the mg42 in the right hands, ie someone who has sacrificed alot of their time mastering it, it is fookin deadly!
I've always had problems hitting anything further than point-blank range with the Mg-42. I just stopped using it totally until Evil hobo's verison that is which is excellent!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want it to be a bad rifle the Svt-40 had numerous problems
problems hitting anything further than point-blank range with the Mg-42

Random thought but what if someone switched the Svt 40/Dp 28 ballistic properties with that of the G43/MG42 seeing that these german weapons are somewhat "off"?

Resistance and Liberation

Looks good but I hope its more realism than Day Of Defeat:)

Reactions: TT33
Upvote 0
Yeah, I check up on RNL from time to time, they seem to be finally getting some good work done.
Yeah... it seems like animators (or lack of them) tend to slow things down. We need another one pretty bad. After that, it's only a matter of polishing what's in the beta, testing, and releasing!

I hope it's the same case with this mod as well...

Upvote 0
yeh the problem with animating is it is hard, time consuming thankless work. Someone once said the sign of a good animation is that no one notices it (i.e. that you see it in game and just think "hey thats how id pull out a gun" etc) and this is very true. Everyone wants OMFG shinyeeez gfx but animation really makes or breaks a game.

Upvote 0