• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M4 or AK?

• M4

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • AK

Votes: 40 71.4%

• Total voters
Is the base reload time faster for AK than M4? I thought they were about the same, I can't tell.

Also, how do you deal with Husks using tier 2 AR's effectively on HOE at mid to long range? The AK recoil and sights throws me off when trying to land multiple consecutive headshots at range, M4 not much better against husks. I usually end up mag dumping AK bodyshots on them(I know it's terrible).

I thought they're the same before checking kf-wiki and posting the above post, it says M4 is slower (M4: 3.63s; AK: 3.0s). Have no idea if I should trust these stats and too lazy and sleepy to check atm. I still say if that's the case their reloading period should be equal so M4 would feel like effective against trash as much as AK.

M4 is terrible against Husks at range. Why? M4 neither will let you step back from headless Gorefasts, because Husk is taking potshots at you; nor will let you closer to Husk when you can't kill stuff fast enough. Going full auto cause you to reload more often and you can't control it at long range at all.
To deal with Husks with M4 you seriously need to consider getting height advantage and crouching on top of a solid obstacle which oversees the area.

AK, can at least handle the trash before Husk quickly as you're running around, allow you to at least get closer to unleash rest of the mag to its head from a certain distance to decapitate him. Not the best way to deal with'em but still, once you got close Husk is most likely dead in a good 2-3 seconds with AK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought they're the same before checking kf-wiki and posting the above post, it says M4 is slower (M4: 3.63s; AK: 3.0s). Have no idea if I should trust these stats and too lazy and sleepy to check atm. I still say if that's the case their reloading period should be equal so M4 would feel like effective against trash as much as AK.

M4 is terrible against Husks at range. Why? M4 neither will let you step back from headless Gorefasts, because Husk is taking potshots at you; nor will let you closer to Husk when you can't kill stuff fast enough. Going full auto cause you to reload more often and you can't control it at long range at all.
To deal with Husks with M4 you seriously need to consider getting height advantage and crouching on top of a solid obstacle which oversees the area.

AK, can at least handle the trash before Husk quickly as you're running around, allow you to at least get closer to unleash rest of the mag to its head from a certain distance to decapitate him. Not the best way to deal with'em but still, once you got close Husk is most likely dead in a good 2-3 seconds with AK.

Idk now that I think about it m4 does feel a bit slower reloading but i thought difference would be like .1 seconds... does not feel .6 seconds slower.

So the best way to handle husks with m4-ak loadout is to close the distance first?

Also as long as you get headshots I don't see any large difference in trash handling ability between the two guns.

Upvote 0
Idk now that I think about it m4 does feel a bit slower reloading but i thought difference would be like .1 seconds... does not feel .6 seconds slower.

So the best way to handle husks with m4-ak loadout is to close the distance first?

Also as long as you get headshots I don't see any large difference in trash handling ability between the two guns.

When given full perk bonus of level6; M4 hits 52 damage per shot and reloads ~0.45 second slower. As for trash handling, it takes 3 bodyshots for a Crawler (122 hp at Hell) and 4 bodyshots for a Stalker (175 hp at Hell).
AK reloads faster, hits 67 damage on a bodyshot and it 2 shots a Crawler and 3 shots a Stalker, also it's easier to finish a Gore with bodyshots once you decapped it. Husks and Sirens sure like to backtrack to create a meatwall for themselves. Also it takes 8 headshots from M4 and 6 headshots from AK to decap a 6p HoE Husk.

From my experience the difference is; when you hold the AK, you can take care of Husk and buncha trash together by going closer abit "without" reloading. Think about holding the church streets of Westlondon, in an open area you're a prey for Husk fire at long range.
When I try to approach Husk and trash with M4 in an open area, it requires me to change my fire mode constantly to deal with trash and reload at least once. When I have M4, I tend to run around and look for something to get atop of it to deal with Husk to be honest.

I don't know, I never bothered gettin' better with a tier2 rifle like M4, even I liked it and used it more than AK. In a choke point funnel scenario, where you shoot to one direction, none of these rifles have any superiority to each other.

Edit: I suppose M4's main purpose is softly decapping specimen and buying you reloading time, although it also gives opportunity to Demolitions or Supports to clear the stacked specimen behind headless ones via MGL blasts or piercing pellets. That plan doesn't really work well when you have a Firebad who kill all specimen at the front tho'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When given full perk bonus of level6; M4 hits 52 damage per shot and reloads ~0.45 second slower. As for trash handling, it takes 3 bodyshots for a Crawler (122 hp at Hell) and 4 bodyshots for a Stalker (175 hp at Hell).
AK reloads faster, hits 67 damage on a bodyshot and it 2 shots a Crawler and 3 shots a Stalker, also it's easier to finish a Gore with bodyshots once you decapped it. Husks and Sirens sure like to backtrack to create a meatwall for themselves. Also it takes 8 headshots from M4 and 6 headshots from AK to decap a 6p HoE Husk.

From my experience the difference is; when you hold the AK, you can take care of Husk and buncha trash together by going closer abit "without" reloading. Think about holding the church streets of Westlondon, in an open area you're a prey for Husk fire at long range.
When I try to approach Husk and trash with M4 in an open area, it requires me to change my fire mode constantly to deal with trash and reload at least once. When I have M4, I tend to run around and look for something to get atop of it to deal with Husk to be honest.

I don't know, I never bothered gettin' better with a tier2 rifle like M4, even I liked it and used it more than AK. In a choke point funnel scenario, where you shoot to one direction, none of these rifles have any superiority to each other.

Ah so the big disadvantage of M4 is the inconvenient reloads! Grrrr...

Upvote 0