• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor to Xbox360

Take Call Of Duty for example. I know that I'm about to be raped for saying this, but COD 4's Multiplayer was revolutionary. It was amazing, the servers were good, it was fun to play, there was always a server that would have what you want, the community wasn't terrible, the levelling was fun and there wasn't any prestige rubbish.

This game was designed to be made for the PC; consoles were an after thought.

Not lets look at COD6. :mad: This was intended for console and PC was an afterthought. The server system is the worst I've ever used, the (sorry for this, but it's true) noobs were terrible and numerous, the prestige meant nothing because everyone hacked it anyway and the server system was shocking. I know I mentioned the server system twice, but it actually makes you not want to play the game. No dedicated servers, massive ping is normal, random hosts are selected and whenever I become host, I am pressured to leave the server because of one or two people lagging. It is crap, simple as that.

This seems like a rant, and it partially is. But what I'm really trying to stress is that companies seem to be more and more often transferring their effort to consoles and leaving PC's to become... well extinct and outdated I guess. It doesn't seem to matter that PC will always have the greater flexibility and superior technology, it just happens to be that way... :(

So, in conclusion, I beg you Tripwire, join with EPIC games (Unreal Tournament series) and ID software (DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein), make sure PC gamers don't get left in the dark. :eek:

Upvote 0
Take Call Of Duty for example. I know that I'm about to be raped for saying this, but COD 4's Multiplayer was revolutionary. It was amazing, the servers were good, it was fun to play, there was always a server that would have what you want, the community wasn't terrible, the levelling was fun and there wasn't any prestige rubbish.

Doesn't seem very 'revolutionary' if the server technology wasn't massivly implemented and furthed the online capabilities of any of their own title releases, their companies title releases, let alone any other FPS'. Things that are truely revolutionary are things like Doom's LAN gameplay, Battle.net for Diablo and (heck I dunno, i'm bad at this stuff). Looks more like they just dumped alot more money into having more servers, providing lower ping options for everyone. (This is all just me blowing wind but do correct me, i'de like to hear exactly _why_ it was revolutionary)

This thread aint about Cawwa Dooty though.

I'de say it isn't worth the effort, money and time just so hardcore xbox360/ps3 players could have a good game. I could see a few being for the game but spend more time playing BlOps or some new shooter simply because they'de generate more hits and get more money money moneey~.

Not to mention, server upkeep, how server hosting would work, etc.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.. perhaps revolutionary wasn't the right word, but it is an example of something that should have been revolutionary. It doesn't make much sense to make sometging so perect and then make a sequel that is absolute garbage.

And the idea is not to bring Call Of Duty into discussion, it is to show an example of something that was good when PC was in mind that went terrible when console became the main focus.

And that's exactly why I amde the statement "I know that I'm about to be raped for saying this", because I knew that someone was just going to go "Oh look, Call Of Duty. Ga huh, this isn't meant to be about that". It's and example.:rolleyes:

Read into the issue.

And by the way, the VP of Tripwire about 6 posts ago pretty much said that "time and money" wasn't really an excuse, which seemed to be your conclusion.

Upvote 0

This game was designed to be made for the PC; consoles were an after thought.

With respect, bollocks.

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
... Could you please explain why?

And also, why is it that everyone is going straight for the fact that i've mentioned COD, and not for the actual arguement?! :confused:

I really don't bloody get it...

I'm not having a go at anyone but seriuosly, when you make a comment like that, generally back up why your opinion is as it is. AND try to stay on topic for god sake, again, it was just an example... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
lets just put it this way, if they start developing on console now, you will see the quality of their games go downhill on PC and be average on console, it's just that developing a game for console is VASTLY different than PC, they are not only different platforms but different gaming styles, and then theirs the community, on xbox it doesn't haev any custom content, and if it does, it was because someone made it on PC. unless you make a map editor, which are usually sub par on consoles.

so long story short, TWI games are suited to PC and would universally suck on console and overall degrade the quality of the work.

Upvote 0
Good diagram... Only question is how do you interact with doors and other objects that require 'e' (normally on the keyboard? (if it was covered later in that thread, sorry, dind't read more than 5 posts in.)

