• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report: Fire Flies this Fall

Mercs,

It’s time to reveal what’s new in the Trader Pod this Fall. Two new weapons are coming your way from the Horzine Research Group.

hrglocustbr.png

Up first, we have the HRG Locust for Survivalists. Thanks to the minds at Horzine, mercs will have a new weapon to unleash creeping death on unrelenting hordes of zeds. Your new ammo, a missile containing a swarm of nanobots, acting much like mosquitos... but worse, when released. Fire it to send forth a hungry cloud that damages, bleeds, and creates a toxic panic over time to all that dares to be in its path. Need to take a group of baddies out quickly? Use the alt fire to auto lock on multiple targets before releasing each shot in rapid succession. The invasive nanobots will spread from affected zeds to other zeds like a plague of locusts. As they say...the best way to fight pests is with pestilence....

hrgdragonsblazebr.png

The new HRG Dragonsblaze will bring more BOOM and Sizzle to the battlefield combining the awesome stopping power of a giant shotgun with incendiary ammo for damage that is up to scale for even the largest threat. One of the challenges of this shotty will be managing its wide spread - but once done, mercs will have two fire patterns that will melt zeds like butter. For a shot that sends the gun’s pellets out in a vertical line, use the primary fire. For those times when face to face with a wall of zeds, use the alt fire for a horizontal pattern. Either way it's going to be loud and fun… Thanks Horzine!

Keep your eyes on this space, as we’ll be going over more new tools of the trade (weapons) and new mission (map) in future reports.

As a reminder: HRG weapons are free for all users, while other weapons we announce this year can be obtained via the Armory Season Pass 2 or direct individual purchase.

So uh... Survivalist is the new medic? It'll get a new thing with each new update, more ludicrous than ever before? Plus, it sounds like an elaborate way to create another "poison" weapon IMO. We'll see how it plays, but I get Hemogoblin vibes from it, with the small added benefit of your attacks apparently "jumping" between targets.

The "Dragonsblaze" do LOOK very fine, but am I understanding correctly that it is yet another firebug AND demo weapon? Even if it's just the former... c'mon guys, it has had enough weapons to choose from for YEARS. And we already had the Trenchgun as far as "weapon type, but WITH FIRE" goes. Then again, that didn't prevent you from adding the Incendiary Rifle AFTER the Helios...

You're reaching further and further out for new ideas my friends. I'm not expecting much more from the upcoming DLC weapons either.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
So uh... Survivalist is the new medic? It'll get a new thing with each new update, more ludicrous than ever before?
It wouldn't shock me to learn that Survivalist is probably the most frequently played perk these days. It certainly is getting love on par with the Berserker from previous years, and the more gimmick tools a perk gets, the more people play it.

I just wish everyone understood that Survivalist is missing the point of the game in the first place, but I've screamed into the void often enough about that.

We just keep getting more and more gimmicky spam-panic weapons. :(

I'm personally interested to see how the mosquito gun plays with the new Survivalist grenades
It's...probably not going to make a lick of difference? It's a spam gun that spreads like Firebug's Napalm. There's probably very little nuance or skill involved with a weapon like that, flash grenades or not.

though I still can't help but pine for a $600 HRG weapon for Berserkers.
What?

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Piranha Pistol is the only DLC weapon that doesn't have a free alternative, and I wouldn't count the VLAD as such due to the price difference being significant enough to affect early-game availability (You can only get a Wave 2 VLAD in Short games, Medium if you're willing to sell the Crovel)

An HRG weapon that I described would add parity between DLC and base game owners, though we both know that parity isn't profitable.

Upvote 0
Piranha Pistol is the only DLC weapon that doesn't have a free alternative, and I wouldn't count the VLAD as such due to the price difference being significant enough to affect early-game availability (You can only get a Wave 2 VLAD in Short games, Medium if you're willing to sell the Crovel)

An HRG weapon that I described would add parity between DLC and base game owners, though we both know that parity isn't profitable.
Well yeah, but so does other perks by that logic. The support also has an expensive T2 (the boomstick costs 750D instead of 600), and so does the demo. Although I must admit that both eventually got new toys (the Buckshot and the Tommyboom). I kinda feel it made the perks a bit "too easy" considering they had a rougher start that quickly developed into a very strong mid-to-late game. I wouldn't mind if it stayed the same for the zerk to be fair.

Although, pointing out that DLC weapons nearly all have a "free" alternative is interesting, but I think it's oversimplifying it too. Even if we don't take very quirky weapons, the FAMAS for example is not really a mere "paid copy" of the AK12. It trades off full-auto capabilities in order to gain a powerful underslung shotgun. And most weapons are like that really.

Upvote 0
The VLAD is superior and just econning for round 2 doesn't set you back 2+ waves.

The Piranha pistol isn't bad but like almost every other T2s you can absolutely skip it with little consequence if you already know what you're doing.

Having VLAD by wave 3 is what actually matters because that's when Scrakes start showing up.

EDIT: Oh, so it's not just deja vu, we HAVE had this discussion before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Although, pointing out that DLC weapons nearly all have a "free" alternative is interesting, but I think it's oversimplifying it too. Even if we don't take very quirky weapons, the FAMAS for example is not really a mere "paid copy" of the AK12. It trades off full-auto capabilities in order to gain a powerful underslung shotgun. And most weapons are like that really.
I'd actually argue that the FAMAS is actually a more expensive and more worse version of the VLAD-1000. The overlap that they have is that they're both shotgun/assault rifle hybrid weapons. However, the VLAD's shotgun mode has a much higher rate of fire, and can basically turn into a pretty inexpensive LMG with the Support's High Capacity Magazines skill.

The VLAD is superior and just econning for round 2 doesn't set you back 2+ waves.

The Piranha pistol isn't bad but like almost every other T2s you can absolutely skip it with little consequence if you already know what you're doing.
I dunno, with the amount of damage that the Berserker can take even with well-timed parries, I think it makes a lot more sense to have a ranged weapon sooner than later, though that's probably a conversation that will immediately get deleted due to me wanting the game to be less P2W.

Upvote 0
I dunno, with the amount of damage that the Berserker can take even with well-timed parries, I think it makes a lot more sense to have a ranged weapon sooner than later, though that's probably a conversation that will immediately get deleted due to me wanting the game to be less P2W.
Or...

...if you're having that much trouble playing Berserker in round 2 just switch to a different perk. Berserker is only required in boss waves anyway if your team is doing their job.

One slightly cheaper weapon that is only good in one specific wave does not a pay-2-win game make. Sorry-not-sorry.

Upvote 0
Another who dsnt like FB or understands that perk either :)
I believe OP was talking about the HRG Locust, and thus the Survivalist weapon.

This being said, while the "panic" mechanic can be useful in a pinch to save your bacon, it is still mostly annoying for the rest of your team that might waste shots as the zeds are running away. The main goal of the FB is mostly crowd control. And well... once they panic, they become uncontrollable.

Also @flashn00b , you misunderstood. I wasn't comparing the VLAD to the FAMAS. I was comparing the situation of the AK12/FAMAS to the one you mention about the Piranha and the Vlad. In the sense that both are at the same tier, but not merely copies of each other. It's not a matter of "one is free, one is DLC", they actually handle it differently.

Reactions: s5yn3t
Upvote 0
It's a good spooky patch, but the berserker is totally nerfed. All people are using survivalist with melee attack instead berserker, please fix it.
The update isn't even out yet...?

And I may be wrong, but I believe you're actually playing with the wrong kind of players. A high-level zerk is still eons better with melee weapons than a survivalist, if only for its extra survivability and parry boost.

Upvote 0