• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Manual bolting?

What a load of nitpickers here, its still a game! Not a simulator! Even Arma 2 that is a combat simulator doesn't have a slow reload time. Its fine, imagine if you have to reload your weapon and it will take more than 7 seconds, you would be died by now in RO! The most of the times where i get killed in the game is when i reload!

Upvote 0
Shall we take some other potential variables into account aswell, like how new the pouch is, how wet they are, are you in bad position to open it, how cold\warm it is, do you have any cuts in your fingers, how long your fingernails are etc? If yes, we could end up with over 30 second reload time for a rifle which is justified in the name of realism if things are truly FUBAR :p

I wouldn't mind that actually but I am very positive others would.

Well I'm often the last person to suggest adding things like that, but it would be a sufficient reason for slowing down a reload.

Upvote 0
The animations in nearly every game are too fast than is realistic. Rarely have I seen a game actually take into account all the necessary steps to complete an action. Switching weapons for example, involves more than simply lowering your weapon out of view and then pulling out a new one out of thin air. Ever think about where exactly that machinegunner puts his MG when he switches to pistol?

But it's a necessary compromise to facilitate fast paced gameplay and waiting a long time for an animation to play is no fun for the player.

This. In RO 1, the weapon reloading was a bit slow, however, pulling the mags/clips out were far too quick.

The overall time was pretty good.

So far in HoS, everything looks so fast.

I also don't like the blur/tilt effect when you sprint, it just looks... odd.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
I wonder if any collector here can tell me if the pouches or however they were named carrying the ammo clips had any metallic parts, cause I would really love to have sounds of your hand shuffling those pouches when reaching for a new clip/magazine but if they were all leather or cloth I suppose you wouldn't hear anything in a battle.

Generally I would like to hear lots of quite, subtle sounds coming from your equipment, especially when changing stances.

Back on the topic though, I agree that when taking a new magazine should be more than just your hand disappearing from the screen and right after that a magazine materializes in your hand and you bring it back up. I don't expect to see your hand opening your pouches when you look down, that's why I want such sounds to be in the game.

Upvote 0
The most of the times where i get killed in the game is when i reload!
That can be a problem with your timing. Its too bad we cant interrupt the reload animations in RO:OST.
So far in HoS, everything looks so fast.

I also don't like the blur/tilt effect when you sprint, it just looks... odd.
Yeah same here. I really dident like that at all, it not like your vision gets blurry when you start to sprint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got a '38 Mosin 91/30 and I can tell you I am untrained and I bolt much faster than the soldiers in RO. Can't comment on reload speed as I don't have any clips.

doomis said:
I wonder if any collector here can tell me if the pouches or however they were named carrying the ammo clips had any metallic parts, cause I would really love to have sounds of your hand shuffling those pouches when reaching for a new clip/magazine but if they were all leather or cloth I suppose you wouldn't hear anything in a battle.

I've got a couple ammo pouches, and while there are metal parts, you wouldn't hear them because they fasten by leather-on-metal. They're not exactly quick to open, I usually just leave them open when I go shooting. Not exactly an option when you're bouncing around in a warzone. Of course I'm not sure the ones I got were standard issue in WW2, but they look identical to the ones in Ostfront so I guess they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see, then it seems that all those nice clunky metal sounds come from more modern equipment where lots of gadgets are carried around. Anyway, just thought to ask.

I agree though that it would be best if they found a way for you to understand that your are searching around in your pouches for some seconds and then keep the fast reload animation. Again I am just guessing since I have never ever in my life touched a gun, let alone reload one.

Upvote 0
I see, then it seems that all those nice clunky metal sounds come from more modern equipment where lots of gadgets are carried around. Anyway, just thought to ask.

I agree though that it would be best if they found a way for you to understand that your are searching around in your pouches for some seconds and then keep the fast reload animation. Again I am just guessing since I have never ever in my life touched a gun, let alone reload one.

Infiltration used to have small details like these that enhanced the overall experience - hearing the velcro-flaps of your ammo-pouches being torn open to retrieve a fresh clip was really immersive. Hopefully RO2 will do the same, so you're completely right with this post.

Upvote 0
They should put in one of those bars like Gears of War or Alien Swarm where if you press R again when the bar is in a certain area your reload fast so you can quickly reload in a tight spot, but if you mess up (press R outside of highlighted fast reload part of bar) then you fumble around and mess up fitting the magazine in to the gun. And if you don't press anything then it reloads at a normal speed.

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
They should put in one of those bars like Gears of War or Alien Swarm where if you press R again when the bar is in a certain area your reload fast so you can quickly reload in a tight spot, but if you mess up (press R outside of highlighted fast reload part of bar) then you fumble around and mess up fitting the magazine in to the gun. And if you don't press anything then it reloads at a normal speed.

this is a joke right? that system makes no sense, gameplay-wise or in terms of simulating reality.

Reactions: mistk�fer
Upvote 0
this is a joke right? that system makes no sense, gameplay-wise or in terms of simulating reality.

