• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MGs a bit underperforming?

No it is not. Wrap some duct tape around an mg trigger and let it fire without any support, and it will not kick up towards the sky when firing ebcause the weapon weight alone is enough to prevent that tiny bit of energy caused by the gunpowder to have teh gun kick.

This is one thing I do laugh at. It's odd that the sights on the MMG kick up when supported. Like the bi-pod you're leaning all of your weight on suddenly just flips into the air.

It's almost like the MMGs are lighter than the bolt action rifles.

-Paas

Upvote 0
I think the issue here is just incorrect tactics. I'm not an MG'er, I'm a rifleman through and through. However, I do know how MG's worked in the real world, and in a variety of realistic FPS's. The MG is hard to play correctly, because it is a bulky, heavy weapon that is only effective when deployed. However, if you hang around in one spot for a little bit of time you will get taken out. Unless you are supporting a massive charge of tanks and infantry, you NEED TO RELOCATE FREQUENTLY. The actual battle for Stalingrad was a nasty, nasty fight, with firefights involving vertical and horizontal aspects. MG's can be effective, but they need to move and pick their spots carefully.

Upvote 0
people need to learn to use the suppression abilities of the MG, you can suppress someone fully behind cover with only 3 rounds. I

and then what?

it's not like suppression actually does anything, nor will your teammates actually follow through and attempt to flank the suppressed target.

I've killed so many people while im fully suppressed that this suppression feels more like a gimmick than anything else.

And yes i agree, MG's suck now because everything is so accurate. Instead of being afraid when i see an mg position, i am overjoyed as i know it's another easy kill

Upvote 0
I've noticed that people seem to forget the rifle in RO1 had zero sway for the first 2-3 seconds when you bring up the sights.

Also, the MG is fine (the DP kicks a bit much for me) and can be amazingly effective with the proper use (ie. don't stay in one obvious spot for long) and support from teammates, by covering you and spotting targets which show up in tactical view now.

Upvote 0
Everyone is talking about machineguns in a vacuum.

That is not how machineguns work. Playing a machinegunner properly means you should be behind, covering (and being covered by) teammates. Your job isn't to sit there and, alone, hold down an entire flank. Your job is to provide huge amounts of fire for your teammates should it be needed.

My experiences have been that if you try to roll solo with a machinegunner, you will die. If you go behind teammates, you will succeed. This is hard if you have teammates who don't stay together...but that indicates a problem with teammates, not with the class.

Upvote 0
The problem is the no-sway riflemen. They can easily hit anything standing upright. I think they did that to appease the "relaxed" kiddies that otherwise would complain about "campers" having advantages.
But realistic ww2 combat is aaaaaall about camping in the right spot. And RO is supposed to cater to us realism fanbois. Catering to mainstream accessability claimed a new victim, MGs are now fish to be shot in a barrel.

And using my MG to suppress is a waste of tiem and bullets. If you look at it, if you catch an enemy soldier unaware behind a window. You could start firing bursts at him which would probably have him suppressed for a 10-20 seconds at best (most enemies will simply run away and take another route)

OR

you could save the ammo and wait for another target. Because once you start suppressing that one guy, some other rifleman will spot you and kill you with one shot.

MGs are defenseless kittens now. They get all the realistic disadvantages while the riflemen do not get these disadvantages.

My experiences have been that if you try to roll solo with a machinegunner, you will die. If you go behind teammates, you will succeed. This is hard if you have teammates who don't stay together...but that indicates a problem with teammates, not with the class.
Wrong. even a rifleman behind other riflemen is more useful than an mg

Reactions: Tairos
Upvote 0
People are so quick to blame lack of sway, but lack of sway is only noticeably different when standing.

How the hell often do you get shot by a standing riflemen with no cover to stabilize the gun? It's pretty rare. Do you think that machinegunners in RO1 were invincible killing machines because riflemen weren't able to aim?

they weren't. They got shot by pop-up riflemen just as often if not more. It's marginally easier to aim in RO2, but you're kidding yourself if you think that made MGers any safer.

Upvote 0
If real life were RO1, the infamous Omaha Beach would be an obscure footnote because the machine gunners would have been picked out of their bunkers by prone riflemen in 7 seconds and would therefore have made poor movie material. If it were RO2, on the other hand, it would be famous the other way because of the awesomeness of the proto-Rambo action. And yes, machine gunners should be just about invincible when confronted with head on rifleman attacks, actually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why? Because they have some sort of forcefield that stops rifle bullets from hurting them?

If you get hit by a rifle bullet in most areas, you will not be fighting anymore. IT just so happens that RO2 engagement ranges are really, really short - almost always <100m. Hitting a stationary target at 100m with a rifle isn't all that hard.

Upvote 0
I think the biggest problem with MGs is that most of the spots where you can deploy your bi-pads are extremely vulnerable.

For example, when shooting out a window, a rifleman can stay far back from window so that he is less visible. Rifleman's gun doesn't have to stick out the window, and after a shot he can just easily move away.

But machine gunner? He has to stick his gun out the window, unable to move while his weapon is ready.

If there are small tables well behind the windows for MGs to set up their bi-pads, I think their survivability will dramatically increase.

Upvote 0
Again, you guys are using the MG improperly. In RO1, you were protected by bullet spread and rifle sway. In RO2, with it's upped realism, you aren't.

If you open up in a big, obvious spot neatly framed in a window, you're going to get dropped by the first rifleman you fail to suppress.

Shoot and scoot. Get some teammates to give you fire support. Don't try to go at MG'er alone. Coordinate your bursts of fire with friendly movements so the other team is more worried about the folks kicking in the front door than the MG'er putting bullets through their windows.

Most importantly, don't stay in one place for too long. It's suicide. If they get a good fix on you, it'll only take a spawn or two before they manage to out-shoot you.

Stop thinking about RO2 like RO1 with better graphics and start experimenting with the new engine. You'll find tactics that work.

Upvote 0