• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map voting needs a serious overhaul

ArchoN2010

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Just like in Ostfront and Darkest Hour everyone simply votes what map is at the top, before the patch it was TE-Apartments and now it's TE-Barracks, it's stupid and repetetive as you play the same map over and over again, my suggestions;

1. Completley overhaul the interface for voting. Instead of just having a large list, have a kind of 'circle' with map names around the edges, that way no map is more significant than the other (for exmaple in the current system, whatever map is at the top has the most significance thus more votes) and some information in the middle of the interface about what maps have the most votes.

2. Make it so that the same map can not be played more than two times in a row.

3. Add a kind of 'rating' system for players so they can rate how well they enjoyed the map (this is of course optional, but it would be nice to have :p)

It wasn't really fine because everyone was so lazy that they just voted whatever map was at the top without thinking about it. The map at the top simply had too much significance, enough that everyone simply looked past what map they wanted to vote because it was a lot easier and quicker to vote whatever was at the top of the list.

Upvote 0
Maybe have the least played map on top?

So if everybody is lazy then all maps get even playing times.

this would be one solution. or the least-significantly-voted map there. it's like in some of the source game servers running one form or the other, they moved the buttons from press-1-for-suchandsuch to press-6-for whatever, so people had to look at what they were voting for.

at the very least, it will help stop people voting in a **** map and then complaining about who voted it in :D

Upvote 0
Well I would think admin options for servers would let you regulate how voting works (or if not it should be added). For instance, make it so that players can't vote for the same map twice in a row is a server option for admins. I don't think it should be hard coded into the game itself because admins should have control of how they want it to work. If they want to let you vote for the same map over and over, that should be allowed.

Upvote 0
Yeah the voting on the servers i play on is broken.

It comes up as barracks, and if you try to scroll down (it only has one option) it comes up with the rest of the list, but resets almost instantly, so you never get a chance to actually choose a map, and its just constantly barracks....
agreed...
the Mapvoting is a pain. after the update it even only shows 1server at a time?

This needs a serious overhaul. =/

Upvote 0
Hmm, again I'm going to pull an example of awesomeness from TF2.

There's a server mod for TF2 that allows players to rate maps on a scale of 1 to 5. The menu automatically pops up client-side for anyone who hasn't rated the map that is currently being played, but users can change their rating at any time with !maprate. I believe the choices are, Terrible, Poor, Average, Good, Excellent.

The mod automatically collects the collective users' preferences on which maps they like the most, and then when a map is close to finishing, a voting system pops up which includes 6 maps compiled from everyone's most favored.

That way the maps that are played next in rotation are always ranked most favored by the majority of current players. Also, the maps that show up for voting vary depending on the pool of players. Some players like Payload, others like 5-point. So if more Payload-leaning players are in the server, then more Payload maps show up in the voting system, etc.

It's awesome! ^^

The current voting system in RO2 obviously needs work.. sometimes there aren't any choices, and it's definitely over much too fast. I'm sure TWI is aware of this.. it's just not something that they had to address while play-testing it themselves, since they (probably) just tested specific maps anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, it would be nice to vote gametype first, then map.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would voice my opinion on this one and quote this same idea which I had regarding map voting.

The map voting interface in itself has some technical problems that needs to be fixed but in overall I'd say that this kind of voting would be the easiest to understand.

Of course this is not really a problem on servers which might run only one game type but on servers with all the game types enabled, it is hard to find the correct map / gametype combination from the lists.

I'd also like to see a two part voting, first vote for the next game type and a second vote for a specific map for the winning game type. i think this approach would make it much more clearer to user.

Upvote 0