• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor lost its "Umph" quite quickly

It's pretty hard to create an AI that offers an unpredictable gaming experience every time.

Honestly I think the game would be better off if the wave composition was completely random. As it is, once you play enough games with the same number of players, you know exactly what to expect from each wave. With 2 players, I know the Scrakes are going to start showing up on wave 6, and I know that fleshpounds are going to start showing up on wave 7, every time I play. That's where the predictable nature comes into play.

IMO the best thing Tripwire could do is allow perks and perk progress on sandbox mode. Sandbox is really ideal for curing the predictability because you can set up the waves any way you like. I did a 2 player game on Farm with over 200 enemies on the first wave, and it works wonders for bringing the suspense and "OMGRUNRUNRUN" feel back into the game. We ran out of ammo with something like 120 enemies left, and from then on it was a mad dash from house to house, scrambling for whatever ammunition or weapons we could find.

As it is, sandbox is almost totally pointless because everyone wants to play with their perks.

Upvote 0
Just play Suicidal. It gets ridiculous.

Anyways, I kind of agree on this. The enemies need more variety in their attacks and strategies.

I was thinking of having crawlers jump range increased. And if anyones ever seen Natural Selection, give the crawlers a web spinning ability that slows down your team if crossed.

Scrakes definately need a fleshpound like rage attack. They also need a definite rage meter upgrade to where enraging them isn't emptying two to three clips.

The number one thing they need to fix is the clot-grab situation. Currently everyone is a level 3 Beserker and can simply run a TD, Tecmo Bowl 1987-style.

TOUCHDOWN!!

THURMAN THOMAS.

Upvote 0
As it is, sandbox is almost totally pointless because everyone wants to play with their perks.

Considering people can just use grinding maps, yeah, I don't see the harm in letting people use and level up perks in sandbox mode.

I'm sure the reason it isn't allowed in sandbox is so people couldn't be cheesy and just grind their perks, but custom maps already allow this, so I see no purpose in it now.

Upvote 0
It's pretty hard to create an AI that offers an unpredictable gaming experience every time.

Honestly I think the game would be better off if the wave composition was completely random. As it is, once you play enough games with the same number of players, you know exactly what to expect from each wave. With 2 players, I know the Scrakes are going to start showing up on wave 6, and I know that fleshpounds are going to start showing up on wave 7, every time I play. That's where the predictable nature comes into play.

IMO the best thing Tripwire could do is allow perks and perk progress on sandbox mode. Sandbox is really ideal for curing the predictability because you can set up the waves any way you like. I did a 2 player game on Farm with over 200 enemies on the first wave, and it works wonders for bringing the suspense and "OMGRUNRUNRUN" feel back into the game. We ran out of ammo with something like 120 enemies left, and from then on it was a mad dash from house to house, scrambling for whatever ammunition or weapons we could find.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=32921
This is a suggestion I posted few days ago :p

So I'm with you on this one, I really don't see why do waves need to follow this default pattern.
Sure it's cool at first, you can feel the power of waves increasing, new monsters appearing and their number increasing, but since that is the ONLY playing mode in the game, it does get quite repetitive.

Randomizing the waves would be fairly simple IMO and it would refresh the game and replayability values by A LOT

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been said, but these are not intelligent creatures we are fighting (or at least I think so). They just want to tear your head off and eat the rest. Same with zombies, they don't have the mental capacity of a U.S. Marine and therefore will not pull any flanking manuever, just come straight at you. I think a lot of you are expecting more out of pretty much mindless beasts.

Upvote 0
I still enjoy the game, like every game it has some downsides, but it's still fun. Each time I log into a server I meet new people and learn a lot about them from the way they play. I've met people on here who could very well be (or are) military, and I've met people who should never pick up a gun in real life. The different people I meet each game adds to the color of the game, and adds to the enjoyment.

