• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My thread which you should read and not flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittlesareyum47

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Look guys, I've been around this forums a long time. I love TWI and I love RO, as I do this community. I hate to be THAT guy who makes this post, but I've had concerns about a few things that I've been scared to post about, in fear of my reputation being tarnished. I don't want to hold back any more. So I'm just going to get it out here and say it!!! (I'm a homosexual... j/k lulz that's not it silly!)

The whole persistent stat tracking, ranking up system, unlocking weapons, unlocking different ammo types, unlocking different gun attachments, and the like kind of have me worried. I wouldn't say worried, since I don't think this franchise is going down the drain or anything, it's just that... like...well, errrr COME ON SON. I mean guys, let's think about this. Of course this is TWI's way of trying to get new players, and make it more accessible. A respectable goal of course. We all like to get paper, be it slinging crack to kids, selling bootleg dvd's or maybe you are the type of person who makes your game more accessible in the hopes of getting more people to play aka buying it aka MOAR MONEY. THE THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS... is that I think the core fan base, as in the people have stuck by for just about evar to support this game, aren't really into that type of madness. Not only that, but the people who will be playing this game in a 3 years form now won't be the ones who got it because AW MAN DUDE YOU I LIKE, GET A BAYONET ON MAH MKB42 BRO. Instead they will be the guys who bought the game, be it new comers or old timers, because it is a realistic and fun game, and provides a unique experience. After all, where else can you blow the head of of a Nazi, AND a Commie in the same round? Damn hippies they are. That said, some of the stuff being added is pretty peculiar. It's like a punk guy hanging out with my daughter. They don't belong together. What it all comes down to, is in a few years from now when most of the baggage of the community has moved on to other things, and it is just us bros being bros together in RO2, we will be the ones who were ticked off by this crap, and continue to be pissed off by it.

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking, this guy is obviously a jack *** and also doesn't know what he's talking about and is wrong. And I have this to say!!! I DO know what I'm talking about! Take that society.

COMMENCE THE HATE.

Last edited:
1. Please can the "Realism group" please stop being self entitled so much?

"When the rest of the community baggage is gone"
~ Implying anyone that doesn't play 100% realism is somehow inferior.

"it is just us bros being bros together in RO2, we will be the ones who were ticked off by this crap, and continue to be pissed off by it."

Again implies that you'll be the only ones around still, which frankly pisses me off, as a person that loves realism games as well as more abstract games. It offends me greatly. I just joined this community around 1st quarter of this year, and actually bought ROOST a month ago.
So yeah, I've hardly seen realism guys at all, most are common players.

2. Trust TWI, they have options to turn things off, turn off unlockables, heroes etc etc.

It's probably been mentioned like 75 times in the last day alone. TRUST THEM.

3. How will people ever know or play a game that is completely outside their spectrum, this could be a good gateway game with these so called "bad features" and they slowly like the more realistic stuff.
Liking realism and playing RO which happens to like to cater to you folks, doesn't mean your entitled to demand the game be shaped around your principles.

I feel like I've joined this community and while ingame everyone is great, on the forums I feel like I'm being looked down on because I'm an "outsider" how is it going to feel when thousands of people come on this forum, exploring the great treasure that is the game, and we have this group of elitists griping about the mess they are making on the carpet.

EDIT: And yeah sorry I flamed even though the title said not to, but you said commence hate, so I did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~ Implying anyone that doesn't play 100% realism is somehow inferior.

Again implies that you'll be the only ones around still, which frankly pisses me off, as a person that loves realism games as well as more abstract games. It offends me greatly. I just joined this community around 1st quarter of this year, and actually bought ROOST a month ago.
So yeah, I've hardly seen realism guys at all, most are common players.

2. Trust TWI, they have options to turn things off, turn off unlockables, heroes etc etc.

It's probably been mentioned like 75 times in the last day alone. TRUST THEM.

3. How will people ever know or play a game that is completely outside their spectrum, this could be a good gateway game with these so called "bad features" and they slowly like the more realistic stuff.
Liking realism and playing RO which happens to like to cater to you folks, doesn't mean your entitled to demand the game be shaped around your principles.

I feel like I've joined this community and while ingame everyone is great, on the forums I feel like I'm being looked down on because I'm an "outsider" how is it going to feel when thousands of people come on this forum, exploring the great treasure that is the game, and we have this group of elitists griping about the mess they are making on the carpet.

