• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Dream Tank UI/implementation

Jack said:
I can do without cuppola mounted MGs, although it would be cool if they were in. But definitely, we need co-axials, if ROOST is to be truly realistic, and the tanks truly deadly!

I asked Wilson directly about this stuff like a month ago, and he kinda skirted around the issue :D

Talking about co-axis MG's, I hope the tracers will be useful for aiming.

I've found the tracers in the regular MGs kind of pointless for aiming, since you're so close to the barrel, that you can't see where the tracers are landing. With a co-ax MG, you'll be at least half a meter away, coupled with a telescopic sight, the tracers will be required for pinpoint accuracy (due to parallax error).

What do you guys think with the new screen shots out today?

It looks like a few of the points I'm hoping for have been confirmed:

• Co-axial MG
  • Gears?
  • Need to reload ammunition in MG

Upvote 0
Actually, the primary reason that the Germans started mounting an external MG at the commanders station was for help in defending against enemy infantry, not aircraft. Lessons learned from the fighting in Russia, where infantry was more of a danger to a tank than another tank or an ATG. Those lessons are also what lead to the development of the Zimmerit anti-magnetic-mine coating used on German tanks.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am postitive we have co-axials now: why would the T-60 get one and not the other tanks?

Also, the fact that mention was made of the ammo loadout for the T-60 implies limited ammo stores, or at the least, having to reload belt/drum/pan fed weapons, so the DTs and MG 34s will now be more realistic :)

Don't know about gears, although I am really crossing my fingers gears have been implemented. Just the thought of being able to switch into gear, hitting the gas, listening to the engine roar and the exhaust cough as your Tiger begins rolling at the beginning of the attack make me all the more excited at the prospects of thsi game.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
PS: Like the new sig?

LOL. Very nice. :)

According to 'many sources', the Ferdinand Jagdpanzers used at Kursk had no frontal MG's mounted, so the Russian infantry can take them down easily (of course, they'll have to get close enough first)

On the topic: Can we have a Prokhorovka map??? 1000 German tanks charging into 2000 Russian tanks to engage in close range would rock :D .

Upvote 0
Carazor said:
LOL. Very nice. :)

According to 'many sources', the Ferdinand Jagdpanzers used at Kursk had no frontal MG's mounted, so the Russian infantry can take them down easily (of course, they'll have to get close enough first)

On the topic: Can we have a Prokhorovka map??? 1000 German tanks charging into 2000 Russian tanks to engage in close range would rock :D .

1: whill the Ferdinand did not have a hull mounted MG it did have one lose (ie reguler infantry mount.) and most Ferdinand's seem to have been lost due to brake downs and crew abandonement and not to soviet infantry.

2: Not true the tank battle at Prokhorovka was only had about 500-1,000 tanks totle! with about ~100-250* german and ~500-750* soviet tanks. at the end of the day some 50 german and 350 soviet tanks where knocked out.

* depends on the sorce and the scail at wich you looking at. (Are you looking at the area around Prokhorovka or for the whole of the 2nd SS panzer corps?)

the brake down of AFVs that the LSSAH had on the night of july 11th - 4 PzII, 5 PzIII, 47 PzIV, 4 Tigers, 10 StuG, 20 PzJg (Total 90 AFVs)

Upvote 0
Mortisrose said:
I'd like to see support for Track IR to take the place of mouse look.

Doesn't TrackIR emulate the mouse? Or at least the old TrackIR that I have does. If the new one can emulate the mouse, than you could use it for looking around when driving, and turn it off when not.

Wilsonam said:
ALAN: Long list, much of it way down in the detail. The models have all been reworked from suitable plans, with loads of new artwork and the interiors far more detailed. The damage model is more detailed than before, taking all sorts of criteria into account, based on figures from many sources, including Soviet intelligence archives. You

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Doesn't TrackIR emulate the mouse? Or at least the old TrackIR that I have does. If the new one can emulate the mouse, than you could use it for looking around when driving, and turn it off when not.
Mouse emulation only works to an extent because the game still thinks you are using a mouse and not the actual device. This causes problems with remembering where the center of view should be, such as when you go beyond the edge of the screen and back or move your head too fast; thus, you have to keep pressing the recenter view key to keep your view range balanced.

Upvote 0
Though TrackIR would be nice when driving, I don't put much of a priority on it.

The reason TrackIR is handy in Flight Sims, is so you can look around while maintaining control of your aircraft - via the stick.

While driving the tank, controls for it are on the keyboard in 3.3. The mouse isn't used for any type of controlling.

Now if ROOST implements "analog" style controls, with throttle and degrees in steering that would be mouse controlled, that would be different.

If they implement joystick control, then I'll be using TrackIR to mouse look.

From the new screenies, it looks like the Magnification will be correct, at least on the T34 M41 tank sights.

Confirmed that the tank commander can look closer toward the viewport. So it looks like limited movement in the cupola is in. Hope the same applies to out of the cupola and lateral movement.

Anyone else spotted anything in the video to confirm in the list?

Upvote 0
JCoquillon said:
Just hope you are aware that everything suggested here that is in game, was implemented long before you posted them, and planned even further back than that :)

True. But isn't this what a suggestion forum is for*?

I'd like to think that the community has some input on things. Besides I read the March "delay" allowed some of the suggestions to be implemented. I figure some of those suggestions may have come from players.

*Anything not implemented will then be out there for you guys to consider for later.

Edit: Plus the point of this thread is to see what's been implemented compared to what I personally would love to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good news on the driver periscope front! Just came across this over at the Steam boards.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
Manstein said:
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]here's how it works:

Driver:
default view is buttoned
MW down: move view up to the viewport (only in vehicles without periscopes)
MW up: unbutton

Gunner/Commander:
default view is through the scope
MW up: cupola view (still buttoned, and only applies to tanks with cupola)
MW upx2: unbuttoned, head out
MW upx3: unbuttoned, looking through binoculars

Hull MG:
default view is buttoned, aiming the weapon
no other views are available
[/FONT]

Upvote 0