• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [MAP-WIP] Warsaw

For the past 2 days I've been gathering information about the figthing in Warsaw during the second world war. Warsaw is a very interesting location for a map since 80% of the city was completly destroyed.

I couldn't find much information about Germans figthing Soviets in the city, it seems like it was mostly Germans vs Polish insurgents. Hope someone can shed some light on this.
Anyways, even if the Russians didn't fight in Warsaw and just entered when the Germans retreated there is nothing worng with some made up combat!

This is a 4 parts aerial image of the part of the map I want to do:

Since it looks kinda big I thought about removing some parts that look repetive like this:

Red = Removed.

Roughly this:
HPSpd.png

Objectives
XGbFL.png

This is just a general Idea. I may make fewer objectives.
So far the only Objective that will surely be featured is the last one, the "Church of St. Augustine"

Gameplay Details

• Russians Attack, Germans Defend.
  • Once the Soviets take A and B Germans cannot take them back. The same happens with E and F once D and C are captured, wich will also lock C and D. (Hope I'm clear)
  • Russians would have 2 tanks and the Germans just 1. Although Germans would have a few extra engineers.
  • Russians will have plenty of Katyuska support, few Artillery support and no Mortar Support.
  • Germans will have plenty of Mortar Support, few Artillery Support and no Nebelwerfer Support.
Obviously the map will have plenty of cover thanks to the amount of debris and the ruins. Even the parts that look flat on the Aerial pics are filled with debris:
Augustyn.jpg
getto_muranow.jpg

Pictures of the last objective.

REFERENCES
http://www.behance.net/gallery/City-of-Ruins/4066411
Video
City Of Ruins (HD full film) - YouTube
Stills (Pretty much what you see in this screens is what you will see ingame)
Spoiler!

What do you guys think about the area of the map? Is it to big? To small? I wont start working on this until I know for sure how much of the location I will make. Besides, I'm still working on another map.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it'll play out without transport vehicles, but I'm glad we're getting huge maps either way. It's best to have them ready by the time we actually get them. I think the idea is great.
Until we get them, I will have to rely on good spawn points that are not to far from the objectives.

Upvote 0
I think you should reimagine the city based on your objectives. The distances don't have to be exactly like the picture. This way you won't have to deal with transports or people complaining about good spawns. Also, it looks like it will be similar to Commissar's house based on the objective orders.

Upvote 0
I think you should reimagine the city based on your objectives. The distances don't have to be exactly like the picture. This way you won't have to deal with transports or people complaining about good spawns. Also, it looks like it will be similar to Commissar's house based on the objective orders.

Nope, you can easily do good spawns and a big map, Gorlitz for RO1 was pretty big if I remember, transport didn't matter really but because of the long range/short distance fighting among the buildings, rubble and good spawns it played out great. In this case the distances might have to be bigger then Gorlitzs (which were not that huge) because of RO2s increased speed.

I've been waiting for a huge city map and can't wait to see how this progress, but aren't you working on a factory map as well?

Upvote 0
Nope, you can easily do good spawns and a big map, Gorlitz for RO1 was pretty big if I remember, transport didn't matter really but because of the long range/short distance fighting among the buildings, rubble and good spawns it played out great. In this case the distances might have to be bigger then Gorlitzs (which were not that huge) because of RO2s increased speed.

I've been waiting for a huge city map and can't wait to see how this progress, but aren't you working on a factory map as well?

I was just thinking of Druzhina being played 3 rounds in a row totaling up to 120 minutes on one map. It is very painful.

Upvote 0
I was just thinking of Druzhina being played 3 rounds in a row totaling up to 120 minutes on one map. It is very painful.

Druzhina is big but not that big, I expect this to be probably bigger, I would say Druzhina is small compared to some of the really large RO1 maps, as you can easily run through Druzhina while on some RO1 maps you desperately wanted a transport.

Gorlitz from RO1 was pretty big but because of the good spawns and setup it always felt like a fight was going on and you were slowly pushing up or getting pushed back so it felt great and not a constant walk-die-repeat fest.

