• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medic Shotgun?

So, I like this idea. And rather than sit round twiderling my thumbs in the hope that someone will come make me one. I thought I'd get it started, and see where we go from here.

So far I've begun on the model and have some code but still have a long way to go.

medishot.jpg

Looking at this now, I think the barrel is to long.

The reason I'm posting now, is becuase I am learning the skills as I go along. So I'm hoping that peeps will point me in the right direction or offer their services to help speed things along.

Thoughts? :D

Upvote 0
I thought I'd post an update and also try and narrow down some bits and pieces before I start coding.

medi1.jpg

This is the current textured version, if a texture artist would like to step in and do a proper job then please feel free to do so.

But something I want to try and clarify is it's charateristics.

Looking back over the thread;

3 shells, up to 6 shells at medic perk 6
About the same power as the pump, but less shot per shell
Follows MP7 medic discount structure

Talk to me peeps, lets get a starting point, then when it's ready I'll release a beta and invite some onto my server to help me test it. It can then be refined from that point.

Upvote 0
Theres always the simple answer,

Theres always the simple answer,

there's always a simple answer the medics weapon, defibrillator! Run in, one shock stuns the Zed (maybe half health? that way it never kills but gives you time to help a team mate), then you shock the team mate (only works when there below 30%? make it a last resort technique)

means the medic has to be near to the target (which means they have to be near their team mate to heal)
just a idea, but I like the idea of the medic getting another weapon, that way every class would have at least 2 weapons associated with their perk

Reactions: Lubaz and SMIFF
Upvote 0
I was thinking 5 + 1 in the chamber, it's a push as it is, as the supra shorty only holds 2 + 1. But streching the way things work in the interested balance and what not is more important.

So CandleJack, you'd like to see more rounds but at less power. That is certainly an option. So, lets say, 6 to 8 rounds? At about 50%-75% power?

@ C_Gibby Thanks! =)

Reactions: braindead
Upvote 0
So CandleJack, you'd like to see more rounds but at less power. That is certainly an option. So, lets say, 6 to 8 rounds? At about 50%-75% power?

Having the shells at 1/2 to 3/4 power, in my opinion, would serve to make it feel more like a "pdw shotgun" than the standard pump-shotty. That way you still have that "oh ****! get them off me!" reaction when you're forced to use it up close, since the damage reduction means you hopefully won't be using it offensively. :D

That model looks pretty sweet for something that's not "a proper job." Nice work!

Upvote 0
Having the shells at 1/2 to 3/4 power, in my opinion, would serve to make it feel more like a "pdw shotgun" than the standard pump-shotty. That way you still have that "oh ****! get them off me!" reaction when you're forced to use it up close, since the damage reduction means you hopefully won't be using it offensively. :D

That model looks pretty sweet for something that's not "a proper job." Nice work!

It'de be nice if support bonuses applied, making it a light alternative to the SHotty if you're going to versatility.

Upvote 0
I was thinking 5 + 1 in the chamber, it's a push as it is, as the supra shorty only holds 2 + 1. But streching the way things work in the interested balance and what not is more important.

@ C_Gibby Thanks! =)

The Benelli M3 (close enough to the Shotgun for my example) has a 500-660mm barrel, and let's say that it does 100 damage for the sake of examples.

The Serbu Super Shorty has a 165.1mm barrel. You can see the difference here. Also i'm fine with 2+1 and 5+1 at L6M.

What i'm talking is that since the Super Shorty has a shorter barrel, it has less kinetic energy and thus deals less damage, thus i'd be happy with 50% of the Shotgun's damage at close range, and a bigger spread due to the shorter barrel.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Just had a few ideas about the Medic and his possible weapons and tools:

So we have now, the MP7, with healing darts that heal single targets.
Then there is the ideas of this Medic Shotgun, which uses some form of healing spray.
Then there is the already modded M7A3 Medgun, which currently uses meddarts as well.
I was thinking of them more like this:

MP7 + Healing darts = Healing on single targets
Medshottie + Healing spray = Lineheal, shortrange "piercing" spray for close up multi-healing
M7A3 + Healing "ball" = Healing "grenade", for AoE healing, launched in an arc.

Obviously there would be strengths and weaknesses of each weapon:
MP7's dart would be the best for healing single targets, but mainly at longer ranges. So it's the "sniperheal". The weakness is that it only heals one target at a time (if it hits) and is the hardest to hit with. Each dart cost 50 energy to use.

Medshottie's spray would puff out a short, broad line of "healing gas" which would be really good to heal multiple people in a line who are close to you. The weakness is the range, both healing and combat-wise. Each spray also costs 50 (or 75?) energy, making it the potentially most efficient healing weapon.

M7A3's healing ball/grenade would probably be the most versatile healing device. Its ball quickly does a small cloud of healing gas on impact, which obviously can heal multiple targets at once, being a huge strength, so it can also heal multiple people at once, but from further away (longer than the spray, shorter than the dart). It is also easier to hit with the heal than the dart, but harder than the spray. Sometimes it might be harder to hit with though, due to the "arc"-behaviour of the ball, meaning this heal is more of a medium range aoe heal. It would be good in close range too, yes, but the Shotgun would still excel at this, due to this ball costing the whole 100 energy of the weapon.

So they all have strengths and weaknesses :)
Imo, the energy recharge should be shared between all the weapons too, so you choose which weapon you wanna use for different situations. The Syringe should still remain seperate.

Weights:
MP7 - 3
Shottie - 5
M7A3 - 7
That way you can only carry max 2 of the weapons at the same time as the Medic.

Baseprices:
MP7 - 3000

Upvote 0
Ammo:
MP7 - 20 in mag, 400 bullets total (= 40 in mag @ lvl 6)
Shottie - 3 in "mag", 42 shells total (= 6 in mag @ lvl 6)
M7A3 - 15 in mag, 300 bullets total (= 30 in mag @ lvl 6)

Sounds good?

My only gripe is that you put mag in apostrophes when it didn't need them :eek:
The shotgun, M shotgun and LAR all have tubular magazines, which are magazines. The more you know, the more like :IS2: you become. :)

Everything else is fair dinkum mate :D

Reactions: Aze and Benjamin
Upvote 0
@Aze, thanks for your input. For the time being I'm going to concentrate on the Shotgun elements from your post but have filed the rest somewhere safe.

For the time being, the first version going to be using a healing dart, same as the MP7, this is purly for the sake of convienence on my part. Once I've started to get things working I'm more than happy to explore the 'healing spray' alternative or hand the files over to someone else to do so.

Weight: 5kg sounds right.
Baseprices:

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Did not know that! I stand corrected :)

Yeah, it's quite simple; but someone downrated my post up above because they hate :IS2:

Also this is how they work:
Spoiler!

The magazine has a spring in the front which pushes the shells/cartridges into position, which are fed via the pump or lever. The little side gate on the LAR and slot in front of the trigger guard on the Shotgun is where the magazine is loaded.

I couldn't find any pictures related to a LAR, so a shotgun will have to suffice :)

Upvote 0