• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 3 Returns to its Roots

While players are encouraged to wreak chaos on enemies in Killing Floor 3, Wynia and the rest of the team still aimed for a reasonable level of realism in the third game.

For example, there will be weapons that “don’t exist in the real world,” but “they’re not sci-fi guns, they’re guns that could exist in seven years, grounded in reality.”

Very interesting! I do like the sound of where this is going. :)

Upvote 0
While players are encouraged to wreak chaos on enemies in Killing Floor 3, Wynia and the rest of the team still aimed for a reasonable level of realism in the third game.

For example, there will be weapons that “don’t exist in the real world,” but “they’re not sci-fi guns, they’re guns that could exist in seven years, grounded in reality.”

Very interesting! I do like the sound of where this is going. :)
I hope they'll stick to that principle too. Nothing against the more "homemade" weaponry from KF2 (the pulverizer or piranha pistol for example), nor the more creative ideas like the Killerwatt or Thermite Bore (I'm only talking about design, not gameplay here...) But things like the Reducto Ray really shouldn't come back... It's just too much.

Upvote 0
I'm against all nonsense inventions .

- For example, there will be weapons that “don’t exist in the real world,” but “they’re not sci-fi guns, they’re guns that could exist in seven years, grounded in reality.”

This is absolutely the right direction i hoped it for years finally i can enjoyed to modern KF and left behind the absurds(y)🤞
( Horror game with tail , paws , animal heads , zombie riding toys on back ) sorry i will puke still can't believe my eyes what i'm witnessing it will leave a lasting mark in my consciousness for ever thank you for this ...

Upvote 0
Hi,

This is awesome... KF3!
Ive played since the start.. KF1...

Now I just hope TWI stick to the reason why KF got so popular in the first place... It should be a simple/scary/adrenaline with good Gun feeling type of game and very satisfying effects of shooting the zeds... blood, body / bodyparts all over etc.

I also hope they exclude everything related to Crosshairs and Autoaim... atleast on PC... maybe autoaim is needed on PS or XBOX... but on PC with mouse it should not even be a choice. Please remove option of crosshair and autoaim!

Boss health bar, please exclude in KF3 (like in KF1) except for commando's as it was originally. It makes the boss fight more scary and intense not knowing how much healt he has left, and we needed to have a commando that can indicate and spend energy on actually communicating it without getting killed by boss while doing so.

Sliding... I hear rumors about implementing the ability to slide etc in KF3... personaly dont care much for extra "advanced" movement like this. I want all the effort to go into Gunplay, Zeds exploding/blood/bodyparts and graphics.

Horror, more back to the KF1 vibe maybe, with KF2s gunplay and whatever combined together with unreal engine 5 and its capabilities this has the potential to be over the top awesome.

Gun sounds, in KF1 you could hear the gun sounds from your squad mates almost as loud as your own gun, in KF2 the gun sounds from your nearby Squad mates is almost muted.. why ? If your standing close to a teamplayer while he is firing his gun, it should sound as loud as your own gun. It makes the whole experience much more intense, and I have been missing this since KF1.

2nd weapon / please add the 2nd weapon, pistol/rifle or whatever to the teamplayers bodies, holstered on the hip or tier 3/4/5 weapon hanging on the back when not used, so that we know what weapons our team/squad has.

Medic, in KF2 you just fire to heal and the dart hits the teammates even if not aiming straight at them, in KF1 you actually had to make sure the dart hit where your teammate was standing or else you would miss him, and he died.. :) I liked this better. It was harder.

And last off, in early KF1, standing out on the plains of the KF1-FARM map for example, with the double barrel, L&L rifle or simple weapons in HOE awating the next wave of zeds,, feeling abit helpless.... This feeling was much stronger in KF1 compared to KF2.

I still enjoy KF2... but... KF3 has biiiig potential to get the best of both worlds now in early stage of development.

Keep it simple, make it awesome :)

Last edited:
Reactions: gRoTTo.oRc
Upvote 0
Horror, more back to the KF1 vibe maybe, with KF2s gunplay and whatever combined together with unreal engine 5 and its capabilities this has the potential to be over the top awesome.

