• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Latest Steam Screens "Hand Signals"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The figure lighting effects apparently don't self-shadow at the moment in regards to the orientation of this one soldier's face and his helmet, as his forehead is lighted under the helmet brim as if in direct sunlight.

No telling if this is an WIP issue or just a engine/programming limitation.
Well, other things have self shadowing. You can tell the Kar98k pouches are casting shadows. Also the head is casting a shadow on the upper body. It seems nothing is casting a shadow on any skin though. You can see this under the helmet as you mentioned, but also in the hand carrying the Kar98k. The wrist does not receive a shadow from the sleeve, and the fingers do not receive a shadow from the rifle.

Upvote 0
Our lighting, like many things is a WiP. This is the downside to giving you guys what you want in terms of media when we aren't done yet.

A simple fix for the head lighting is to simply re-render the texture with the helmet occluding the lighting, and just swap face textures when the helmet is gone.

Hope that's in the works already.

Upvote 0
I think it stills looks amazing. I know most people get spoiled by multi-million dollar title visuals, but this is Red Orchestra.

What they have managed so far is amazing, it at least is a huge step forward from Ostfront. And this is just a bunch of screenshots in work-in-progress state.

You are getting two big thumbs up here, keep up the good work!

EDIT: Oh btw, almost forgot: :IS2:

Reactions: Miro!
Upvote 0
the number one thing i judge games by is the gameplay.....i'm pretty certain ROHOS's gameplay will be as good and most likely 10x BETTER than ROOST's gameplay. sure having it look nice would be great, but i'm not one to be picky regarding textures, lighting etc.... i mean, look at the first HOS screenshots we got; they were better than ROOST. every new screenshot we get looks better than the last.

Upvote 0
id like to remember people that big budget games look as "good" as they do due to massive shader overuse. The actual textures models etc are not that good looking. RO is going for a realistic look(shockingly enough) and we all know that real life doesnt look like the latest BF.
So true! Just look at all of the Gears of War games and the latest Call of Duty titles and that proves it... hell even BFBC2 goes way overboard on post processing.

It would be nice to return to a time when games actually used high quality textures for a change and stopped giving us over-the-top bloom. It does nothing for realism and really detracts from the experience in games that are supposed to be somewhat realistic.

Upvote 0
Does it have to be? It looks great already. A game's atmosphere and the overall gameplay experience are much more important than graphics will ever be. It's not just the technical things (textures, polygons) that contribute to better looking graphics, attention to detail and realistic-looking maps are just as if not more important. I couldn't care less what the 'experts' think about RO's graphics if the game gives me an immersing WWII experience.
Yeah 08/15 standard blabla. :rolleyes: As I've replied before(that post + the post I replied to was deleted) everybody with an IQ 80+ should know that gameplay etc. are more important, but that alone does not give anyone the right to smash any discussion about the graphical quality itself down with that cheap arguement.

Of course nobody expected RO:HoS to be the new graphical reference, that was metaphorical, I only wanted to express that I would've expected the graphical advancement from Ostfront to HoS(judging by the screens) to be bigger. But as schneidzekk said it's still WIP and that's the downside of getting media at this point of development(though I doubt that graphics will improve much). And of course I have no doubts that in terms of art style / atmosphere HoS will be top notch as we're used to by TWI games.

But at the same time we should keep in mind that HoS does not have the 'former mod' excuse anymore and will most likely be a full-price game, so whether they want or not they'll have to compete in a different league now.

Especcially when looking at this this screenshot I have to say that it just looks kinda bland(building) and both ground textures as well as the grass doesn't really look up-to-date. There's 2008 games looking better than this and that worries me a bit since afaik TWI gets all the UE updates etc.

For any further discussion I'd suggest you take off your rose-coloured RO glasses first and stop acting like you had to defend HoS. I'll buy the game 120% and have no doubts that it will be extremely awesome, but criticism must be allowed especcially if it's valid as it is here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.