It does make a bit of sense, but it would detract from the gameplay, I think.
You can reload weapons really fast, if you know how, know what you are doing and have a good coordination. If you mess up in the process, you are out of your rhythm. If you follow standard procedure, it's a bit slower, but it gets the job done every time.
I do not think this should be in the same way as GoW, because first of all, there will be a quicktime event to have better skills and second of all that bar would be bad, since we are trying to have less HUD elements.

Fast pistol reloading: YouTube - Fast Pistol Reloading
If you mess up during that process, you probably need a while to recover or fiddle with the magazine to get it in, but if you get everything right, it works and is really fast.
Bolt action rifles in itself are slower to reload because of the internal magazines of course. Also dirt and other influences can change the speed, so someone that is crawling or diving into the mud a lot, will probably have problems reloading vulnerable weapon systems, that can jam a lot.

Upvote 0
It does make a bit of sense, but it would detract from the gameplay, I think.
You can reload weapons really fast, if you know how, know what you are doing and have a good coordination. If you mess up in the process, you are out of your rhythm. If you follow standard procedure, it's a bit slower, but it gets the job done every time.
I do not think this should be in the same way as GoW, because first of all, there will be a quicktime event to have better skills and second of all that bar would be bad, since we are trying to have less HUD elements.

Fast pistol reloading: YouTube - Fast Pistol Reloading
If you mess up during that process, you probably need a while to recover or fiddle with the magazine to get it in, but if you get everything right, it works and is really fast.
Bolt action rifles in itself are slower to reload because of the internal magazines of course. Also dirt and other influences can change the speed, so someone that is crawling or diving into the mud a lot, will probably have problems reloading vulnerable weapon systems, that can jam a lot.

fast reloading is a modern technique that applies to modern weapons and reloading mechanics and is mostly pageantry. how are you going to fast reload a kar 98? the speed of reloading really depends on the individual. in combat situation, the whole philosophy of fast reloading goes out the window. it's pretty easy to do the quick mag release and pull with all the parts in the right place while standing in the right posture. many other variables come into play during combat.

so to represent it in this game is anachronistic and silly. also, the gameplay mechanics of "fast reloading" is just silly. you click on a wheel? with the trigger button? the mouse+keyboard cannot simulate fine motor movement at all. that's why bolting and reloading is always a single click, automatic process, and it should best remain that way.

what you guys ask for in these intricate hand movement mini-games is essentially taking away from the focus of the game, which is combat. they would be fine in a surgery simulation, not here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fast pistol reloading:.
I hope you realize that this weapon is highly modified and he's using a special magazine holder on his belt and he's not using a revolver (with or without a speed loader).;)

At one time I did the IPSC match thing. Fast reloads are almost as essential as speed and accuracy.
YouTube - TODD JARRETT FLORIDA OPEN

My custom built competition .38super
38superpro.jpg

Upvote 0
Autobolting requires breakable animations otherwise we went back to the mod days where we could watch oneself getting stabbed due to the rebolting animation.

Agreed.

Fun as manual bolting is I always felt it was a solution to problem that didn't need to exist. I played a lot of the original Call of Duty and it's expansion back in the day (don't hurt me) and at no point did the auto bolting ever get me into trouble. The bolting animation would always continue regardless of whether you were firing down the sights or from the hip, and most importantly - while transitioning between the two. That meant you could pretty naturally fire a shot, right click to lower the weapon and continue moving and the bolting animation didn't skip a beat. At any point you could interrupt the animation by selecting a different weapon or sprinting (a mod) and the weapon would simply be bolted the next time you selected it. Simple.

So in short, I'm glad manual bolting's back, but I really hope some changes have been made so it's not a necessity. I don't really want to be in situations in HOS where I'm locked into iron sights mode (and therefore cannot run) or otherwise lose player control because of a simple bolting animation.

Upvote 0
Autobolting requires breakable animations otherwise we went back to the mod days where we could watch oneself getting stabbed due to the rebolting animation.

What's the point in implementing manual bolting and breakable animations?

It's one or the other surely. You can either bolt manually, or bolt automatically and run the risk of getting caught cycling a round. I don't see the point of implementing breakable anims, as that renders manual bolting useless.

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
I don't see why you should have to 'run the risk' of bolting as if it's some major endeavour. There's no reason if I bolt while sighted that I should be forced to hold the rifle up to my face and be locked into walking for the duration of the animation. As we've heard the Tripwire guys say before, they want to make the things that are easy to do in real life easy to do in-game. If that's the case, then I really should be able to interrupt that animation if a grenade lands by my feet. Taking away player control is just frustrating, and at the end of the day it just feels clunky.

Ramm stated before that manual bolting will be slightly faster than auto, so there's the advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Emperor
Upvote 0
I don't see why you should have to 'run the risk' of bolting as if it's some major endeavour. There's no reason if I bolt while sighted that I should be forced to hold the rifle up the face and be locked into walking for the duration of the animation. As we've heard the Tripwire guys say before, they want to make the things that are easy to do in real life easy to do in-game. If that's the case, then I really should be able to interrupt that animation if a grenade lands by my feet. Taking away player control is just frustrating, and at the end of the day it just feels clunky.

Ramm stated before that manual bolting will be slightly faster than auto, so there's the advantage.

Good point.....

Upvote 0