• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Micro-stuttering/frame skipping fix?

SlackerITGuy

Dec 31, 2012
I remember that with KF1 performance wasn't completely 100% smooth out of the box, you had to manually add a couple of commands to the engine's .ini file (I remember the AvoidHitches one) to get the game to play without micro stuttering.

But that was in KF1, since KF2 is a UE3 title, what would be the "go-to" commands to try and eliminate frame skipping and stuttering?

Setting bSmoothFrameRate to False actually helped a bit (removed the 62 FPS cap the game has).

Thanks.

Surprised this thread got no replies. It's very annoying.

Tripwire likes challenging games but at the same time they're kind of clueless. How else would you explain MouseSmoothing and acceleration hidden in config file, suggested 60 frame cap but no limit for menus in uncapped mode making hardware overheat for no reason. 99% GPU usage in menu idle with 80C temperature. How does stuff like this even go unnoticed ? :confused:

TWI needs to upgrade their office 60hz LCD monitors and keep up with technology for adequate testing because this isn't 4k, this is something thats been easily affordable for years.

I mean, when you make a challenging game it should be adjusted for competitive gamers, not for some "cinematic experience" with motion blur and input lag @60fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been pretty much constantly tweaking the game for the last few days. I've learned a lot of interesting things, but here's the short of it:

Even with everything turned down all the way in-game, even removing dynamic shadows in the INIs, the game will still have random hitching 10s of times per wave for me on a GTX 960 4GB (1280x1024 res).

My FPS display shows >90 (generally ~120) when these hitches happen, and the animation is smooth aside from the momentary delays. I'm probably going to keep digging in the INIs to see if I can find a fix.

Upvote 0
the mouse seems a lot more responsive to me the higher the frame rate, i mean over 60fps, in the 100 zone. with no accel or smothing or anything. besides that i try to ignore stuttering as much as possible, i dont remember seeing much smooth games after the quake 3 era.

im trying this:

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=100.000000
MinSmoothedFrameRate=60.000000

seems ok so far, but too soon to tell, is there an ingame benchmark?, maybe a tigher min/max could give better results.

Upvote 0
tripwire just doesn't know how to make games. Tribes Ascend on UE3 had no frame skipping and framerate was capped at 90 by default and unlocking through ini had no side effects

Also, when multiple people look at a zed it starts lagging horribly and teleporting making any timing with berserker futile, it even does so when people spectate, shouldn't my perspective be prioritized in that case ?

technical side surely needs improvements. theres hardly any reliability or skill involved when scrake doesn't react to your attack that should've stunned him but was not dected

Last edited:
Upvote 0