• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MadnessMut

As I thought of the many mutator ideas, including my RandomMut idea, but I soon found inspiration for another possible mutator that would combine the many great programming possibilities with the creepiness of KF's setting.

Here it is:

The description basically is that your character is insane. There would be a scrambling engine to keep all 'madness effects' be a new combination for the player, so that said player would have a new experience for a great many play-throughs, even on the same map. However, some effects may effect the entire team (possibly, but individual effects are preffered)

But heres my question: are my upcoming ideas physically possible to program? Please keep in mind that many of these effect not the engine, but the display and sound, so its more flexible in that way.

So heres a list of possible effects:

General graphics:
A polarized switch (black=white, white=black, ect.)
Extremely heavy fog may fill the screen.

Player HUD:
It may appear that your health will be randomly going down on your HUD for no reason at all.
Your hands will become invisible, or perhaps your gun
Your perk will look like it went to a completely different perk lvl or class

Other Players:
Other players may appear to be at 1 health when they are at full
Player healthbars and tags are switched around.
The health and armor may be the exact opposite of what it actually is (no health=full health, full amor=noarmor)
The health bar of other players may go away entirely
Other players may become invisible

Sound:
You may hear FPs and scrakes when none exist
You may hear screaming
You may hear a small child taunting you (just for those creepy movie's sake)
You may hear ambient creepy whispering

Specimen:
Specimen may take on a player's skin/texture (DJSkully clots)(effects entire team)
A specimen type may take on your char skin as well as health bar/name
Nonexistent images of specimen may appear

Map appearance(?):
Floors ceilings and walls may have: Eyeballs, burning pentagrams, mouths, blood, black goo, ect.
Skyboxes will likely have something very creepy as their display.

Please say which are possible or impossible, and feel free to add your own:D

Last edited:
Basically turn KF into an amalagram of F.E.A.R. and Eternal Darkness? Me likey....

How about Zed's just barely in your viewfield, that fade or disappear as you turn toward them? I also think the fog should be a permanent feature of this mode, not just a temporary mind-screw.

A game mode like this should turn down the pace of the action, but increase the power of individual zeds (or decrease the player's offensive and defensive power) to lower the "action-game" vibe and highlight the survival-horror aspect. Subtle effects to increase suspense and dread don't work if you're busy blasting away at zombies. Think the difference between L4D's gameplay/combat and Resident Evil (the original PS1 games) and/or Silent Hill's "action".

Just thinking about walking around Wyre in a deep haze only to begin hearing whispering along with Scrakes that might or might not really be around the bend.....it'd make for some heart-pounding moments to be sure, especially with 4 or less players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow. Can't believe no one thought of this before! (far as I know)

I really like this idea, but I think the map changing (all that demonic jazz and such like) would be near impossible to add with ease. Everything else should be easy to a talented coder, but it does seem like pretty nifty yes, but pretty hard stuff to make. Players become invisible? Errr could work REALLY WELL or suck.

Now that you've said it, I would like to see some sort of this 'fear' aspect in a KF campaign (e.g dementia when character loses comrades/family, or being bitten by a venomous specimen etc) should TW ever deem it worthy of their time. I believe YoYoBatty's porting the campaign (I think, is he?) to the retail version, maybe ask him to add this stuff to it? Hey just a suggestion.

Also the music should change drastically throughout gameplay, perhaps even play 'Abandon All' and spawn Patty though a 100/1 chance he's not real. But the rare chance he is he'll be easy to take down?

Upvote 0
Wow. Can't believe no one thought of this before! (far as I know)

I really like this idea, but I think the map changing (all that demonic jazz and such like) would be near impossible to add with ease. Everything else should be easy to a talented coder, but it does seem like pretty nifty yes, but pretty hard stuff to make. Players become invisible? Errr could work REALLY WELL or suck.

Now that you've said it, I would like to see some sort of this 'fear' aspect in a KF campaign (e.g dementia when character loses comrades/family, or being bitten by a venomous specimen etc) should TW ever deem it worthy of their time. I believe YoYoBatty's porting the campaign (I think, is he?) to the retail version, maybe ask him to add this stuff to it? Hey just a suggestion.

Also the music should change drastically throughout gameplay, perhaps even play 'Abandon All' and spawn Patty though a 100/1 chance he's not real. But the rare chance he is he'll be easy to take down?

Yes, it does seem a tad hard to program, doesn't it?

But, personally, I would love to see this as an addition (I would never trust anything on my screen again:))

And also, despite how much it sounds like eternal darkness, perhaps some of these could be implemented in the campiagn by having more trigger both as your health goes down, and your teammates die (or even if you go to particularly disturbing areas on the map for too long).

If this was ever made, I would learn to fear again.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a cavalcade of fun. Now you just need a bunch of friends who know how to create content to make this a mutator.

