• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation King Tiger - WIP

Before spending much more time on it, though, you had better ask yourself where the animations, sounds and coding are going to come from because without those you are just pi55ing in the wind and a lot of the people on this thread will be disappointed.

I can learn how to do camera animations. (IE: Changing from inside driver view to outside.)

Sounds are not a problem, modify current ones or find others, not hard either way.

Coding is not really a problem since I have modified Tiger I code. I just need to change collision mesh and models, rename a few shortcuts to files etc. I have friends that do coding so they may just give a helping hand in some situations. So far I have changed:

Turret transverse speed.
Reload speed.
Acceleration (WIP).

unless someone is going to release a JS III

That never saw combat iirc.

I try to be self-sufficient in all areas.

Upvote 0
If you think the current stock armor is balanced you're either an idiot or you've never played in a German tank. :rolleyes:

If you've ever played Orel-88vs76 that is exactly how a map with a KT will be.

I only play as a tanker predominately on servers running the Armored Beast mut by Amaizur, (like RGN) which I believe "balances" the load outs pretty well. I prefer to play Orel 1 myself, not 88's vs 76's. Latley been playing Orel of Gentlemen (from a German server) which is not bad either imo with the mut. From your posts on the mut you of all people should understand that right? Again just my opinion. Oh by the way we (Nestor and myself) were both being sarcastic in regards to "balance" on the maps I believe. Please reread my post my friend if your "idiot" comment was directed at me, which I believe it was. Never stated I thought current stock armor is balanced

Last edited:
Upvote 0
{JS-3}
That never saw combat iirc.

My bad, of course JS -3 not seen until allied victory parade in Berlin in 45'. :eek: Meant ISU-152, SU-122 for RO maps. Not knocking your work, quite the contrary. My point being before your King is placed on the maps be nice to see something comprable for the allies, or imo going to be hard for balanced / fair game play for most. Keep up the good work, your mod is looking very good and you obviously know what / how to get it done. :D

Upvote 0
My bad, of course JS -3 not seen until allied victory parade in Berlin in 45'. :eek: Meant ISU-152, SU-122 for RO maps. Not knocking your work, quite the contrary. My point being before your King is placed on the maps be nice to see something comprable for the allies, or imo going to be hard for balanced / fair game play for most. Keep up the good work, your mod is looking very good and you obviously know what / how to get it done. :D

Well maybe KT would be best suited on maps made for high player count servers like the 64 player servers that should come in as an update soon.

Possibly a mutator could partition the teams.

Ratio of 1:3 (German:Russian).

Upvote 0
Main problem with the whole tank game thing is that face to face, Russian side got owned the crap out of.
Russians had SU-152, ISU-152, ISU-100. Germans had better refinement & quality & craftmanship in their equipment in general but that's not what's most important in war. What's most important is who can produce an effective weapon for the cheapest not who can make the most advanced & cool and expensive machine. Russians were smart because they didn't "overkill" when they made something. They used just enough resources to make something that worked without wasting resources on making sure something was "Grade A collector quality detail". It's cool that you are making the King Tiger though, alot of people have been salivating for it for a long time and it will make alot of German tankers happy. I just had to point out that Uber tech has a huge upside but also a huge downside as well.

Upvote 0
If the SU-152 was added for the Russians the Germans would NOT be happy. Russians had stuff that could tear German tanks "a new one" but they aren't in the game... Russians are missing much of their best equipment, I don't know why either.
why would they Not be happy i only like German tanks but i love the su152 in the game:) it will always be hard to kill new tanks at first, but you soon learn how to deal with them :p also get the su100 its better loads faster and has a good gun

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:D If the SU-152 was added for the Russians the Germans would NOT be happy. Russians had stuff that could tear German tanks "a new one" but they aren't in the game... Russians are missing much of their best equipment, I don't know why either.
JSU-152 isn't that good. JSU-122 performs better, penetration wise.

Tiger II will shred both anyways lol.

Maybe a bigger version of Ogledow would be good, since there was a big Tiger II presence.

Upvote 0

Yes Tiger2 will "shred" them anyways IF he hits them first. If it's the other way around though Tiger 2 might be the one feeling slightly ill. A 107 pound AP projectile coming at you at 655 meters per second might "leave a mark". There is an account of a SU-152 blowing the **** out of a Panther on a frontal shot. It could also destroy the original Tiger. Against the Tiger 2 it's theoretical since there are no known accounts of an SU-152 or ISU-152 firing on a Tiger 2.

Upvote 0
Yes Tiger2 will "shred" them anyways IF he hits them first. If it's the other way around though Tiger 2 might be the one feeling slightly ill. A 107 pound AP projectile coming at you at 655 meters per second might "leave a mark". There is an account of a SU-152 blowing the **** out of a Panther on a frontal shot. It could also destroy the original Tiger. Against the Tiger 2 it's theoretical since there are no known accounts of an SU-152 or ISU-152 firing on a Tiger 2.