I'm not saying I WILL. I'm saying the guys who love the game (like you) will be, not the ones who are attracted for cheap gimmicks and move on to play BF or CoD. And yeah the hate is a bit inevitable. This is the internet after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All of the things that people post and don't like are optional. 90% of the things people on this forum have issue with are optional.

If we could all stop with the drastic over-reaction it'd be much nicer around here.

I've been following RO for longer than all but a few and I honestly don't see the problem.

The game mechanics of RO will never be CoD, or BF - so don't go thinking they will. And you cannot begrudge TWI for wanting to bring more players to RO and the way RO plays - why should they sit back whilst publishers like activision and EA, and franchises like Call of Duty hog all the limelight?

Sitting back and making a game for a small audience is not a long term solution for a developer, certainly not an independent one. You have to be at least a little aggressive in order to survive; in order to make the awesome games they do.

TWI's business strategy (from the outside, and in my opinion) is one of the best I've known from a developer/publisher. As Alan posted in one of the other threads, trust them. Or please just get over it.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
I'm not saying I WILL. I'm saying the guys who love the game (like you) will be, not the ones who are attracted for cheap gimmicks and move on to play BF or CoD.

Fair point, but the #1 issue everyone is not getting is this:

People who love this game (Like you and me) aren't all against these features.
People keep making the relationship between people that want the ranking up/stats/heroes
with the people that care nothing for realism and or the core values of the game.

In otherwords.

Liking the addition of such features =/= Call of duty frat boy.

And branding us as such has to stop.

Believe it or not, the one thing I'm worried about in this game is nothing to do with clothes, weapons, ranking up, or any of this other nonsense. The one that has me worried is the Cover system. I've only seen a few vidoes of it, and from what I've seen I'm worried about how it will make players behave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schreq
Upvote 0
I'm not saying I WILL. I'm saying the guys who love the game (like you) will be, not the ones who are attracted for cheap gimmicks and move on to play BF or CoD.

What a load of nonsense. I know of plenty of folks like myself that play RO and love it and we sure as hell enjoy other games with less realism as well.

Anyhow, we've server options for pretty much anything, how can you possibly be worried or even bother to care at all?
Just disable the stuff you don't like and/or join a server that has your preferences.

I am also curious to know, how on earth would it make things better if we didn't have the options and we forced the game to a certain rule-set without all these features? Do you think it would become more popular and played for a longer period of time if that was the case?

Most certainly not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing is for certain: there is no stopping them; the game will soon be here. And I, for one, trust our Tripwire overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusting customer, I can be helpful in rounding up others to have fun in their underground RO2 games.

... *cough*

Personally, I'm going to really enjoy persistent player stats with unlockables. I like realism games an awful lot, and I also love games that have persistent player stats that give you rewards to work towards. RO2 combines both, and I know that I am going to absolutely love it. An awful lot of other people are going to, as well, and for those who don't, they always have the ability to switch that stuff off serverside, am I right?

Upvote 0
Agreed. So whats the solution?

Should TW NOT develop more broadly and see a return on their hard work and investment?

Should they go Non Profit and develop for the small nitch group here?

Seems to me that you're making a valid.... yet moot point. Its configurable (To what extent we shall see) TW hasn't turned their back on their loyal fanbase. It's going to be ok.

I know it's hard seeing "your game" turn into something that has options will appeal to "Outsider Dudez". But opening up and perhaps expanding the community (Even 6 months after release when alot drop off) can only be a good thing. It's obvious people are passionate about RO1, and that's awesome! But it seems like many are arguing both sides or moot points. You've put so many hours playing with good friends. You WANT this game to be everything RO1, but more!! And there are some OPTIONS that might appeal to a broader audience. ITS. O.K.

Hell, to me, you're all silly twitch players compared to ARMA. But I am willing to see what TW is doing with their game. And MORE than willing to back up a brave developer with my financial dollars.

Give the game a chance first before we start crying foul.

Upvote 0
All of the things that people post and don't like are optional. 90% of the things people on this forum have issue with are optional.

If we could all stop with the drastic over-reaction it'd be much nicer around here.

I've been following RO for longer than all but a few and I honestly don't see the problem.

The game mechanics of RO will never be CoD, or BF - so don't go thinking they will. And you cannot begrudge TWI for wanting to bring more players to RO and the way RO plays - why should they sit back whilst publishers like activision and EA, and franchises like Call of Duty hog all the limelight?

Sitting back and making a game for a small audience is not a long term solution for a developer, certainly not an independent one. You have to be at least a little aggressive in order to survive; in order to make the awesome games they do.

