• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need help with argument! Best tank?

Need help with argument! Best tank?

• Total voters

EvilAmericanMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
Today on the bus ride home my friend and I got into an argument about tanks. He argued the Merkeva and T-90 were the best tanks in the world, and the other, western tanks (Leopard 2, Abrams, Challenger 2 etc.) were, I quote, "pieces of ****". I say that the Abrams tank is is the most capable tank in the world, based on the fact it's been used in more combat than the others. So, RO community, what type of tank would YOU take to go into war?

And you may call bias since I'm American but he's Russian so who's to say there's no bias there?

Americans will say Abrams since it has been sucessful in combat.
Germans and people who have some knowledge about MBT's will say Leopard 2
Brits will say Challenger
Klaus will say Merkeva
Rss will say the T90 because he lives in a soviet fantasy world.

Leopard 2 is considered the best tank in the world, but it's not combat tested. Abrams has seen combat but against crappy T72's and other obsolete soviet junk.

Leopard 2 gets my vote. It's armor and fire power are better then anything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M1 Abra... No, wait a second!

img002.jpg

T-90 it is.

t90-5.jpg

Sichartshofen, T-90 is not even a soviet tank! :D It simply has the qualities to be world's best tank.
It is hard choise though, Leo 2A6 is really something.

Upvote 0
it looks like that tank is wo-manned. Amirite?

It could be, not sure though. This picture of T-90 shows very well a bulldozer blade, under the glacis.

Sichartshofen, T-72 cannot be described as crap as M1 hasn't faced them. Very few T-72s were exported to Iraq. Iraqis used domestic Asad Babil, which was T-72 clone, with sustandard armor (no ceramics, not even sand rods) and substandard weaponry. See my previous posts about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well you have to remember, the enemies tha the West faces today do not have the best equipment in the world. So Soviet junk i sreally all they can get. Until the French and the Germans or British go at it again we will not know for sure I suppose!

China or India, perhaps? India has more active T-90s than Russia, as far as I know.

BTW, this list lacks many high-end tanks. Type 99 of PRC, Ch'onma-ho of DPRK and M84 of Serbia.

Upvote 0
I'd say Leopard 2. Since I'm not tank engineer, I don't really know any details on how the tanks differ from each other - any details that make a real difference in combat performance that is - but German engineering is the best in the world and the Finnish Defense Forces use Leopard 2A4. Also, it's one of the more modern tanks in the poll, although it too has its roots in the 70's. If the tanks were put on field against each other, the one that successfully fired and hit first would win.

The reputation of Merkava's was in my eyes torn down a bit in the war of Lebanon, where most of Israeli casualties were caused by Hezbollah anti-tank missiles and mines destroying their MBTs.

Abrams is combat proven, but only against completely obsolete T-72's with incompetent crews and insurgents armed with old RPGs. Does not really give any idea on how it would perform against a modern, well trained and well armed army.

T-90 I don't know much about. Fast, light and has a low profile. No idea on how it has performed on the field.

Challenger is probably a good tank, but plays in a different league with Leopard and Abrams.

Upvote 0
By Munchkin tank I mean the fact that a T72 crew would have to be 5'6 to fit comfortably in it.

It's a further development of T-72, and I fit well in T-72 (172 cm). Figure it out.

@MkH^, I've seen some photos of T-72B(M) (next step is T-90) which had taken several RPG hits and ATGMs on their side armor. Tank was unharmed and continued to fight.

Upvote 0