As for the repetitiveness, the levels are boring and there's not a lot of challenge excluding the patriarch, but there's always new ways to add to the challenge. For instance, try a round of what you find is all you get, no trader. There's a mutator for this, but I've not found a server yet who uses it. Problem with a lot of people is that they follow a game at its original design until they get bored, then they go do something else. Try looking for ways to make it challenging rather then expecting someone else to make it that way for you ;)

I agree, the ai sucks... it's too easy to kite the specimens around and take them out one at a time. Fact is though, the stupidity of the specimens is one of the things I enjoy. I find it fun having a bunch of clots bundled up for my grenades. It also adds to the realism, since most of the legends surrounding zombies depict them as slow moving mindless eating machines the fact that this is how tripwire depicts them just makes it feel right. Maybe instead of making the specimens smarter, it's time to start adding some newer models. After all, the patriarch is a scientist, wouldn't it be his goal to make his creations better over time?

Upvote 0
Tripwire has already given us everything we need to keep the game interesting. For all those who think it is boring or stale, open up the SDK and start putting out some new content. Make a map with 120 Flesh Pounds in the first wave. Look at all the l4d fans that can't get enough of the new survival mode, same amount and types of zombies, coming at you at timed intervals, knowing you will die, but tring to hold out as long as possible. And they act the same every time as well. If you play any game long enough you will know when and where things are going to happen. That's what makes it a game. Other wise it would be called life!

Upvote 0
well if they would fix the perks i'd play way more
normal is too easy with any perk atm
hard on a public server is (for me at last) only playable with my support lvl5, because the team normally sucks, but playing support is just booring

Yeah, the upper difficulties are near-unplayable as much besides high level Support or Medic perks. In particular, the Commando and Sharpshooter don't stand much of a chance on Suicidal, due to pathetic damage...

On the other points:
Randomizing a wave WITHIN CERTAIN LIMITS would be cool. If there was a chance of a Fleshpound appearing on Wave 3, it'd add variety. But if it could appear on Wave 1, when everyone is toting pistols? No...gotta have some limits...

Specimens shouldn't be any smarter than they are. Not only would it lag severs bad with so much AI for so many critters...it just wouldn't fit. As a total newbie to survive through normal and see how he does with 'kiting'. As much as people criticize kiting, it takes skill, especially on higher difficulties, or doing it as a team!

All the game really needs right now is a few more maps and a few balance tweaks.

Upvote 0
It's not like somebody grinding their perks up to 5 in sandbox mode has a detrimental effect on anyone's gameplay either.

Actually you can tell who actually used grind maps, and who didn't.

When see someone flip out and be like HOLY **** COLORFUL LIGHTS! SHOOT IT! It's fairly easy to ignore a flesh pound and just let it burnout, but no some jack *** commando always wants to save the day!

@Nanostrike: If you cant kill an FP with your pistol you're bad.
@People who don't kite: You're bad!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It also adds to the realism, since most of the legends surrounding zombies depict them as slow moving mindless eating machines the fact that this is how tripwire depicts them just makes it feel right.

Except they're not zombies. They're obviously not particularly brilliant, but they may have an animal-level cunning and even animals can be sneaky and evasive. I mean, many of them can talk, so they must have some level of intelligence. They're not people with rotting brains and muscle--they're biological genetic experiments, so there's no particular requirement for them to be mindless.

I agree that there needs to be more surprises in the game. It is too easy to kite the specimens. I often see one person survive almost a whole wave by themselves after their teammates die just by constantly backing away and shooting.

I'm not bored of the game yet, though. In fact, I'm running my own KF server and working on a new map for it and I still play it of course.

Upvote 0
You guys might say that it already lost it's touch but pay more attention to whats going on. After a RETAIL release and a couple of updates I'm sure their staff will of taken a break. Also...

Several of the TWI guys took a well needed vacation/break after the first two KF updates were released. I actually just got back from Disneyworld ;) Other than that, we're working on cool new stuff we can't talk about yet but that will likely make you all happy :)

Upvote 0