• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Bridges of Druzhina Beta5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play Allies on it, and you might not hate it so much. :D

While possible to win as Allies on the RGN server without the tank, it seems substantially harder. But hey, it's your server.

It might be my server, but the regulars decide the how and why of game play, not I.

We are in agreement the Tank throws the map's balance completely out of whack. Further, a smart Allied team would use that tank as mobile artillery keeping it in the rear, protected from assault while having it hammer the German lines.

Its not only possible to win without the tank its a far more enjoyable win since the victory involves a real challenge and smart combat.

After all, we play to enjoy the game. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might be my server, but the regulars decide the how and why of game play, not I.

We are in agreement the Tank throws the map's balance completely out of whack. Further, a smart Allied team would use that tank as mobile artillery keeping it in the rear, protected from assault while having it hammer the German lines.

Its not only possible to win without the tank its a far more enjoyable win since the victory involves a real challenge and smart combat.

After all, we play to enjoy the game. ;)

Honestly, I've only had a chance to play it once or twice since it went official. There seems to have been some map changes, and a lot of people are saying it's too biased against Allies. I'm inclined to wait a few weeks until people get use to the map before passing judgement (most RO2 players probably never bothered to download the custom map).

I understand some obstacles have been placed around the map to limit the tank's line of sight. That might make the tank more palatable.

Upvote 0
Wow! I had no idea TW went and redesigned the map from under me at the last minute. The final version I gave them a couple of days before release was the same old Bridges with 4 caps before the Bridge and the first German spawns in the woods as it always was. I've only had a chance to play it once as I've been away and even then I didn't join the match until the Bakery so wasn't aware of these drastic changes (wasn't told and didn't think they'd do this tbh) I thought I still owned the map.. I'm pretty shocked by this I must say. The first part of the map plays completely different now and sucks imo. But I guess my opinion doesn't count anymore.
:mad:

Upvote 0
I haven't made it past the bakery since its been released officialy. It sucks if its true that they changed it without your knowledge. I hope it doesn't deter you from making maps in the future.

- The match I was in didn't get past the Bakery either.

- Nah, my only issue is time on that front. (damn me for loving big maps) :p

That really does suck, imo. I liked the first two caps being free cap zones for the Russians. It helped to let both sides prepare for the next area. It was also the perfect opportunity to setup a bunch of artillery targets.

Yep, it was a slow down mechanic for those reasons and more. And it worked pretty well I thought.
TW didn't like them but gave me an option to either remove them or at least remove the spawn protection in the field stopping the germans from getting to them. (They felt players would think the map was broken if they couldn't advance to those caps) I explained why they were there and why I wanted to keep them so I chose the latter and removed the spawn protection I had setup in the field. (I wasn't over the moon about it but it was a compromise I could live with) I guess they didn't think that was enough in the end and removed them altogether and moved spawns to compensate.

The Russians won on this map twice today on the 2.FJg server.
Well it's good to hear it's not grinding to a halt at the bakery every time.

Upvote 0
Wow! I had no idea TW went and redesigned the map from under me at the last minute. The final version I gave them a couple of days before release was the same old Bridges with 4 caps before the Bridge and the first German spawns in the woods as it always was. I've only had a chance to play it once as I've been away and even then I didn't join the match until the Bakery so wasn't aware of these drastic changes (wasn't told and didn't think they'd do this tbh) I thought I still owned the map.. I'm pretty shocked by this I must say. The first part of the map plays completely different now and sucks imo. But I guess my opinion doesn't count anymore.

100% Agreement..... We've begun running the Infantry Only version with the better, more challenging layout.

Sad that a "hands off" policy cannot be honored... This version is seriously lame.... all I've gotten was complaints about the loss of the first two cap zones and obvious changes. The regular players spotted them right off.

Upvote 0

Could you release a fresh Custom Map version "Harley's Edition"? Basically, just release what you sent to TWI?

Upvote 0
I am shocked to ear about Tripwire's modifications and decisions for your map... now people know that it is not your decision.. I think the first two caps was a good thing, it was not reachable for the defenders but, it was good for starting the map, each side prepares for the real battle at the next two caps..... hum...

By the way Harley I'm trying to contact you, can you add me to steam when you connect (friend invite already sent), thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been in contact with TW about the changes and they're happy to listen to my suggestions - to cut a long story short, they remain steadfast on their reasons for removing the first two caps. They see it as a bug and I see it as a design decision. So it had to go.

I've also asked for more reinforcements to be added. Bridges has always been a 'drop like flies' experience for new guys but I still think it needs more regardless. Not sure what's going to happen there.

I don't think I'll be able to release another version, that'll get pretty confusing for many players and tbh I shouldn't have to.
There is an infantry only version but that's a whole different hardcore bag of hurt. :p

My greatest concern is that now things have been removed and changed, the map will become homogenized in trying to re-balance it again. It doesn't take much to change the experience completely, as you guys know. Bit more cover here, bit more cover there and Bam, it's lost the tension.

Upvote 0
Well, tough luck Harley. I have played the official version of Bridges twice over a total of 4 rounds last weekend.
The lack of the first 2 capzones is "meh" and eventhough I played in a team with a couple of long-time players, Axis won all 4 rounds with over 100 reinfs left.
The map is not really awesome anymore, because except the first 2 capzones inside the city, there was no more advance because of 0 reinfs.

Your map has been clean-washed for whatever reason and for me, that was the nail on the coffin for this game as I have lost any faith in any kind of understandable and correct design decision by TWI.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.