• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My gratitude towards KF2, Suggestions for KF3, and an important question

GolgothaSteam

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 8, 2024
¡Hello! This is my first time publishing something in here, so I may be a little bland or uncertain in some aspects.

First of all, show my gratitude towards Killing Floor 2 and the work behind it. I discovered the Killing Floor franchise not even a year ago, and instantly became in love with it. The Patriarch became one of my favorite characters from all time. The charisma, the music theme... and I can say the same for overall the whole game. A unique atmosphere that is built by Tripwire's work, and even when you analyze the zeds, you can see and understand how they have a personality too (Fleshpound's dances, Scrake's pointing at the player, Stalker's voice lines, etc.) what I am trying to say is that the game is well done in a general aspect, but also in the smaller details, everything screams "Quality, work, and team".

About Killing Floor's 3 suggestions, we did not see a lot of it as I am writing this, but here they are, and maybe, ¡I will predict a feature here!
- A map based on Spain. Since it would be a beautiful detail to see my country in a franchise I love so much.
- Campaign mode. Since I sense Killing Floor needs a more focused-on-lore mode.
- The return of the Patriarch. Since he will probably come back (and with new tricks), but again, I want to make Tripwire know that we like him as the big bad.
- Concept art about the creatures. Since I love seeing concept art from a game, it would be nice if they do the same as they did with KF2's Deluxe Edition virtual concept art book.
- Merchandise. Since I like collecting figures, I would love to have a Fleshpound action figure or statue on my shelves.
- Spanish dub for KF3. Since I play the game in my natal language, I loved hearing the dub actors taking the role of the main protagonist and some of the villains in KF2.
- Zed variants. Since it would be a good to renovate some of the old zeds and add variants. Maybe an Icy Husk? A Scrake with a meat hook, based on KF2's concept art?
- Visible weak points on zeds. Something similar to DOOM Eternal, add relevancy to the weak points on the zeds more than there is already. Add more of an impact on the Fleshpound's reaction after being hit on their heart/reactor/glowing mechanical piece placed on the chest, and maybe watch some of the pieces blow away by the bullet's impact, apart from the flesh itself.
- ¡More difficulty! KF2 is already a challenge on high difficulties, specially on THAT weekly challenge...you know which one... ¡But it is fun to have even more of an unfair and unbalanced fight! And I must say, I came out victorious of that weekly challenge around 4 times... ¡Be proud of me, Tripwire!

As for now, those are my only suggestions, I hope Tripwire's team can work with something from there.
About the question, it is short and to the point. ¿Can I canonically be in a relationship with a dommy mommy Stalker? I NEED the approbation from Tripwire.

Thank you very much. Keep up the good work.❤️

I'd say KF2 also did a few stinkers, which were abundantly discussed on these very forums. The most obvious culprits being : content creep, power creep and a pretty unsatisfying business model (or should I say MODELS). One could also lambast the last few years of updates as being pretty boring or unneeded, but hey... not a whole lot of games manage to bring new content for so long either! We can at least appreciate that. And many of the things you just talked about.

Regarding your suggestions now :

-I don't know about a map specifically happening in Spain, but I was really sad that they abandoned the idea of an "Europe Tour" so quickly... I really wanted to see the infection spread towards every country in the Old Continent, where we'd see famous landmarks destroyed by zeds. It would have added some extra layers of identity to the game, and truly brought very different vibes to each map. I could totally see a city like Granada or Barcelona, with their super artsy streets, totally lost to both time and monsters!

-Still find the idea of a proper campaign quite unnecessary to be honest... I never thought that Killing Floor's lore was either interesting or needed to be frank. Plus, it would probably either feel very clunky (if the current formula is to be kept), or just turn the game into some sort of L4D wannabe that it just isn't. The whole gameplay loop is just too much "arcade" for it to work as a story-focused game in my opinion. Or we'd need to have pretty much two different games into one...

-I'm personally AGAINST the return of the Patriarch. I believe he did his time. I was more than happy seeing him back in KF2 (although without his iconic theme...), but I also think that we had both the pleasure of discovery and the joy of seeing an old threat coming back. We need something new now, rather than yet again the unkillable mad scientist we grew on to associate with the franchise. I thought Volter would have made a decent "iconic big bad" for KF2, and I'm expecting somebody else for KF3... Maybe a Matriarch without the annoying EDARs?

-Something I dislike about concept art is PRECISELY the fact that you'll often see what they produced for the game as it launched... Not the additional content they brought later on. I'm a huge nerd, who LOVES to see the background of the games I enjoy. So having extra concept art, footnotes, trivia and such sounds like unnecessary content that I would love to see. And my favorite way to inject some lore into the game without making it intrusive.

-Regarding merch... I don't have any strong opinion to be honest. I'm not that big into video game memorabilia unless it's something very unique and fresh. Or clever/funny. But I also don't think ME being uninterested should mean NOT producing such content for die-hard fans. So yeah, more merch sounds cool !

-I don't speak Spanish myself... And I'm a strong advocate for OG dubbing rather than redubs. I never played the game in French, even if it's my mother tongue. But again: just because I don't care for it DOESN'T mean it shouldn't be considered.

-I suppose Zed variants already sort of exist in KF2? I mean, EDARs replace Husks and Stalkers... Gorefiends are just beefy Gorefasts, Quarterpounders are diet Fleshpounds. You get the idea. I'd be more interested in brand new zeds, but I also can't think of a new archetype that could bring newer challenges to the player... Maybe existing zeds could get new capabilities, like they did in KF2? Or well, I guess variants are an alternative. In any case, I hope we'll have new stuff to shoot at.

