• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Berserker Feedback

FoolishNinja

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
Soo I played few rounds as level 25 zerker on HoE mostly and I must say its better than before, but it needs some tweaks and improvements on few things.

The Good:

-More variety in perk skills, you have a lot of interesting skills to choose
-Does great damage on trash zeds and mostly 1-hitting them with a Zweih

I've had a similar experience, although I find Berserker to be worse than before. This is probably due to how I played Berserker, sort of like a Knight on the chessboard, zigging and zagging from major conflicts relying on my speed and block/parry to save my comrades. I can't get a very good mixture of speed and durability out of the tree, though I'd be willing to give up damage for it. This is clearly by design, it is the first choice you make.

For me, I would say...

The Good:
- More variety in perk skills, good choices at most tiers
- Crovel and Zweihander are exciting and effective
- Improved performance outside of the group in early waves because of the regeneration and vampire skills
- Greater synergy with Commando

The Bad:
- Pulverizer feels ineffective (Heavy Crovel will kill a Slasher, Light Pulverizer usually takes two hits)
- The central choice between health and speed leaves you either unable to get into/out of combat, or unable to actually duel when in combat

The Ugly:
- Parry seems much worse, and the choice in the tree is agonizing
- Resistance against melee weapons

I don't really feel it is better balanced now, particularly when it comes to kiting, but it is in the same ballpark if teams are camping. The perk was already good against trash and could solo the first few rounds. A lot of the changes in the preview are to the benefit of the Sharpshooter, but I felt that we needed to elevate the other perks to meet Berserker, Medic, Gunslinger and Firebug, rather than cut any of those down. A difference in philosophy, if you will.

All this said, I think some tweaks to this Berserker, mostly along the lines that Ninja and I are in accord on, will make for a pretty good perk.

TL/DR:
Parry and block should be looked at to improve survivability, countering and fun.
The skill choices are good, but they don't enable dueling and the tank half strongly favours camping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He needs the parry stumble back and some trash Zed resistances to slashing and bludgeon toned down a bit and he is fine.

Vampire could also be changed into something like "for every kill you make, regenerate 6 health over 3 seconds." This way it'll provide consistent sustain over short periods instead of useless burst heal. And make fighting trash better.

It could also increase damage per kill by 5% up to 20% max for 5 seconds. As long as you'd be killing the stacks would not disappear. Just to make it an appealing alternative to the obvious winner in it's category.

Or maybe get rid of vampire altogether and give him something like this.

Fervor
"Attacking an enemy grants you 5% more movement and attack speed for 10 seconds up to a maximum of 30%. Upon reaching maximum stacks, kills made will restore 5% of your maximum health."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A lot of the changes in the preview are to the benefit of the Sharpshooter, but I felt that we needed to elevate the other perks to meet Berserker, Medic, Gunslinger and Firebug, rather than cut any of those down. A difference in philosophy, if you will.

This is exactly what I have been saying. The power of these perks felt good. We could say that the Beserker was overpowered in some ways, but a lot of that could alleviated with better AI. The GunSligner and Firebug were great examples of perks that felt powerful and did their job, without being able to take 6 man HOE by themselves (maybe a really good GS...).

But with nerfing them to the same utility as the not so strong perks, we create more perks that are underwhelming to play. I'll have to do some playing around to really get a feel of all of the changes though.

And slightly off topic, but who would have thought the Sharp Shooter would be released as an OP killing machine? :p Just solo'd HOE Defence Thy Self as a level 8 SS, even sticking around for the boss. The Railgun was one shotting the big threats left right and center...

Upvote 0
Most other perks get considerable rewards for skilled play. However, despite perfect blocks and parries zerkers now still get literally wrecked.

I admit 90% for hammer, for example, might be too effective, but 40% is indeed too much (TW really love overdoing things...) 60-70%, for instance, should be good.

Upvote 0
I'm glad the zerker/medic camping is not a viable strategy anymore but I really feel the perk is too weak now... Even with butcher I have troubles dealing damage with my weapons. Maybe it's the new resistance system or something, but I feel like the crovel light deals more damage than the pulverizer's ... And the zweihander is incredibly weak now.

The vlad is also quite underpowered against crawlers and trash in general.

I'm glad the zerker isn't the massive health tank that mows everything down anymore, but I'd like to at least being able to mow everything down as a glass cannon :(

Upvote 0
He seems good and powerful to me but his damage tree, like every perk damage tree right now, is niche for what you can already kill easily. The perk skills themselves look okay but I can't get an accurate bead on how effective the damage/skirmisher tree is until resistances are brought in line.

The tanking tree however ignores resistances because it is all about outlasting everything anyway. So it's actually really good! With the flinch locking youcan really properly tank with zerk which is nice, it also serves a good "bodyguard" role like before.

Upvote 0
I agree although what does "parry is even more useless now" mean? Was it useless before? I'd rather figured it OP. Parry stumble seems unreliable and it's not clear to me yet when I can expect to get a counter-attack window.

Btw, you can solo scrakes just as smoothly as a sharpshooter if you take the eviscerator. 3 head shots, 2 with parry active.

Big zeds got the unparryable attacks, and the stumble was good but not great (talking about 1v1). Attacking and stumbling was more effective than parry.

Ye evi got a huge buff, but im not a fan of a 10kg heavy weapon. You cant even have a melee weapon as a melee perk.

Upvote 0
Big zeds got the unparryable attacks, and the stumble was good but not great (talking about 1v1). Attacking and stumbling was more effective than parry.

Ye evi got a huge buff, but im not a fan of a 10kg heavy weapon. You cant even have a melee weapon as a melee perk.

Yeah I think it's to try and get you to use the T4. Thing is, the reason you've stated is the reason, I believe, evis got this kind of skepticism around it and unwillingness to accept it in the first place. It wasn't incredible performance-wise but this struck me as the primary reason.

If they want people to use other weapons they should really provide incentives, not whack you when you take the "wrong choice". Being able to carry a hammer or nailgun with it would probably have made it used a ton more, but instead we are faffing around with damage types to try and get people to take it I assume. All they needed to do was provide real incentive like being able to actually carry a second melee/nail weapon. Any zerker here, tell me: would you have given evis more of a chance if you still had the option to fall back on another weapon?

Upvote 0
The pros and cons of eviscerator aside - am I the only one who thinks headshotting scrakes with the zweihander is overly difficult especially when compared to other weapons?

It looks like there is only a very small specific area you have to center your screen on in order for your attack to count as a headshot. The same area seems be much bigger for the pulverizer and guns as well.
Half the time, I get slashing FX that go right through a scrakes head and yet magically only hit the torso? All of this while testing solo offline ofc.

Upvote 0
Personally I've always found consistent headshots on big zeds with melee weapons difficult. I can get one every now and then, usually the swing when I first make contact with the zed, but after that it's one to the neck and another to the shoulder etc. That's been that way for me for a while though so it may just be my terrible accuracy.

Either way I wasn't able to rely on big zed knockdown before unless it was my first charging hit.

Upvote 0
For the most part new berzerker is fine, some tweaking to the zed resistances and maybe a couple skills is in order but for the most part I am still able to survive on hoe. I do however miss the passive move speed. I would have gladly given up more damage for mobility and durability. I also loved using the speed to get to fights and protect my team mates. Overall though its def not op anymore which is good, still will always love the zerk!

Upvote 0