• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Lighting build failed-Apparent Lightmass Crash

Catalavos

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I started doing some more work on my TE-LittleSaturn map today and I'm unable to build lighting because it seems that the Swarm Agent or lightmass is crashing. I get the "Destructable Not Lightmapped" error on every StaticMeshDestructable and the same goes for pretty much every other object in the map. All I have aadded to the map since it worked last are about a dozen BSP shapes and maybe 20 static meshes so it's not like very much has changed.

I've done some troubleshooting by verifying the tool cache, deleting the shader cache and replacing the Dominant Directional Light but that didn't help.

Another thing that has me thinking is that the un-brewed file size for this map seems un-realistically high (370,000 KB) and I'm wondering if that might have something to do with my problems. The brewed file size is right around 200,000 KB and file size after deleting the shader cache is 103,000 KB.

I will add that since all the changes to the cooking/brewing system the map's file size has been a moving target for what seems like no reason whatsoever. I could build-all 4 or 5 times in a row and get a different file size every time.

I would attach the log file but it's too big. Please PM me if you would be willing to take a look at it, I'd appreciate another set of eyes on this.

Thanks,
Catalavos

^^^ what Wolvy says ^^^^

In addition,

Yakov is over 500k, so I'd ay file size isn't crashing the light build. Lack of RAM will. 16 GB isn't enough to build Yakov, it tops out at 24GB used mem during a light build due to the file size.

If you are using intersected subtractive BSP brushes, they can cause serious map issues (something about sharing vertices the SDK doesn't like). Look at the paths (press "P" while in the editor). If you see blank spots or strange shelves, this means you have invisible BSP bleed. This will create phantom collisions and mess up the light build for static meshes/destructibles inside these zones.

BSP with a light map resolution set to "0" is also really bad. 8 or 16 usually is sufficient to give crisp shadows. For BSP, the lower the more resolution. Plus they need to be in powers of 2, just like textures (2,4,8,16,32,64,etc) default should be 32. If not, it may crash the light build as well.

Overlapping Decals also create lighting problems, and should be avoided.

Check the channels for your Dominant Directional Light. I think if the "dynamic" flag isn't checked, it won't light destructibles.

G'luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I just deleted the shader cache and .ini's per Wolverine's tip and trying a rebuild now. I really hope it's not a RAM issue. I've been fine with 12MB so far and can't think of any decent excuse for the wife as to why I need to buy more memory LOL!

For BSP shapes, etc... I have just been creating subtractive brushes without using the intersect feature and things seem to work just fine. Also, I haven't messed with the lightmap resolution at all so things should still be set to the default

One other thing that popped up while making this map was a warning that the file size exceeded 300 KB and should be split into 2 packages. Did you have this same message with Yakov, TWrecks? If so, how did you deal with it?

Upvote 0
One other thing that popped up while making this map was a warning that the file size exceeded 300 KB and should be split into 2 packages. Did you have this same message with Yakov, TWrecks? If so, how did you deal with it?

Ignore it. Doesn't mean a thing unless custom mappers can use supporting packages, which doesn't work well for server redirects and clients.

BTW, you can PM me the map if you still need help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking a look at my map, TWrecks! I'm happy that there's nothing wrong with it. Now to create a plan for buying more memory :D

Yeah, Good luck trying to explain that to the wife...pfff.:D

oh hun, so you see....I'm trying to build lighting on my map, but i don't have enough ram to do it. If the cat did't eat we'd be all good. Now I have no choice but to buy more ram......damn cat!:eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah, Good luck trying to explain that to the wife...pfff.:D

oh hun, so you see....I'm trying to build lighting on my map, but i don't have enough ram to do it. If the cat did't eat we'd be all good. Now I have no choice but to buy more ram......damn cat!:eek:

Go for the back massage, foot rub approach... just be careful if she gets used to it :p

Upvote 0