• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Killing floor in SUPER small window?

Sgt TastyWheat

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
So I am getting the ever popular launch problem that everyone else is getting. But every once in a while I manage to launch killing floor. Only problem? The resolution is about 10x7p. I mean that literally, it pops up as a very very very small box on my desktop, so small i can barley make out the tripwire logo in the splash art at the start up. I can't do anything or even click on most things as they are too small for me to see. Anyone else having this problem?

I've already done a few things:
run a bunch of scans and tests on my computer. Everything fine, I can play other games on steam fine. I reset steam. I logged off. Reset computer, rebooted steam, verified came cache, uninstalled, re-installed, tried offline mode on steam, tried online mode on steam, played with projector settigns ect ect ect.

The weirdest part is this only SOMETIMES happens. other times the game just goes to bug splat.

sorry for interjecting but could you try something?

Could you try going to "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Config", copy and rename a file called KFSystemSettings (for backup) and then edit the original?

Starting from the top find "Fullscreen" and set it to False, then "ResX" to 1024 and "ResY" to 768. A little bit below you will also find a parameter called "Borderless", set it to false. Save the file, close notepad then try launching the game again.

if nothing changes you just delete the file you edited and rename the copy you made to "KFSystemSettings".

Upvote 0
Launch and wait. Sometimes on the first launch it takes minutes and minutes to set up all of your materials / shaders. Be patient. After the first one, it starts fast.
To confirm the diagnosis, open task manager, then launch. See if you get processes for some unreal thingie running - like 5 or 6 copies. If so, just wait.

Upvote 0
Okay I have uploaded a video of my issue. Now i can finally get the game full screened, only problem is... the resolution from when it was really really tiny is still an issue. I have no idea what is causing this. I have followed the tripwire steam thread on problems being fixed and read everything here on the forum. Things are looking bleak, especially since I'm the only one having this issue. Here is the video and my PC specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJohL3DWdMU

I recommened putting the video full screen so you can see how it actually looks. While its not full screen it dosnt look so bad. Full screen its awful. And no thats not youtube showing bad quality THAT THE GAME!

it appears i'm having animation troubles like some others too but one problem at a time, for now lets focus on the terrible resolution. I cant even change the resolution settings in the settings menu. As you see, none pop up.

Heres my specs:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
CPU Speed: You Have: 2.3 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Disc Space: 156.3 GB
Windows 7

Upvote 0
You can usually configure it via Catalyst Control Center. You want to assign KFGame.exe to open using your GPU - it's possible it might be using your Integrated Graphics Chip instead of your Dedicated GPU.

1. Open Catalyst Control Center.
2. Go to "Gaming" tab.
3. Click "3D Application Settings"
4. Once in there, look for the "Add" Button.
5. Add KFGame.exe from your install path. (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64)
6. Assign it to use your GPU. Then start the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay a bit of an update. According to my Device manager i only have driver version 9.3.0.0 for my Radeon. YET my computer claims that to be the latest version. I doubt that very much. I am using an alien-ware 17. I've heard rumors that drivers for Dell are different that other drivers and that I can not just update the drivers via AMD's website like any normal laptop owner could. I am not very computer savy and have no clue about any of this though. The battle to get killing floor running has been long and hard and I'm not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel.

Upvote 0
I'll have to escalate this to our internal system for analysis. Please PM me a PasteBin of your DxDiag.

You could possibly try googling around with the error you have to see if you can find any solutions online.

I'll be gald to PM you my DxDiag, as soon as you tell me what that is. Anyway, some updates... now i get this when i launch killing floor 1: kfmessage2.png

Upvote 0
OKAY I believe i figured everything out. But its not pretty.

I tried updating my AMD card through their website using their drivers. When I do not only can i not launch killing floor, I cant launch ANY game. This is because I am working with a Dell laptop. Dell decided that you cannot update any drivers for their GPU's UNLESS its approved by them. The approved updates are posted on their website.

Here's the catch. Dell stopped updating my graphics card around version 9.0.3.0. The latest version is around 14.0.0.0. Much higher than what Dell updated. The last time dell updated the drivers on their website (the only drivers that will work with my dell computer) was back in 2013. They have released no more updates. They have also not said they will be releasing anymore. Dell has pretty much pulled the plug on a these graphics card drivers and not only have they stopped supporting it, they've made it so I can't get support from anywhere else (Like the gpu makers website).

So thanks to Dell just deciding like they didn't feel like putting up the drivers I not only have a perfectly good graphics card sitting doing nothing, but I also can play a game I just paid $40 for. Thanks a lot Dell. Now I'm stuck not playing killing floor for a very very long time. I've never felt so frustrated and heart broken at the same time. I was really looking forward to playing this game. I have hundreds of hours on the first one and was hoping to do the same with the new one.

:(:(:(:(

Upvote 0
Tiny Resolution

Tiny Resolution

I'm having a similar issue.

My game always boots up in a tiny resolution, usually 320x200. When I can manage to navigate the menus, I can make it to the settings, but when I try to change the resolution, the box is empty. If I try to switch to windowed mode, the game crashes.

I've tried verifying, manually changing the resolution in the .ini files, and my drivers should all be up to date.

My specs are:

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 650m GT
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Windows 7 64-bit

Upvote 0
I've had the same exact problem with the tiny resolution. No matter what I had set the the config file to, it wouldn't work. After I had set it to 1920x1080 (my native resolution) it would crash on startup.

Going back into the config you would find the resolution was set to something like 154x91, 562x91, 0x0, or 193142592x576736. It would just ignore whatever was written in the setx or sety areas.

After deleting my config file KF2 had reset itself to the tiny resolution. I was able to alter the resolution using the console and the command setres. At this point I could see that the resolution window was empty (http://i.imgur.com/yDAoY3g.jpg) and attempting to adjust any settings would set the resolution to what seemed like 0x0.

Pretty fun, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same

Same

Same problem here, but the game randomly works. No other games are affected. I can load it 7 times in a row and it works normally on the 7th. Sometimes it works on the 2nd etc. I'm also using a Dell Inspiron laptop.
AMD Radeon HD 7700M
Intel Core i7-3632QM 2.20GHz
Windows 8 :'( 64-bit

Upvote 0
Any update on this? I've tried every systems verification/driver update/system cleanup and I'm still getting this problem on one of my team's PC. (not for nothing, but I've worked in IT for 15 years and am brought in to fix problems others can't; This game is the problem, not my system). We will be returning now 6 copies of the game if this problem is not resolved within the next couple days.

Upvote 0