• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More realistic communication

Well, when I made the thread, I of course had in mind that the teamspeak and publispeak would be disabled, otherwise you could simply bypass the system...

But, I suppose if honour is taken into the equation, publicspeak (not teamspeak - for exmaple clans in clan matches could cheat) could be retained, so you could chat to your mates about non-related game stuff, while not mentioning in-game stuff.

There's still the aspect of people bypassing the game entirely with other team speak programs.

Upvote 0
Well if i use Voice Comm, its never the comms build into a game, since i don't understand a thing what people say. Mostly its like "grable gruble bruble together mrmnegn", with a good TS Server i at least can understand people, so its not my Hardware thats causing this. Its just that most people seem to have a socket in their mouth while talking.

Upvote 0
You could encourage teamplay and coordination further by turning voice comms into the soldiers actual voice which has a limited range...I believe this may have been mentioned already but to get by the language dillemma maybe you could simply make it only heard by nearby team mates or say forget it and make it audible to the enemy but only at a close range. I don't know if anyone here has played Counter-Strike (yes CS) and noticed how mouths on player models somehow actually moved to voice comms and made it look like the player was actually speaking. That would add to the immersion though it is a minor and unecessary detail.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
since i don't understand a thing what people say. Mostly its like "grable gruble bruble together mrmnegn"

there are threads about this on the mod forum, sometimes something dusnt quiet work between ingame voice and your souncard drivers (particularly with creative cards)
try ticking on or off the "use system drivers" in the sound menu for example.
and there was a link on that forum for a better file to use with creative cards

for me most of the time the voice come is pretty good, i can understand what everybody's saying atleast. its its all set up properly its get close to the quality of TS but without the lag.

You could encourage teamplay and coordination further by turning voice comms into the soldiers actual voice which has a limited range...
try reading at the verry least the start post befor you post in a thread. that suggestion was the point of this thread in the first place.
and if you aks me it will do anything but increase teamplay and coordination. i allready explained why i think that.

Upvote 0
I use the in-game voice-comms ALOT. My game is not an individual one. Personally, I dont see any problem with the way the channels are setup now. You have the "Local" channel if you want to get all "realistic" and only talk to those near you, and you have the "Team" channel if you're like me and enjoy getting the whole team on the same page. I think if you hinder the communication for the sake of realism, like most of the things I read here in the suggestions page, you risk taking alot of the fun out of the game. Theres a delicate balance between gameplay and utter realism, which is something I think the devs have done a great job on, with what they had to work with in the Mod version. Do we want realism? Of course, but without controlling every minute (mine-oot) aspect, to the point of reducing your gaming experience.

Upvote 0
For optimum realism and to increase the immersion effect that makes RO:O so fun, ideally the server could somehow disable or place restrictions on teamspeak, ventrilo, etc. so that the only voice communication were "local", maybe with a shout key for extending the range a bit. The "team channel" would only work when you were right next to a radio, and text chat would be disabled except for the pre-keybind commands or when waiting to respawn. I think that wouldn't take that much away from the "fun factor" and actually help retain and attract the player base that RO:O is meant to appeal to. It could be a server-side option.

I think that would be cool as hell. Just my .02

Upvote 0
I find it disruptive to listen to all the chatter about this and that while playing. Thats why i play...to avoid daily stuff, footballgames and whatnot.Itslike a phone conference..i dont want that.
ww2 games should have plenty of noise on the line so that you maintain the imersive feeling& realism of the era, and of the game, and focus on what you are saying, saying it clearly and keeping it short.

Upvote 0
I agree that the comm could be changed.

1. Make it so that those within a certain range can hear you. It is unrealistic and gives an unfair tactical advantage for people to able to communicate as if they had cell phones on the battlefield.

2. Whisper key is a good idea

3. Make it so that if you are in the range of enemy communication and they are talking, have the game engine play default russian/german conversation (ie. "where are they?" "let's plan an attack" ). You can hear their footsteps, you should be able to hear their voices.

This is one of my favorite games and it will only get better with more immersion.

RO is more than on the right track and it will be great to see how this genre develops in the future.

Upvote 0