• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mouse smoothing for Flamethrower?

Eiven

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Houston, Texas
So as we all know there are a lot of gripes about the flamethrower and it's bugs and where it fits into the game's overall balance but I just wanted to throw this out there since for me personally its been a small annoyance of mine that Flamethrowers can be every bit as mobile as everyone else and can just turn on a dime when he wants to. What if possibly instead of the Flamethrower acting just like any normal handheld weapon, like it does currently, you added an increased difficulty that it takes to turn with it? For anyone who has played through Metro2033 you probably can remember how the difficulty level shot up once you reached the "Child" level. For those of you who aren't familiar please take a moment and watch this.Metro 2033 - Ranger Hardcore Walkthrough Part 8 - Depot + Defense + Child - YouTube
So if you'll notice the difference in the way the mouse controls behaved the moment you started carrying the child on your back it went from very precise and easy to control to very jerky and harder to control. So shouldn't that be what carrying two full metal tanks on your back be like? At least like carrying a small child around? I think this would be much more realistic and challenging but still be able to be mastered by a highly skilled player. So what say you?

This is similar to something I mentioned to Ramm once in game. However, what I suggested was that the flamethrower turning speed should be limited only while firing. This would get rid of spinning merry-go-round flamethrowers killing everyone within a 360 degree radius. I think it would help to make the flamethrower less spammy.

Upvote 0
Not a bad idea I'd like it if maybe the difficulty to aim was increased even more while firing. Kind of like a fire hose effect. As for what the root issue I see it is the flamethrowers becoming loss of a 360 flame fountain but more of a ultra fast reflexed warrior from the matrix. This was especially frustrating one time when I was trying to get the firefighter achievement because every time I managed to sneak up within 5 meters on a flamethrower my guy would start screaming banzai and get killed before he closed the distance. I finally got it when I just about gave up on trying to get it until it was changed so I snuck up on one and shot him in the back and while he was bleeding out and his mouse was being smoothed I actually had enough time to go in an exact my vengeance with my bayonet.

The other main issue I have is the ones who run into buildings and go for the middle of the room. In order to run past anyone who was trying to guard the doorway and they can just stop their flat out sprint, do a 180, give the door guards a puff, and then just go on about his business. In real life attempting something as crazy as that would probably have caused you to lose your balance and fall to the floor leaving you helpless for a few seconds because you didn't try to maintain your balance. So I think some overall mouse smoothing for flamers would do a lot to help increase the realism and simulate the difficulty it took to wield a flamethrower back then.

Upvote 0
-Have to hold front and rear triggers (right?)
I'm not sure. I thought you just had to pull the front trigger once to light the filament. I haven't researched it in depth or anything though.

Also @ Starfish Trooper (cool name) I'm not sure if that would happen in this case since it is a stream of burning liquid instead of an open flame, again, not sure though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think it should be made difficult to aim. However i think it would be nice if the 360 degree spinning should be stopped.

Aiming in a similar fashion as the tanks go (so you can aim directly but if you go faster than the turning speed the thing will follow your aim afterwards). Basically using a seperate free aim system for the flamethrower, where it can lag after the user.

On another note while probably not realistic, i would like it if you could not fire MG's and Flamethrowers from the hip untill you press the ironsight button. Then that button doesn't actually go to ironsight but braces you for firing. A small transition to make you brace your weapon combined with only being able to move at walking speed when braced (default movement without shift is jogging), should be able to remove the spammyness of the weapon.

It wouldn't impair tactical movement of both the MG's and Flamethrower, but as heavy weapons, it would give a vulnerability.

Upvote 0
I don't think it should be made difficult to aim. However i think it would be nice if the 360 degree spinning should be stopped.

Aiming in a similar fashion as the tanks go (so you can aim directly but if you go faster than the turning speed the thing will follow your aim afterwards). Basically using a seperate free aim system for the flamethrower, where it can lag after the user.

On another note while probably not realistic, i would like it if you could not fire MG's and Flamethrowers from the hip untill you press the ironsight button. Then that button doesn't actually go to ironsight but braces you for firing. A small transition to make you brace your weapon combined with only being able to move at walking speed when braced (default movement without shift is jogging), should be able to remove the spammyness of the weapon.

It wouldn't impair tactical movement of both the MG's and Flamethrower, but as heavy weapons, it would give a vulnerability.

This. Throught with a modification.

I would use the old classic jog speed instead of walk. To denote its not quite as awkward as iron-sighting and moving. So an intermediate level.

It would need graphical support to clear show a shift in weapon position from jogging-unready, to enhanced walk-ready.

I also agree with the initial sentiment - the FT needs some for of inertia. And the mg too for that matter.

Something as simple as blocking horizontal movement while the fire button is down would work I think.

A player could correct for vertical movement, but would need to release the fire button to correct lateral movement.

And while we are at it. A rag or some such should be in player's hand (1st person animation) when changing barrels on the mg.

Upvote 0