KF1 was a co-op survival horror game whereas KF2 was a co-op action shooter. KF1 was also a perfect example of constraint breeding innovation in that it was a UT mod using UE2.5 meaning there was a lot it couldn't do. The result was a game that felt intimidating because, by necessity, the game didn't show you everything so you'd wind up running through lonely fields with little view distance whilst being chased by hordes of zeds that you could hear but not see. I'd love for KF3 to go back to it's survival roots but, given the general trend of gaming and temptations of UE5, I'm almost certain it'll be a flashy action shooter affair much like KF2 was. I hope that's not the case but, if it is, then for me KF3 will be little more than a game engine update so that more high fidelity graphics which add nothing gameplay wise whilst detracting massively from atmosphere can be shoved in my face.

Upvote 0
I hope they'll stick to that principle too. Nothing against the more "homemade" weaponry from KF2 (the pulverizer or piranha pistol for example), nor the more creative ideas like the Killerwatt or Thermite Bore (I'm only talking about design, not gameplay here...) But things like the Reducto Ray really shouldn't come back... It's just too much.
I'm aware I'm the minority but stuff like the freezethrower and heal thrower I like. It's only the drones, Ballistic Bouncer, and Reducto Ray that I don't like. The drones force players who should be focusing on trash mobs to focus on bigger stuff and then switch to trash mobs once the drones run out of ammo. Just kills the fun and money earning potential for other classes. The other two are just bad weapons and feel largely out of place. Every other weapon I am fine with, except maybe the Vampire (but it offers a unique playstyle so I give it a pass in terms of gameplay design).

I love the homemade weapons and I love the sci-fi stuff too. I mean, c'mon, we have bosses with moving particle shields that can go invisible. It's clear the world of Killing Floor is much more technologically advanced than ours. Just look at a regular zed. Mutating people into that is something we couldn't even dream of doing within 2 years, ignoring government restrictions. We just don't have the technology for most of the things the base zeds do. We barely have the technology for a functioning flame thrower that doesn't jam, burst a valve/tube, suffer from air bubbles, or sets the user on fire (all issues current and past designs had. There's also a lot more issues plaguing modern flame throwers). It's crazy to think that the Caulk 'n Burn isn't possible to make in the way it works in the game. It seems simple enough to work but when you try to make something like that it would jam up or suffer from other issues. Same with the game's real flame thrower.

(This isn't directed at you Ale but others who keep saying they want realistic weapons)
For the people saying they want "more realistic weapons", no you don't. Your sense of realism is changed from what realism actually is. A lot of people's sense of realism is based on movies and games that give a fake look into what's possible in the modern world. Like silencers. Silencers are still loud. A silenced 9mm is still 135-165db (depends on the type you get and what you're willing to sacrifice). 150db is still enough to permanently damage your hearing. 135 is as loud as an air raid siren. This is why movies, and games, change them to be quiet little puffs. It sounds better. They make a magical silencer that keeps the accuracy and energy while nullifying the sound. That's beyond science fiction. That's magic. Some of the Swat's "realistic" weapons are impossible to make because of their sound and output.

I'm not even a weapon's person. I just had to design a game for a college class and when we decided to do realistic weapons we needed to do a lot of research. We found how guns work in every medium is pretty bogus. When we presented our project with realistic weapons, down to relative sound levels, we needed to present all of our research because everyone in the class, including the professor, called us liars. Since you're already getting creative with modern day weapons naturally that creativity grows and spawns out there weapons. Which is okay. The tech in Killing Floor is beyond what we have.

Upvote 0
"there will be weapons that “don’t exist in the real world,” but “they’re not sci-fi guns, they’re guns that could exist in seven years, grounded in reality.”" This can mean anything.
I said it aleady before: even doomstick looks dumb - unnessesary cross-shaped barrels that no one does irl and for a reason, clunky, metalic, wobbly buttstock? Why? For what reason? And It's not even "futuristic", it's just dumb and annoying design.
Alot of people agree that HRG's needs to go, I think it's already clear for Tripwire. But for me, it's those unnessesary glowing parts, parts that cannot and should not glowing. Just dumb.
I really don't wanna see all this stuff, I WOULD PAY for not seeing stuff like this ever again.

Upvote 0