• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kotor on steam

Star Wars KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are the greatest games ever invented, to me they are the REAL prequals.

So for thousands of years the technology in the Star Wars universe has stagnated the entire time? That why we get lightsabres in KOTR (thousands of years before Old Republic) and lightsabres in Return of the Jedi? And spacestations in between? Perhaps I don't understand the universe, actually I don't besides the first three movies. Just a thought that I had.

For the most part Star Wars is not about technollogy, its not like Star Trek where a large part of the stories are about the tech, in Star Wars its just there to get you from point A to point B, not about technical realism, think of it like Medieval times mixed with the Wild West mixed with WW2 in space.

In terms of technology, I suppose it does stagnate. Space travel and hyperspace seems to have been around for a very long time in the Star Wars universe, so most technological progress seems to have been merely improving on ancient technology rather than innovating. The major advancement in Star Wars would probably be navigation, since discovering hyperspace routes is done by hit or miss. The known galaxy is much larger during the era of the Empire than the era of KOTOR.

I don't think lightsabers should represent the growth of technology in the Star Wars universe though. The prequels screwed everything up. In fact, I like to completely disregard them and continue to look at the Star Wars universe from before they were released. Lightsabers have always been known to be an ancient weapon, and it makes sense that they would be in abundance during the period of KOTOR. Throughout the three original movies though, we only see three different lightsabers. Yoda and Emperor Palpatine never even show or have theirs, which in a way proves that they are no longer important.

But in the prequels, which only take place about 30-40 years before the events of "A New Hope", there are thousands of lightsabers in use. Many speculate that George Lucas did that in attempt to make a purely visual show and ended up in dumbing down the meaning of a lightsaber, which in the dying days of the Republic were supposed to be more of a status item than a weapon. The whole visual style of the prequels imply that the days of the Old Republic were more advanced than the days of the Empire, but I think that's a result of George Lucas and the new technologies of film-making.

The technology and style of KOTOR would have been more fitting for the prequels, it reflects the "civilized age" that Obi-Wan refers to without looking too advanced in comparison to the era of the Galactic Civil War. KOTOR should look even "older", but it did a good job of portraying how the universe would be during that time period.

Lucas just wanted more action, the reason the original trilogy didn't revolve around action as much as because it actually had a story.

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, I almost fell asleep during Episode 1. Waiting for the end to come. That never happened while I was watching the original trilogy. I don't remember a lot of action from it...I don't remember much from it though, since I didn't enjoy it.

I've tried watching Star Wars movies several times, but i never could keep awake, and always fell asleep :eek: dont know how or why, but it's like becoming a rule.

Upvote 0
This thread is evil. It made me go back and start a whole new character again.

But I just can't be evil in these Star Wars games. When the option comes to kill some nice old lady instead of give her a cookie, I always give her a cookie. Anyone here do an entirely evil character?
I tried the evil ending once. Got bored on the planet right before the last mission and ...
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0