• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Load times getting worser?

Helmut_AUT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
Recently, even on maps that used to load somewhat decent, I find myself now being the last to join a server. I didn't add or change anything on my system.

My maschine isn't bad - 1 Gig RAM, 3000+ AMD, 7200 RPM SATA Drive. 4Mbit Cable.

Seriously, if the next patch doesn't fix these load times, RO comes off my system. I can't stand anymore always ending up with the Bolt, even on indoor maps where it's totally useless.

If this sounds like I'm ranting - I am. I could live with the fact that on Odessa, Basovka, Kaukasus I only get to pick a bolt. But Stalingrad and Krasny...where I can get scores up to 150 points with a SMG...is a waste of my skill if I'm always forced to use a rifle.

Stauffenberg said:
is a waste of my skill if I'm always forced to use a rifle.

Maybe you lack the skill of using a rifle?

Let me make this clear: Give me an SMG on Krasny, and I can get the top server score, help with every single cap, and help my team win the map by being the first trough every door. You don't amass 150 points by not helping your team.

Force me to use a rifle and the team has one guy less who could potentially change the tide.

Give me a rifle on Basovka and I can do the same. That's a rifle map. It's not about "Rifle Skill".

But you don't clean indoor rooms on Krasny against PPsHs with a bolt.

It's an entirely artifical disadvantage for some players, even players with a decently modern system. I didn't pay 35 bucks to always be at a disadvantage online.

Upvote 0
Floyd said:
Apparently its all about your score? ;)

That would be the case if I was a score-whore just shooting around and not helping my team win. But this isn't what I meant.

When Krasny came up today, I told my friend on the same server "lets run em over" with the full intention to help my team to victory. I knew I could do that as I've done it regulary, just yesterday on DBDUK for example.

And then I got a Kar98 after an eternal load time and all the talent I have for that map went to hell because that particular map doesn't match with my playing style when using a rifle. You can't storm and clean a room full with two or three Avtomatchiks when using a bolt-action.

That is frustrating. Knowing I can have a great time and fight a close battle to victory for me and my team, with the right gear but somehow recently the maps load a lot slower and I end up with the leftovers.

I've become used to the fact that I'll never have a StG on Odessa (the worst so far), or that I'll never be a Sniper on any map. But now, even maps that used to load fast enough are becoming slow.

Add the fact that the offline mode from the extracted game files loads up two or three times as fast, so it's really not a lack of System Resources - it's just Steam and the new file system driver used for RO.

I didn't know Steam has it's own defrag option, that may be worth trying. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
If your offline load is faster than your online..my guess its either the server you play on, or something going wrong somewhere in your internet.

For the record, I never get anything but bolts in any of the maps I play...but thats fine cause I love bolts and never pick another class whenever I do get the chance (although sometimes I trade in my normal bolt-action for an mg or a sniper rifle if I find one off a dead body.)

If your good with a bolt, you might not be able to clear a room full of SMGers on Krasni, but you should certianly be able to get one (the raw accuracy and firepower of a Strelok/Schutze means that with decent reflexes you can get SMGers at close range, because you effectively get the "first shot.")

However, more importantly...Grenades are even better than SMGs in many of the situations you described, and often the best you can hope for is to use all of your grenades (note: not waste) before you yourself get grenaded, which makes your weapon slightly redudant. So you should still do alright as a Strelok.

Also, there is probably at least one person with an SMG on your team who is saying "Thank god I got the SMG, now I can do some help for my team. Good thing I didn't get a rifle, in which case I will be useless. I will help clear all the objectives, and prove I deserve the SMG over that poor Schutze by getting the highest score." And you would be that poor Schutze.

I guess I ranted a bit, but I don't buy into the "I deserve XXX class cause I pwn with it!" arguement. Its kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the reason you did great is not because you are great, but because the class is great (especially true for Sniper/MGer, and Commander on maps with Arty.) These three classes are vital, so I don't believe complete idiots should get them, since it really weakens the team. However, average and even below average players should definatly be just as entitled to these classes, even if the team suffers some (same for the SMG)

Upvote 0
[VFD]HH said:
Its kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the reason you did great is not because you are great, but because the class is great (especially true for Sniper/MGer, and Commander on maps with Arty.)

If that argument was true, then everyone with a SMG would do great on Krasny. This obviously isn't the case because I see lots of "Sto

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really sounds like being a problem with three possible causes:

A defect RAM-bar

To little virtual memory on your C:\ drive

badly fragmented HDDs (both C:\ and the drive you have RO isntalled on).

So my suggestions are: do a memtest, free up 2-5 Gig's on c:\ and defrag your harddisks.

And concering Krasnyi being a "SMG" map. Unless you load that long that both central and petrol yard are capped when you join, I can't see your point. And concerning the "room-clearing": just let one or two guys with an SMG go in before you, and you still can help your team as much as yoou did before ;)

Upvote 0
btw, don't defrag using windows defrag...

try to use "dirms". Make a search on google for dirms... it is a nice defrag tool (especially the command line one).

Also, the NTFS file sys is degrading performance if more than 75% of the disk/partition capacity is used.

btw, playing with an smg and killing 1000000000000 newbies doen't require too much skill ;P

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Really sounds like being a problem with three possible causes:

A defect RAM-bar

To little virtual memory on your C:\ drive

badly fragmented HDDs (both C:\ and the drive you have RO isntalled on).

I can do a mem-check, but wouldn't a defect RAM bar manifest itself in other games somehow too?`

I've got 40 gig free on C:\ and windows manages the file.

HD (only C: exsists) has been defraged only two or three months ago, and nothing major uninstalled/reinstalled since then.

Could be a fragmented SWAP file perhabs.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
I can do a mem-check, but wouldn't a defect RAM bar manifest itself in other games somehow too?`

I've got 40 gig free on C:\ and windows manages the file.

HD (only C: exsists) has been defraged only two or three months ago, and nothing major uninstalled/reinstalled since then.

Could be a fragmented SWAP file perhabs.

A windows HDD tends to fragment itself even when untouched ;) it's the way windows handles temporary files. If you defrag it more often, not only your system runs fatsre, but also the defragging takes less time, as it doesn't have much work to do ;)

And concerning the ram, it already happened that someone had a fdefect RAM bar and it only affected RO (allthough it manifested itself in causing crashes...) WOuldn't do any harm to check, anyways ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, I tried it with all precaching turned off as well. Doesn't change anything.

If you look at old threads where I complain about load times, we found out that by unpacking the game content from the .gcf files and playing the game "offline", I get two or three times as fast loads.

The main bottleneck is the unpacking of game content from the .gcf files during the map load. If the files are already extracted, then the maps load very fast - but I can't play online that way.

Upvote 0
Hmm.. I have an barton 2800+ with 1G Dual Chanel RAM (2225) and 7200 PATA 160G HDD with an 6800 128 AGp, 6M DSL.

So practically the same config like you or a litle bit worst and I have absolutelly no issues with RO or loading times. (I have also precache on)

You say that you have 1G ram. Good. What other BS applications are runing in the same time with RO? How many MB from 1G are available to RO? what is the Peak memory usage during RO?
If you have an antivirus program set it to not scan the steam/RO folder.
If you have an software firewall go get a hardware one :D

You can get this infos from taskmanager.

I have around 800M available when RO starts and peak is 1.2G

Last edited:
Upvote 0