It was covered later, Hadn't really decided on a solution, but the best i could see was to have X dual binded to be reload and open/close doors. :)

Upvote 0
Make the Use button the Open/Close trader menu button.

You never need to use an item to get into a trader area or in a trader area, and you never need to open the trader menu outside of the trader shop.

Also, i'm no Console FPS Pro but wouldn't switching weapons be easier handeled by having the weapons set to one button (Left bumper) and making it so, looking in a direction while holding it will select it? (BF2/2142 Style Command Window)

That way you can instantly switch from Welder to Slot 3 instantly and free up another button, which could use the same style system for voice commands or something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: CandleJack
Upvote 0
It's difficult to predict what would occur if TWI were to release a console version of KF.

Reasons regarding console port failure... the transition of CoD4:MW to CoD: MW2 is a very good example. It highlights exactly how to alienate an entire segment of gamers (PC gamers) who were vital to the game's success.

IW, likely at the behest of Activision, removed dedicated server support for the PC version of MW2. This destroyed community contributions such as custom maps, game modes, skins... It set a dangerous precedent which is responsible for the watered-down experiences, as console titles make more money than PC versions. Absurd things like automatic matchmaking and in-game aim assist (that CANNOT be disabled) are just two of my own gripes. In Activision's perfect world, you'll play their game on their servers, and you will play the game in the style THEY impose upon you. Rubbish.

That being said, TWI is no Activision or IW (before you flame, that's a compliment). I believe if they were to release a console game in the KF universe, it'll compliment KF, but not compete with it. Cross-platform gaming... Not so sure with that bit. The only cross-platform FPS I've any experience with is Shadowrun. The general sentiment is that in a mixed-platform match, the contributions of the console players are "marginal," at best.

Upvote 0
The key with going to consoles is that you shouldn't try to make every version exactly the same as the pc. And basically utilize the strengths of every platform.

The games will then be slightly different perhaps even in stuff like weapon handling map size whatever. But you can make 3 good games. Heck pc gamers might end up getting the console version as well just to see how it differs :p.

Upvote 0
Not lets look at COD6. :mad: This was intended for console and PC was an afterthought. The server system is the worst I've ever used, the (sorry for this, but it's true) noobs were terrible and numerous, the prestige meant nothing because everyone hacked it anyway and the server system was shocking. I know I mentioned the server system twice, but it actually makes you not want to play the game.

I played to lvl 19 in MW2, and quit, mainly due to the massive lag. Tons of skilless weapons didn't help either. Run into a guy wielding dual glocks and they just stood there, holding down both buttons and spraying in your general direction to kill you. The shotgun sniping thing was lame as well. It was actually kind of fun when it wasn't laggy, but this was few and far between. The instakill knife would have been fine, if they hadn't been able to stab you from 20 feet away. It would have been perfect as a 2 hit kill.

As far as console porting goes, console games are usually much easier and have to have auto aim. I have been playing PC games for a little over 20 years, and when I was in the Army, I got into playing Halo on the xbox. The people that were considered great players were rubbish compared to PC gamers. Once I got the hang of the controller, not one person that played against me beat me, in 3 months, playing with 50 different people. When I got out of my medic training, people in my unit played some as well. I had to have 15 beers before any one of them stood a chance. I am not bragging on my skills, merely stating that console games are generally easier, and you don't need absolutely precise aim like a PC. There are console games I enjoy playing, but I just like a mouse and keyboard much better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know you can turn off auto aim in most FPS' right?

I have CoD4 and WaW on 360 and always play with it off. Much more fun and challenging.

It is true that auto-aim/aim-assist can be disabled in Single Player. The game "snaps" your reticule onto the enemy whenever you ADS.

However, in multiplayer, there is an ever-present aim-assist which does not appear in options, and cannot be disabled. If an enemy is near the center of your reticule, the game will subtly track the player's movement. It is kind of ridiculous on maps like Wasteland, as the tracking is accurate even through smoke and fog.

Upvote 0