Frontal armour of Tiger 2 vs. Panther/Tiger 1 is a poor comparison.

JS2 could penetrate a Panthers front glacis and hit the rear plate. Tiger I's armour is even less than that of the Panther.

Upvote 0
Frontal armour of Tiger 2 vs. Panther/Tiger 1 is a poor comparison.

JS2 could penetrate a Panthers front glacis and hit the rear plate. Tiger I's armour is even less than that of the Panther.
Maybe a poor comparison. The King Tiger had what 150mm of frontal armor @ 50 degrees? I tend to believe that the SU-152 gun is more like a hammer (caves stuff in) when it hits than a standard penetrator though. I have no proof of what it would do to a King Tiger though.

Upvote 0

Maybe a bigger version of Ogledow would be good, since there was a big Tiger II presence.

Ogledow also proved the fallacy of the King Tiger being invincible!

A single T-34/85 took out 3 Kings, read below about

Lt. Aleksander P. Oskin of the 53rd Guards Fastov Tank Brigade, when he and his crew in their single T-34/85 attacked and destroyed 3 King Tigers near the Polish village of Ogledow on the 12th of August 1944:

The PzKpfwVIB KingTiger's debut at Eastern front

In August 1944, alone Soviet T-34/85 supported by SMG platoon, held defensive positions near the village of Ogledow, Poland. Meanwhile, sPzAbt501 tank unit had just gotten 45 brand new heavy tanks PzKpfwVIB King Tigers. During a 50km march 37 (!) of them were immobilized due mechanical breakdowns. On August 10th, the remaining KingTigers (8) reached Ogledow. The next morning three KingTigers started to attack a bridge over the Vislula river. 53rd Gds. Lt. A. Oskin (the commander of the Soviet tank) spotted the unfamiliar-looking German tanks on the road. The T-34/85 was extremely well camouflaged, so Lt. A. Oskin decided to wait a little while. When the Germans reached a distance just less than 200m, the Soviets opened fire with APDS and regular AP rounds hoping to penetrate the side armor. One of the King Tigers was flamed by three hits, and the other Germans couldn't spot where the fire had came from. Another PzKpfwVIB took three hits, but its thick armor was not penetrated. The 4th round impacted precisely under the turret, and the King Tiger exploded.
pz6bdead.jpg

The last King Tiger tried to run, but it was impossible. The T-34 fired smoke rounds, then it maneuvered to intercept and finally killed him.

The result: 11 men of German crews were killed, 1 was captured by Soviet SMG platoon; two King Tigers were totally destroyed, and the last one was repaired and moved to Soviet Polygon Kubinka (where it was examined/inspected).
The Germans reported "strong Russian anti-tank defense, which were impossible to penetrate by the existing forces."
Later on, 3 more PzKpfwVIB King Tigers were captured in Ogledow.

t34oskin.jpg

53rd Guards Fastov Tank Brigade's Lt. A. Oskin was awarded the Gold Star of the Hero of Soviet Union, the other crew members (including his excellent gunner Sargent Abubakir Merkhaydarov and the loader A. Khalyshev) were awarded with Orders for their actions on August 10, 1944 near Olgeldow.

Good tactics and a good crew can over come many shortcomings in equipment imo!

Here is the link if you are interested:

http://wio.ru/tank/ww2tank.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a poor comparison. The King Tiger had what 150mm of frontal armor @ 50 degrees? I tend to believe that the SU-152 gun is more like a hammer (caves stuff in) when it hits than a standard penetrator though. I have no proof of what it would do to a King Tiger though.

Thats the main problem with dealing in steel mm, best is to stick to RHA(e) but I haven't found any real WW2 RHA(e) data, but ISU-152 will not penetrate a KT's front armour on paper and never did throughout the ending year(s) of the war.

You mean APCR right? APDS is a British shell iirc.

precisely under the turret
A Porche turret? (That has a shot-trap.)

I think this example of Tiger II getting owned by little tanks would be a great to shut noobs up that moan about balance, with skill you can overcome Goliath :D

Also the ammo in the turret will make it easier for kills but thats if you can reach it :p

What places (battles) did Tiger II really let **** hit the fan?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You mean APCR right? APDS is a British shell iirc.

A Porche turret? (That has a shot-trap.)

I think this example of Tiger II getting owned by little tanks would be a great to shut noobs up that moan about balance, with skill you can overcome Goliath :D

I would assume the rounds were APCR, looses something in translation from Russian/German to English. From the picture it appears to be a Henschell model, but the picture shows the tank burning, so hard to say for sure? I would think this David was the exception and far more likely that Goliath would win the battle. Of course the T-34/85 was well camouflaged and the range was 200 meters, so given those circumstances not unlikely for the Giant to loose more often than not. Fortune often favors the Brave.

Last edited:
Upvote 0