• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mechwarrior Online Free 2 Play game

I really like the game, it has some really great moments when there's teamwork but there are also an equal amount of moments when there is no teamwork but even then it's mostly fun. Configuring the mechs is fun, the heavy mech I have has almost nothing of it's original load out, I figured I could use a mech that deals damage mostly over long distances but I realized I get killed extremely easy by enemies who get too close so I started changing the long distance rockets with short distance ones, switched the engine for something slower to leave space open for more weapons and armour so now I have a heavy mech that deals a great deal of damage in close range and some on long range too, it's slow but effective but now I think I should've bought an assault mech from the start.

Upvote 0
Yeah the Mechlab is simply addicting. I spent hours configuring my mech. There's no "best" build for a mech, it constantly changes according to your playstyle and enemies present on a map.

About the teamwork thing, it's a hit and miss because there's no proper communication means yet. Chat is good up to a degree but in the heat of the battle it is often ignored. We should be able to designate targets everyone to focus on and orders visible on HUD.

What's worst is the game puts you up against groups of 4 people. If you happen to be on a team with 8 random guys and there's a group on the other side, you're guaranteed to lose %90. Especially on evenings soloing is not really viable. You're just cannonfodder.

Can't beat 'em? Then join them. I suggest finding a "dropship" on No Guts No Galaxy or Comcast EU TS3 servers. Surprisingly there are lots of people looking for teamwork.

Upvote 0
I'm at my 4th mech now. I'll likely pony up the cash for extra mech bays. The game is well worth paying for. I'd rather pay for mech bays, and "earn" my mechs, than simply buying them with cash. That just seems too easy, and not very satisfying.

So far, I'm probably most effective with my Quad A/C 2 Cataphract. It desperately needs a bigger engine though. <50kph is too slow.

I've also got a pair of long range support Centurions - one with a pair of large lasers, the other with a gauss rifle. Both with LRMs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The more dakka on a Cataphract, the better. As a Catapult K2 owner, I'm not even as frightened of Atlases as I was when I see a Cataphract with dual/triple cannons turn a corner. That constant cannon barrage is disorienting and those cats can last a long time.

I bought my second mech, Atlas D-DC last night after much grinding. I got sick of hiding/being second in the line with my sniper K2. It's some good ol' brawling time now.

Upvote 0
One thing I recommend is really carefully thinking about which pilot modules to get and making an as informed purchase as possible. You can later switch those modules between mechs, if needed, but make sure you get something that will really help you with your specific mech, or be a good fit for most of your mechs (naturally, it is convenient to buy duplicates of a given module, so you don't have to muck about with them every time you swith a mech, but if you need to priorites C-bills, you can make do with just a single module of a given kind).

What do you have in mind in terms of modules? What sort of a facility would you like to enhance on those mechs of yours?

Upvote 0
What do you have in mind in terms of modules? What sort of a facility would you like to enhance on those mechs of yours?

I don't have a single module yet, but am eyeing the target delay for my LRM shots on my long range support mechs (Gauss / Large Lasers on Centurions). The Advanced zoom looks like a no brainer, but I understand CryEngine just doubles the pixel size, so I'm not really sure how useful the PIP zoom would be. Probably even less useful when I'm sniping using FLIR.

Upvote 0
Is it me or UAC5's are almost broken in this game? Yes, you have a %20 chance of jamming if you shoot while it reloads. It can jam as soon as you fire but sometimes I get almost 20 rounds out in 3 seconds which completely obliterates anyone in front of me, including atlases.

I'M currently using 2xUAC5's, 2xLL, 3xSSRM2's on my Atlas and I'm literally winning my team games. It didn't feel like I mattered when I used Catapult K2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, after graduating through three Cents and three Dragons, I got myself an Atlas D-DC now.

Fun fun fun (just like my previous mechs, but in a different way). Going to be a long time before I get two more to get them up to elite level, although I probably won't go for the XL engine one, as I noticed I get my AC20 taken out first almost every single time. Had to put a large laser on the left arm to off-set the loss slightly, or to make them wonder whether to focus on my right torso (AC/20, med laser on the arm), or the left one (LRM15 & LRM 10 with Artemis and large laser on the arm).
Also, ECM is fun fun when you're the one wearing it.

Upvote 0
I bought a DDC after much grinding but I found the gameplay with it not to my liking. I was doing pretty good with it with this build AS7-D-DC, but being a clumsy hulk of metal wasn't really exciting.

Being an underdog person, I recently mastered the Awesomes. I don't understand the people saying they are worthless. I think 8Q's and 9M's are probably one of deadliest mechs in the game, especially after recent buffs to large energy weapons. They also teach you how to shield your body with your arms and spread damage evenly.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I was really split between the Atlas (for its awesome presence) and the Awesome (for its speed and large energy weapons combinations) chassis, being an underdog person myself. I went with a, nomen omen, change of pace, but I intend to get the Awesomes once I have my 3 Atlai.

Are you running your Awesomes with an XL?

Upvote 0
I have my 8Q running with a STD300(biggest you can mount) and 9M with XL320(stock). I don't recommend XL's with 8 series because you really need the survivability with those, and tonnage savings don't really matter as energy weapons are relatively light.

I use the 8Q as "just behind the line" support, alphaing with 3 PPCs continously(heat efficiency is really good) to kill weak targets or soften bigger targets. 9M is the most fun mech I've used in this game, you can literally run 'n gun with it(mine does 72kph with speed tweak) and being fast makes up for extra vulnerability because enemies usually don't have time to focus one specific location. I use 3LPLs and 2SRM6+1SRM4 with it. 3LPLs are absolutely devastating.

My 8T is only bought for mastering purposes and being a LRM boat only, I don't like it. Using LRMs are really a matter of luck for public games. Sometimes you get lucky and enemy doesn't have ECM and your team targets for you but mostly you sit there unable to use your missiles.

Upvote 0