• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC KF2 consistantly causing PC to blue screen

eckojay

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
Hey,

I'm running KF2 on Windows 10 and it seems that each match I play my PC will get the blue screen of death before I can finish a match. Prior to this the game runs fine with no visible issues.

Each time the blue screen gives me the error "DPC_Watchdog_violation". While I understand this is an error associated with windows and drivers I was wondering if Tripwire has seen this issue occur before. I play numerous high-end games and yet the only game which causes my PC to blue screen is Killing Floor 2.

Any advice on what might be causing this or logs that may be of some use to you guys?

[TW said:
OfficerDavid;n2285663]If you hardware is blue screen crashing, that would lead me to believe that it is not anything related to KF2. Check to see your CPU or GPU temperatures and make sure its getting enough cooling and ventilation as it may be overheating leading to a hardware malfunction.

Yeh thats a good reason, and if he's rocking a 1070 from EVGA then it's certainly an overheating issue as that card lacks a few crucial thermal pads on a pcb which results in that card overheating worse than an radeon card

Upvote 0
Definitely not running EVGA. It's an ASUS ROG STRIX 1070

As far as I know the temperatures are fine. Alt-tabbing out of killing floor 2 and checking the temps shows that they never exceed 50 degrees.

Again, the reason I feel this may be an issue associated with KF2 is because it's the only game where I experience this issue. I am running multiple other, more demanding games using this GPU which also reach higher temperatures and yet I never experience any bsod.

Additionally, prior to the crash in Killing Floor 2 there seems to be no visible performance issues. It's just an instant crash.

Prior to this I was experiencing an issue where the game would seemingly crash randomly with a bugsplat error. The last few lines of the logs would list "Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up. (500 ms)". This has no longer been the case since the tropical bash update went live but it still consistently blue screens.

I've seen very few other people experiencing the issue above but both of the ones I listed seem to be issues with communications between GPU and Killing Floor 2 exclusively.

Could it potentially be some Nvidia exclusive setting conflicting with my card such as flex?

Upvote 0
Potentially, GPU catch up errors typically occur when the performance of your GPU reaches its max value and unable to render the next frame. FleX does have a higher performance cost to run especially with Fluids but a 1070 card should be able to handle it. If it was just a BugSplat error that make more sense with the game being the root cause but blue screen crashes speak to something much deeper with either hardware or operating system being the issue. Does this occur when you have FleX turned off?

Upvote 0
eckojay;n2285779 said:
Do you mean Flex is trying to process on my CPU instead of my GPU? Maybe that might be what is causing the blue screen. Maybe there is a way I can force it to process through my GPU using the Nvidia control panel

As far as i've heard, even if you try to force it to use gpu for physx it will still switch back to cpu.

Upvote 0
eckojay;n2285779 said:
Do you mean Flex is trying to process on my CPU instead of my GPU? Maybe that might be what is causing the blue screen. Maybe there is a way I can force it to process through my GPU using the Nvidia control panel

If that happens, FleX will have issues. Try leaving it on Auto-select and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
[TW said:
OfficerDavid;n2285803]

If that happens, FleX will have issues. Try leaving it on Auto-select and see if that helps.

It was already set to auto-select. I tried re-enabling Flex and forcing it to use my GPU and I got a bugsplat error mid-game.

I appreciate you keeping up with this thread and offering your support. It's a breath of fresh air to see someone from TW who cares about the communities concerns

Upvote 0