-More difficulty sounds like a pretty recurring request. But I also think Tripwire themselves didn't expect the game to last as long as it did. And for players to get as well-versed and skillful as they are today. I'm sure that, even without a new difficulty setting, we'll see some new challenges to overcome in KF3. And new threats to keep even veterans on their toes! But I agree that both casual and die-hard players alike need new ways to be tested.

-Last but not least... Highlighting zed weak points sounds a little counterintuitive to me. I believe the base rule of "aim for the head" is pretty self-explanatory for most gamers. And one of the main reasons people dislike EDARs is PRECISELY because you CANNOT kill them with a headshot. I believe it should be a general rule of thumb that aiming for the head, no matter the zed, is the rightful thing to do. Because it rewards skill (heads are much smaller than torsos usually !) in exchange for greater rewards (the monster dies faster, saving time and bullets... and potentially your life). Extra weakpoints, like the Husk' tank, are allowed, but should be more niche. They should be either harder or more dangerous to hit, in exchange for a little extra (the explosion for the Husk, the EMP for the EDARs etc.), meaning that they're not also the most optimal way to dispatch a zed, but rather a stylish way to gain a little bonus for your trouble.

Upvote 0
I'd say KF2 also did a few stinkers, which were abundantly discussed on these very forums. The most obvious culprits being : content creep, power creep and a pretty unsatisfying business model (or should I say MODELS). One could also lambast the last few years of updates as being pretty boring or unneeded, but hey... not a whole lot of games manage to bring new content for so long either! We can at least appreciate that. And many of the things you just talked about.

Regarding your suggestions now :

-I don't know about a map specifically happening in Spain, but I was really sad that they abandoned the idea of an "Europe Tour" so quickly... I really wanted to see the infection spread towards every country in the Old Continent, where we'd see famous landmarks destroyed by zeds. It would have added some extra layers of identity to the game, and truly brought very different vibes to each map. I could totally see a city like Granada or Barcelona, with their super artsy streets, totally lost to both time and monsters!

-Still find the idea of a proper campaign quite unnecessary to be honest... I never thought that Killing Floor's lore was either interesting or needed to be frank. Plus, it would probably either feel very clunky (if the current formula is to be kept), or just turn the game into some sort of L4D wannabe that it just isn't. The whole gameplay loop is just too much "arcade" for it to work as a story-focused game in my opinion. Or we'd need to have pretty much two different games into one...

-I'm personally AGAINST the return of the Patriarch. I believe he did his time. I was more than happy seeing him back in KF2 (although without his iconic theme...), but I also think that we had both the pleasure of discovery and the joy of seeing an old threat coming back. We need something new now, rather than yet again the unkillable mad scientist we grew on to associate with the franchise. I thought Volter would have made a decent "iconic big bad" for KF2, and I'm expecting somebody else for KF3... Maybe a Matriarch without the annoying EDARs?

-Something I dislike about concept art is PRECISELY the fact that you'll often see what they produced for the game as it launched... Not the additional content they brought later on. I'm a huge nerd, who LOVES to see the background of the games I enjoy. So having extra concept art, footnotes, trivia and such sounds like unnecessary content that I would love to see. And my favorite way to inject some lore into the game without making it intrusive.

-Regarding merch... I don't have any strong opinion to be honest. I'm not that big into video game memorabilia unless it's something very unique and fresh. Or clever/funny. But I also don't think ME being uninterested should mean NOT producing such content for die-hard fans. So yeah, more merch sounds cool !

-I don't speak Spanish myself... And I'm a strong advocate for OG dubbing rather than redubs. I never played the game in French, even if it's my mother tongue. But again: just because I don't care for it DOESN'T mean it shouldn't be considered.

-I suppose Zed variants already sort of exist in KF2? I mean, EDARs replace Husks and Stalkers... Gorefiends are just beefy Gorefasts, Quarterpounders are diet Fleshpounds. You get the idea. I'd be more interested in brand new zeds, but I also can't think of a new archetype that could bring newer challenges to the player... Maybe existing zeds could get new capabilities, like they did in KF2? Or well, I guess variants are an alternative. In any case, I hope we'll have new stuff to shoot at.

-More difficulty sounds like a pretty recurring request. But I also think Tripwire themselves didn't expect the game to last as long as it did. And for players to get as well-versed and skillful as they are today. I'm sure that, even without a new difficulty setting, we'll see some new challenges to overcome in KF3. And new threats to keep even veterans on their toes! But I agree that both casual and die-hard players alike need new ways to be tested.

-Last but not least... Highlighting zed weak points sounds a little counterintuitive to me. I believe the base rule of "aim for the head" is pretty self-explanatory for most gamers. And one of the main reasons people dislike EDARs is PRECISELY because you CANNOT kill them with a headshot. I believe it should be a general rule of thumb that aiming for the head, no matter the zed, is the rightful thing to do. Because it rewards skill (heads are much smaller than torsos usually !) in exchange for greater rewards (the monster dies faster, saving time and bullets... and potentially your life). Extra weakpoints, like the Husk' tank, are allowed, but should be more niche. They should be either harder or more dangerous to hit, in exchange for a little extra (the explosion for the Husk, the EMP for the EDARs etc.), meaning that they're not also the most optimal way to dispatch a zed, but rather a stylish way to gain a little bonus for your trouble.
Great takes! I love to see different perspectives to my own ideas. To be fair, I was talking through a DOOM "filter" as someway to put it. If you played Eternal, you'll know how much of an advantage can be aiming for the Mancubus's cannons as an example... so something similar could be done with the Fleshpounds maybe, you see? Not to exactly copy the gameplay of DOOM Eternal but to catch things out of it. The idea of a new big bad also sounds interesting, with Patty to be on KF3 or not, I would either be cool with it, but I see the Patriarch as you know, the Springtrap of Killing Floor, or the William Birkin maybe, you catch the example. But still, I like your points!

Upvote 0