*Points at YoyoBatty*

;)

And by the way, I was equally surprised that this hasn't come up as an idea.
People try dragging enough bad ideas from Resident Evil, you think they'd bring the good stuff for a change :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it does seem a tad hard to program, doesn't it?

But, personally, I would love to see this as an addition (I would never trust anything on my screen again:))

And also, despite how much it sounds like eternal darkness, perhaps some of these could be implemented in the campiagn by having more trigger both as your health goes down, and your teammates die (or even if you go to particularly disturbing areas on the map for too long).

If this was ever made, I would learn to fear again.

'Sanity bar'? E.g spending lots of time in the dark/alone, low health, death of comrades would decrease the 'bar' and increase all of these wicked effects? :/

Upvote 0
'Sanity bar'? E.g spending lots of time in the dark/alone, low health, death of comrades would decrease the 'bar' and increase all of these wicked effects? :/

Its a good idea, but I didn't want to suggest it in an attempt not to sound like 'Eternal Darkness', which has a sanity bar.

But it remains relatively un-ripped off. That game was awesome, Im surprised more games haven't tried imitating it. And that mechanic worked pretty well in eternal darkness, and hasn't been used since......so maybe we could use it after all:)

If course, if anyone is opposed to this, there are other ways this could be pulled off; however, the sanity bar is one of the most direct ways to implement it.

Upvote 0
Its a good idea, but I didn't want to suggest it in an attempt not to sound like 'Eternal Darkness', which has a sanity bar.

But it remains relatively un-ripped off. That game was awesome, Im surprised more games haven't tried imitating it. And that mechanic worked pretty well in eternal darkness, and hasn't been used since......so maybe we could use it after all:)

If course, if anyone is opposed to this, there are other ways this could be pulled off; however, the sanity bar is one of the most direct ways to implement it.

Well I've never played the game before, so wait is the sanity bar visible? I was thinking of having it being invisible(?) but yeah I understand what you're getting at there.

I'm tempted to say to make a Zed have the ability to make people go insane, but you'd have to make a new Zed. Or, use the Stalker as she's the only Zed I can see ever it being plausible in the game system to implement with. But that kinda...doesn't work...meh

I was just playing Dead Space today (yipee!) and I was surprised that didn't have any sort of sanity bar, so I mean its a great idea, and its defiantly worth a shot at making a mod etc, but it might just make it goofy.

In my opinion anyway, Killing Floor is more an epic "bang-bang .... cooool .... bang-bang, heal, run, run away from the FP! - ah - ah I'm dead. :(/alive. :D" Where as games like Dead Space and Eternal Darkness (from what I've heard) is more super creepy and then BANG - terrifying. Now its not to say it wouldn't work with KF, but on-line gameplay would be super difficult to get a good system that would work. The campaign whether or not it'll come to exist, the 'sanity bar', could....could work a treat :)

Upvote 0
Well I've never played the game before, so wait is the sanity bar visible? I was thinking of having it being invisible(?) but yeah I understand what you're getting at there.

I'm tempted to say to make a Zed have the ability to make people go insane, but you'd have to make a new Zed. Or, use the Stalker as she's the only Zed I can see ever it being plausible in the game system to implement with. But that kinda...doesn't work...meh

I was just playing Dead Space today (yipee!) and I was surprised that didn't have any sort of sanity bar, so I mean its a great idea, and its defiantly worth a shot at making a mod etc, but it might just make it goofy.

In my opinion anyway, Killing Floor is more an epic "bang-bang .... cooool .... bang-bang, heal, run, run away from the FP! - ah - ah I'm dead. :(/alive. :D" Where as games like Dead Space and Eternal Darkness (from what I've heard) is more super creepy and then BANG - terrifying. Now its not to say it wouldn't work with KF, but on-line gameplay would be super difficult to get a good system that would work. The campaign whether or not it'll come to exist, the 'sanity bar', could....could work a treat :)

Yes, I meant it as a seperate mutator or other such feature; it wouldn't be a good idea for the main game.

But, yes I was originally thinking of an invisible 'sanity bar', but if that would be too hard to make, then have the player start out insane, and have it be randomly chosen effects.

And yes, 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' has a visible sanity bar in order for players to actively try and reserve sanity.

Or try and get rid of sanity, in my case of playing the game:D

Upvote 0
yesssss do itttttt, makes kf much more intensive--nowadays I don't even have to use much of my brain to play this game

yes.

if this ever comes into existence, I can bet that you will get a very scrary challenge.

All the different tricks to fool you....

youd be unable to trust anything you see or hear. And, as you struggle through the confusion (and possibly the mist/fog), you will get a rather more eerie and distrubing atmosphere.

And for the map alterations, would it be possible for a mutator to make a certain texture look different to the player? like cobblestone with pentagrams and satanic markings? Or perhaps making the skybox look like its on fire or covered in eyes or mouths?

Upvote 0