TWI's business strategy (from the outside, and in my opinion) is one of the best I've known from a developer/publisher. As Alan posted in one of the other threads, trust them. Or please just get over it.

I agree with you, it isn't turning into CoD or BF. Also, I stated in a lengthy sentence that making money (attracting new peole) is nothing bad. Also about the stuff being opional, the man has spoken truth. But I wonder how many servers will actually disable it.

Upvote 0
I agree with you, it isn't turning into CoD or BF. Also, I stated in a lengthy sentence that making money (attracting new peole) is nothing bad. Also about the stuff being opional, the man has spoken truth. But I wonder how many servers will actually disable it.

If I can figure out how to work linux right, My server will probably switch between relaxed and realistic probably every other day/week.

Upvote 0
There should be no reason for hate posts your intitled to your views be they right or wrong, you've put forward a stuctured questioning post

I like you am not overjoyed about the unlockes to weapons etc it kind of takes away the level playing field and gives a bigger edge to the better players, who usually dont need it in the first place and i said so in many post.

But if these things are as stated options then they can just be turned off - it really doesn't matter if they are there or not, just play on servers that have them turned off. These may appeal more to the real competive players TWI is hoping will take up HOS. TBH TWI have always been sensible about how things are done so i'm inclined to believe that we will be able to turn most of the stuff on/off in server settings. Many clans will want there servers set with these off i'm guessing but till we get chance to try it's all conjecture anyway

On the plus side many of these upgrades can be used by the modding community to turn into other things - so will probaly be helpful to darkest hour modders i hope

Upvote 0

I like how you feel this is a recurring quality of realism unit members after a single such member makes a single mention in a single post about how the virtual-reenactment community has been around for a while.

Was he expecting some sort of nepotism on the Developers' part? No. He was emphasizing the importance of veteran players providing input.

But by all means, let's keep right at his throat for such obviously malicious sentiments.

Upvote 0
THE THING ABOUT ALL THIS IS... is that I think the core fan base, as in the people have stuck by for just about evar to support this game, aren't really into that type of madness.

I do....to a degree.

As someone whose been here since Beta 1.0 of the mod and as someone whose played the RO2 beta, I can say, gameplay-wise, it has met all of my expectations so far and plays like I think a true successor in the RO series should. Considering TWI has promised lots of customization, you should be able to turn off all of the stuff you don't like. Also consider, we're not talking about leveling up to get nuke bazookas, scoped mp40s, and flamethrower grenades. It's designed to be reasonable. I'm not a dev, but from what TWI has told us and from my own experience of how the core game handles, there is no reason to be worried.

Upvote 0

All down the players, and the demand. I get the impression that TWI is using some of the unique features/weapons to get peoples attention - obviously they won't get to use them straight away, and when they do get access to them they'll be severely restricted.

They've clearly put significant effort into making the game extremly customisable - I've been planning (and hopefully some of the other EP's will join me) in running a vanilla HOES server - but we won't really know where the balance lies until after the game has come out.

You've done nothing but state your opinion here, like gyps said - you shouldn't get any beef from the community for doing so.

Upvote 0
I like how you feel this is a recurring quality of realism unit members after a single such member makes a single mention in a single post about how the virtual-reenactment community has been around for a while.

Was he expecting some sort of nepotism on the Developers' part? No. He was emphasizing the importance of veteran players providing input.

But by all means, let's keep right at his throat for such obviously malicious sentiments.

I'm not talking about your group, heck I haven't even heard of you before yesterday.
I'm a very frequent forumer on a game called Men of War: assault squad. And such "realism group" is on there too. THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY. MOWAS is made by a very small team (right now only one guy, the lead dev is working on it) and they moan and complain about anything that isn't realistic on a >>GAME<<
MOWAS is not a simulator. Sigh...

Don't take offense like I'm pointing at you, because I'm not simply pointing at you but anyone that claims anything but complete realism hard core players are ADD COD playing frat boys that are like "Herr dude we get unlockable weapons now!"
I love this game, will probably play it for years, as a matter of fact its on the of last games I'm planning to buy. But I'm being accused of being some dimwitted consumer because I actually find all these features enticing?

Please... Just enough is enough.

And the reason I jumped his throat is he compared the TWI devs to the likes of drug dealers and Bootleggers in their marketing.

Now that I think of it, what game out there right now lets you put a bayonet on your assualt rifle?

Project reality off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.