• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor History (all u need to know)

I was thinking it might be a good idea to have a thread recording Killing Floor History, from the mod, to the updates. Record what we need to know. I'll be adding the basics at the moment, and then you folks fill me in on what I missed, if thats all right with you guys.

Mod Days: Killing Floor Original by Alex Quick and his team
2005: Killing Floor Mod 1.0 released Campaign included. Co-op was based around infinite ever-growing waves. Perks added, match-based. Chainsaw added and then removed.

Versions past 1.0 (2005-2008)
Flamethrower added and other features. Resembled the retail version, but mantained the style and extreme difficulty of 1.0.
These updates continued from 2.0 through 2.5, 2.5 being released July 2008.

Negotiations As the player base became unstable, there was talk of porting Killing Floor onto the mod-gone-game 'Red Orchestra', made by Triwire Interactive. These fall through.

Early Retail:
Retail Released 2009: Tripwire Interactive and the Original Mod team combine to create the basis of what we know today. Released May 14, 2009. This version of KF has the style we know today, but drastically different gameplay from both modern KF and the KFMod. It was no longer infinite, with a final boss wave. However, a lack of tier 3 (or, often, tier 2) weaponry as well as a serious chainsaw buff and a lack of husks created a big difference between now and then (many other factors also contributed). Also, a Firebug perk is added.

Heavy Metal: The first content pack, released August 20, 2009, was the first sign of change. Katanas and AK-47s were added to the game, as well as Foundry. Balances and other such things are fixed. First DLC added.

Level Up and onwards:
Level Up: On October 22nd, the massive level up update changed the game entirely. This added a massive number of guns, a large number of maps, the Demo perk, and Husks. Lots of changes. I believe also TWI made a big deal about going to DisneyWorld (? lol). Also, GrindHouse Map Contest takes place. Perk limit expanded from 5 to 6.

Incendiary: Added the MAC10, and some changes. Maps as well, I believe.

Killing Floor Beta: A massive Beta program is opened via invites to the player base, and this is used to test balance updates and the new difficulty (HoE), which was still in the works.

XMas Update: Added Xmas Specimen for the duration of the event, added Santa's Lair, and extreme balance changes. Seen as a major turning point due primarily to balance changes. Hell on Earth Difficulty added along with mass numbers of acheivements.

Potato FoolsDay updates: Semi-promo update with Valve, adding Apeture map, Potato gun, Golden Potato, GlaDos Trader, and hosted the Potato ARG.

Last edited:
Incendiary: Added the MAC10, and some changes. Maps as well, I believe.

XMas Update: Added Xmas Specimen for the duration of the event, added Santa's Lair, and extreme balance changes. Seen as a major turning point due primarily to balance changes.

Was it the Incendiary or the Xmas update that brought us HoE? I know it was one of the 2.

Upvote 0
I thought it was the XMas one...yes, definately, I remember testing it in the Beta...which I should also jot down

Lol yeah, just figured I should point that out, since I saw you missed that. :)

Also, I would almost think to note the crossbow nerfing in the HoE post in the xmas update so people know that that's when the world turned upside down lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lol yeah, just figured I should point that out, since I saw you missed that. :)

Also, I would almost think to note the crossbow nerfing in the HoE post in the xmas update so people know that that's when the world turned upside down lol

Yeah, the crossbow, katana, medic, and pistol nerfs were the massive rebalancing I was refferring to as the major turning point. I suppose one might even say the amount of change warrants a new section, but until I have more to record, Im happy with this :D

Upvote 0
The change of the perk system from a slight class system to a grind-tastic RPG-esque whitelist-protected behemoth was another big change between mod and retail that was not mentioned. "(all u need to know)" is kind of misleading since you basically provided a very highly abridged version. I'd rather refer players to the wiki pages:
Mod
Transition and Retail
Level Up
Heavy Metal

Upvote 0
The change of the perk system from a slight class system to a grind-tastic RPG-esque whitelist-protected behemoth was another big change between mod and retail that was not mentioned. "(all u need to know)" is kind of misleading since you basically provided a very highly abridged version. I'd rather refer players to the wiki pages:
Mod
Transition and Retail
Level Up
Heavy Metal

I meant it sort of as all you NEED to know, not should.

It is highly abridged, and I plan on updating it soon, but for now it is all you need to know to have a basic knowledge and to keep up to date (also, I breifly mentioned the perk differences, but ur right in that it requires more emphasis)

Upvote 0
List of weapons added in Level Up:

M32, M79, Pipebombs (along with the demo perk), SCAR, AA12, MP7M, and M14EBR, which is insanely overpowered at the time, due to more mags and SS body damage bonus. A term 'spamshooter' is born and any SS using M14 are scorned. Also, during this period chainsaw and LAW are almost useless, and medics with katanas are demigods, while scrakes and fleshpounds are a joke due to insane unperked Xbow damage.

Upvote 0
@Deafmute
If you don't find my opinion correct, you've obviously never held a correct opinion before. But seriously, a completely non-skill based passive buff that has no opportunity cost and gets better by you arbitrarily performing in-game actions? If that doesn't sound like an RPG, then I don't know what does. Not that KF is an RPG, but that the perk system draws heavily from common RPG convention.

@timur
Not sure exactly what you are referring to, but there was a private group on these forums that you could get invited to where we were assigned groups of maps to test. Because of the large number of members, loose testing rules, and animosity between members, ultimately this didn't work too well. It was around the time that the mapping competition was held and tons of maps where whitelisted but horribly broken. The group has been deleted, I think; can't find it anymore. I'm not sure if any group worked on it after this but before KEPT.

Upvote 0