• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing floor made into a xbox 360 game

unreal technology game engine, in which many of my xbox 360 games are made from

There's roughly 5 UE2.5 games on X360. 4 of them are from Ubisoft and use a proprietary engine called LEAD which is based off their proprietary Chaos Theory Engine which is a heavily modified UE2.5. It's far more common to see a UE3 game on X360, which KF doesn't use.

Upvote 0
You playing the game on Xbox would totally ruin my experience playing it on the computer.

It's just like how, when someone, puts too much sugar (for my taste) in their coffee. It totally ruins my ability to enjoy my own coffee.

It's more like somebody using up all the sugar and then having to wait to get your share. Putting it on console means that Tripwire has to develop their free DLC and patches on multiple platforms. Tripwire is a small company and free DLC is a staple business practice for them. Do you really want watered down DLC that takes much longer to to deliver? That's exactly what we'd get if it was on consoles. They can't even give free DLC if they put the game on Xbox. Microsoft would force them to charge console customers for any DLC additions, and their certification process for patches can take weeks to a month.

If Tripwire ever started to release games on console those on the PC would suffer for it. This is not arguable.

Upvote 0
It's more like somebody using up all the sugar and then having to wait to get your share. Putting it on console means that Tripwire has to develop their free DLC and patches on multiple platforms. Tripwire is a small company and free DLC is a staple business practice for them. Do you really want watered down DLC that takes much longer to to deliver? That's exactly what we'd get if it was on consoles. They can't even give free DLC if they put the game on Xbox. Microsoft would force them to charge console customers for any DLC additions, and their certification process for patches can take weeks to a month.

If Tripwire ever started to release games on console those on the PC would suffer for it. This is not arguable.

And on top of that i've heard that a console patch costs somewhere in the area of $40,000 each.

I'm not sure if that's all patches or for a specific game, but if it's for all games and patches then expect to have the console release version of KF for a long time.

Upvote 0
Also, patches on a console, am I the only person that thinks that the equivalent of finding a turd on your bed?

I don't play my 360 becuase everytime I turn it on it's "update!" or insert a disk "update!". Sod off, I bought you because I didn't want to deal with that crap, I wanted to throw a disk in and play. I'll go back to my Playstation and Gamecube, better games on there anyway...

Upvote 0
Actually, me and members from DevHigh are thinking about releasing an Arcade 2D sidescroller version of KF that is going to be ported to the XBox. This, and a possible online-ready version for the PC. You can find a screenshot inside the 2D art section, that is our first mockup and you can expect more soon.

Upvote 0

Well, that's the thing. If the argument is "Don't divert PC resources to console, because that'd harm the PC side", then I can understand. It's a legitimate concern. However, I've seen too many arguments that are just "Console sucks, and console players are inferior, so don't deserve our game".

If it did mean that time and energy was taken away from keeping up the PC version, I can understand that, though I can see it as a positive for PC players. More people playing means more money for Tripwire, and they could devote more time to keeping up the PC, as well as console. Honestly, though, I don't know what would happen if it was ported, though plenty of other games I play have been ported, and it hasn't negatively affected my enjoyment. Though, if Microsoft did force them to change practices, I'd say to stick to PC. If they can do it their way, get the extra money from Xbox customers, and put that into improving the game overall for everyone, I'd be all for it.

I do all my gaming on my MacBook Pro, since my consoles are all back home, and I haven't bought a new console after Game Cube, so I don't really have a personal interest in playing on the Xbox, but want to make sure the reasons are based on more than console hate. Microsoft forcing TWI into business practices that would hurt the PC side, however, is a good point.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people are saying "If it came out for console it would ruin my PC experience!" How would it even remotely effect you? It's not like you would be forced to switch. It wouldn't ruin the experience. Having it for console would make the experience greater for people who can't afford a good laptop to play it but can afford a console.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why people are saying "If it came out for console it would ruin my PC experience!" How would it even remotely effect you? It's not like you would be forced to switch. It wouldn't ruin the experience. Having it for console would make the experience greater for people who can't afford a good laptop to play it but can afford a console.

A reasonable but narrow-minded argument. Tripwire would have to pay a hefty fee for console updates and then you would need people port PC code into XBOX code, then you get console fever and outcries for PS3 ports would happen, then you get the console-calypse. Tripwire's quality would turn from wine to crap because of this strain. Yeah, not a pretty thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ITT:
2445038-4694434071-PC_Ga.jpg

The only true obstacle to this is money, both going out and coming in.

An Xbox version wouldn't have constant updates (if any after the initial).
A PS3 version wouldn't have such an update limitation.

If TWI couldn't do the porting themselves, they could do again what they did for the gold edition - allow another company to do it.

Ultimately, the biggest issue is money coming back in because of the current state of the market. Killing Floor (and this is just my opinion) would not sell well on Xbox (not to say it wouldn't turn a slight profit) and it would probably bomb on PS3.

Upvote 0
ITT:
2445038-4694434071-PC_Ga.jpg

The only true obstacle to this is money, both going out and coming in.

An Xbox version wouldn't have constant updates (if any after the initial).
A PS3 version wouldn't have such an update limitation.

If TWI couldn't do the porting themselves, they could do again what they did for the gold edition - allow another company to do it.

Ultimately, the biggest issue is money coming back in because of the current state of the market. Killing Floor (and this is just my opinion) would not sell well on Xbox (not to say it wouldn't turn a slight profit) and it would probably bomb on PS3.

ROFL, that picture make me laugh good Arblarg.

Upvote 0
i disagree on that point. if KF was released as an xbla game it has potential to do fairly well.

i think it's too fast paced to work well on the console so it would have to be a different experience than the pc version. but console money helps pay for sequels if torchlight is any indicator.

minecraft xbla is also doing quite well

anyone wanting TWI to grow as a developer should want this. consoles mean bigger revenue potential. thats 77million machines out there that will be able to play the game as it was designed it's success would boil down to how much people like the game, not if their computer will run it.

the xbla version may need porting to Ue3 to work and in doing so may actually leapfrog a similar update to killing floor pc in the form of a sequel or update

Upvote 0
Also, patches on a console, am I the only person that thinks that the equivalent of finding a turd on your bed?

I don't play my 360 becuase everytime I turn it on it's "update!" or insert a disk "update!". Sod off, I bought you because I didn't want to deal with that crap, I wanted to throw a disk in and play. I'll go back to my Playstation and Gamecube, better games on there anyway...
Wow, true words.

You've got the new ouya title as linked in another thread, close enough.

Upvote 0