• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Media Update: Mosin Nagant

the fun fact is acctually most of NLF and vietcong soldiers in the south don't use much mosin nagant rifle . those rifles mostly in the Rear Echelon troops ,militia , arms worker hand staying in the north vietnam . in the south most of vietcong fighter in early war using left over mas 36 and arisaka rifle (not much), m1 garand , m1 carbine (many) left over from french rather than mosin-nagant because early war 7.62x54R ammo for mosin are much less available in the south than ammo for mas 36 , american m1 or arisaka

in the year of 1960 > 1965 mainly issue rifle for NLF male soldier is m1 garand . for female ones is M1 carbine . the reason is simply ammo , spare part , cleaning kits , ammo clip , magazine .american weapon are much more advance than ****ty french , japs thing left over . ammo also much more available

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SeptemberSnow;n2270407 said:
the fun fact is acctually most of NLF and vietcong soldiers in the south don't use much mosin nagant rifle . those rifles mostly in the Rear Echelon troops ,militia , arms worker hand staying in the north vietnam . in the south most of vietcong fighter in early war using left over mas 36 and arisaka rifle (not much), m1 garand , m1 carbine (many) left over from french rather than mosin-nagant because early war 7.62x54R ammo for mosin are much less available in the south than ammo for mas 36 , american m1 or arisaka

in the year of 1960 > 1965 mainly issue rifle for NLF male soldier is m1 garand . for female ones is M1 carbine . the reason is simply ammo , spare part , cleaning kits , ammo clip , magazine .american weapon are much more advance than ****ty french , japs thing left over . ammo also much more available
I'd suspect there are a couple of reasons for the Mosin being chosen over other, more historically plentiful, weapons. The first one being that having the Mosin Nagant is just more thematically consistent since most of the weaponry for the NVA in RS2 is Russian designed. The second being, and I could be mistaken, but the possibility that a Mosin with a PU scope was probably less rare than other scoped alternatives. If I remember right the Russians made quite a few of those scopes, relative to other nations of course.

I'd love to see the MAS 36 make it into the game after release though. The Vietnam War setting is a good opportunity to show some french weaponry, something that definitely isn't seen much in games.

Reactions: morticore
Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2270427 said:
a Mosin with a PU scope was probably less rare than other scoped alternatives
This. We originally only had it in as the sniper rifle, but since it's the same mesh and animations for the regular rifle we figured we might as well add it in as a bolt action rifle for those masochists among the community. :p

Upvote 0
Vietnam is not listed as user but under "wars" you can see "Vietnam war". But I have no idea how many Vz61s were in Vietnam so hard to say it if makes sence to include it. I'll try to find something.

Edit: OK it was most likely there according to some stories. So no solid evidence. But it was apparently used by Ho Chi Minh bodyguards and some sappers.

Not necessarily common. It's probably better if it won't be included in game after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perun58;n2272403 said:
Vietnam is not listed as user but under "wars" you can see "Vietnam war". But I have no idea how many Vz61s were in Vietnam so hard to say it if makes sence to include it. I'll try to find something.

Edit: OK it was most likely there according to some stories. So no solid evidence. But it was apparently used by Ho Chi Minh bodyguards and some sappers.

Not necessarily common. It's probably better if it won't be included in game after all.

you are correct . in vietnam we called vz.61 = K61 submachine gun .
PM-63 and vz.61 . vz.58 mostly issue for grovernment guard high command operatiors in the north and some sapper comandos unit
my dad was an Guard officer in 80s . he have an vz61 smg and p64 pistol inside his bag . 24/7

Last edited:
Upvote 0