If this ends up being as big as I imagine, no server is going to run this 3 times, maybe some will do it twice but no way 3 times.

Closest RO1 map that I can compare to Druzhina would be Der Zoo Bunker and even then that was a lot wider (we need a remake of that :p)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Druzhina is big but not that big, I expect this to be probably bigger, I would say Druzhina is small compared to some of the really large RO1 maps, as you can easily run through Druzhina while on some RO1 maps you desperately wanted a transport.
It has a 45 minute round time limit, 3 rounds is going to last a very long time (asuming it goes down to the last seconds, it could hit 2 hours). And it is pretty big, bigger than alot of the RO:OST maps, not to mention the fact that RO:OST had a slower movement speed, meaning transport was needed in more situations.

Upvote 0
It has a 45 minute round time limit, 3 rounds is going to last a very long time (asuming it goes down to the last seconds, it could hit 2 hours). And it is pretty big, bigger than alot of the RO:OST maps, not to mention the fact that RO:OST had a slower movement speed, meaning transport was needed in more situations.

I understand that it can be played for a long time, my point was if this map is bigger then Druzhina because most of the custom city maps in RO1 were pretty damn huge no way in hell a server would have it last for 3 rounds. As that would tire everyone out.

Yeah hopefully it won't be painfully long to play. I'd say a big map totaling two rounds should be around 40 to 50 minutes. Any longer I think players would feel fatigued, I know I do. I am also making a map so I have to think about these things.

Yeah I agree with you, I prefer having one round per huge map as once you have a long awesome battle, re doing it is kind of annoying.

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree with you, I prefer having one round per huge map as once you have a long awesome battle, re doing it is kind of annoying.
Exactly. In my opinion long battles are much more satisfactory than several short ones.

[40-1]MORD: Ofcourse, if you look closely my map is based on the area it shows.
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like the idea, but don't you think the capzones are extremly huge? I'd cut out B, C and I, and split the rest in much smaller caps. I think city maps should focus on streets, at least in some parts of it, so I made two version of how I'd make Warsaw.

Version 1:
Spoiler!

This one would focus on the Marszalkowska Street, taking the fight through some small squares to the Saxon Garden and ending at the Pilsudski Square.

Version 2:
Spoiler!

Well, this is the huge version, with the fighting taking place at both parks. The attackers start attacking the Krasinski Park, followed by the Krasinski Palace. Then, they would fight through the Miodowa Street towards the Saxon Garden.

I'd love to see both parks in the battle, but I think the fighting through the Miodowa Street would be kinda repetitive as it's a very long street. That's why I think the first version would probably work better. That's how I'd make Warsaw using that area you selected, at least :p

Upvote 0
It's only a general Idea. I is only a church, like in Spartanovka. E and F are intended to be like the house blocks from Spartanovka aswell, a little longer. They arn't that big. And if they are, I can fix that easly.
The only one that may be big is C, but I will see about that.

:)
I know and I like it. It's just that, until we get halftracks, maps can't be too wide, otherwise the battle wouldn't be focused and everybody would be scattered across the map. So the only way to keep the fighting focused and concentrated is to make the map a bit narrow. It can be as long as the mapper likes, with several kilometers of lenght if he wishes so, but being over 700m wide wouldn't work well IMHO.

I think you are more focused on the destroyed part of the city, where's mostrly rubble and completely destroyed buildings, right? It'd be really interesting, but remember that objectives need some strategic value. Making "pile of rubble" a capzone makes no sense, that's why you should make some defensive positions for the Germans. It could be a building, some treiches, a bunker or anything like. It should also be a very specific objective, and not a really large are that covers several buildings (unless they are smal, like the houses of Spartanovka, like you said). Basically, objectives should just feelsimportant, as if we were fighting for something meaningful and with strategic value.

And please, that only my opinion. Don't think I'm trying to tell you to make the map the way I want. I know I must sound like that sometimes :D

Upvote 0