• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-RE1-Mansion-Beta (Resident Evil Mansion) - wave based + Story

you could set up keys/locked doors/ events that move stuff blocking a path, see how the single player maps were done in kfmod1.0/2.5
there is a way so that ppl can pick up multiple keys (done in the kfs-doom maps) i havent figured that out yet though

Well a big thing is that I'm going to need to lock and unlock a lot of doors constantly depending on where the players have progressed to. However I decided against lock+key style, for example trying to replicate the order of room completion from Resident Evil would be too complicated for such an action-intense game. Expect a kind of arcade version of Resident Evil where you don't have a choice where you go and every step of the way monsters will jump through windows to eat your brains! The 'story' element will also include chatter between the characters (Chris, Jill, Wesker), which will give the player a sense of purpose (why are we going from here to there and then to where???).

Part of what you said, 'move stuff blocking a path' interests me. I don't know yet how I'm going to do all the things I need to do, and this may be of use. Do you know of any KF Retail maps that illustrate that concept, as I don't have access to Unreal Tournament + KF Mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Part of what you said, 'move stuff blocking a path' interests me. I don't know yet how I'm going to do all the things I need to do, and this may be of use. Do you know of any KF Retail maps that illustrate that concept, as I don't have access to Unreal Tournament + KF Mod.
in my map i made some walls that you can destroy with grenade/pipebomb, and parts where you shoot stuff to open a door.
you could use a proximity trigger in one part (go here) or a usetrigger if they push or are near then a mover (maybe a closed door opens when triggered elsewhere/a rubbish pile blocking a hallway tips over)
i used triggered events/triggers to do lots of stuff in my duke3dm1 map (shoot fire hydrant activates water emitter/water on street, shoot clot head lowers barbwire to get key, rocket in window blows over ambulance/ etc.)

Upvote 0
Hallways are 1,5-2x bigger than real life, doors are 1,5x bigger than real life. Its weird looking map, but kida cool, so fix those two things. Ah and theres much fps drop where the bodies are, please fix this area.

Yep the basement bodies area has been fixed for next version.

As for your other opinions I think I should just say that you are entitled to your opinion but I don't share it. Doors for one are copied directly from official maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Resident Evil mansion had VERY high cielings, they look roughly 3x the height of a man. This was probably neccessary for that old game that used still shot images and your character walked around the still image. I guess they need the height a lot of the time to give a larger field of view for the player to see what they are doing.

Is the Main Hall the right size? Or any other room? Its hard to say but I came up with a few different sizes for Main Hall before deciding that the present one looked closest. At the end of the day there was no way to get definitive measurements of the original Mansion. What I *was* able to do was get the rooms correctly sized in relation to each other, using overhead maps from the game which appear to be properly to scale.

Upvote 0
Great map but it's too easy on anything lower than suicidal.
6 players can easily hold off the lobby. But if you go downstairs you are immediately killed if there is only two of you.
you could get rid of some ammo pick-ups and gun pickups.
I'd say 7-8 out of 10 if I had to rate it.

Thanks for the feedback, ultimately I want the story mode to be what people will play mostly. I have a lot more control over the difficulty in the story version (still several weeks away) although I probably won't make it quite as hard as KF-Candlesmoke.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for all the effort Herman, just in time too another day and I would have had to make any changes on wave as well as story version of the map.

You are right about all of those things. Some of those changes I've already fixed, others its a compromise between accuracy to Resident Evil and what would look best in this map. For example I know using the rug texture as carpet looks kinda bad, but RE1 had a lot of red carpet and nothing else in default packages comes close! I'm not sure why you want lights in the zombie-only rooms, I may have to give it a miss because I couldn't be bothered detailing those rooms very well. Things like the stairs I should be able to improve on, but the balustrading... I used this stuff I made for my last map and it doesn't work so good a lot of the time. Short of making a new SM for every scenario, I've spent a lot of time making those rails/supports to the best of my humble abilities. In particular, I couldn't get 'bottom rails' on stairs to look good enough that I could use. [edit] Bugger it, I'm convinced that needs fixing. Stairwells on East and West wings now have bottom rail supports and look much better. [/edit] Finally, showing me which doors need work is very helpful. Overall I thank you very much.

Upvote 0
hi driftwood

first i am no mapper, so i have no idea what i am asking for and how much effort it takes. forgive me in advance:eek:

i see the carpent-texture is nessecary. is it possible to bend the size of the whole texture so the complete pattern is visible. this could be a solution. making a "new" texture by dyeing an concretelike default texture with a dirty red and giving it a carpentlike walksound could do the trick too.

the zombieonlyrooms need no light. the thing i meant was the blocking door leafs should have a light to be visible.

the rails are very good constructed and blend in perfectly. good work. rails are a big issue in most maps. even in biotic labs is a "wrong" rial on one of the stairs down to the trader in the cellar.

looking forward to see the next version...

Upvote 0
Story mode underway!

Story mode underway!

LATEST UPDATE:
Alpha testers needed for Story version!
Story version progress:
Wave 1 done (400 zeds)
Wave 2 done (450 zeds)
Wave 3 planned
Wave 4 planned
Wave 5 planned
End Boss planned

Wave based version update - close to final but beta is whitelisted now so no hurry to go final.

If you want to help with the Story mode alpha testing, just add me to your steam list. Username:
Driftwood_Sinks

Currently I'm testing by playing in beginner mode. How else could I kill > 400 zeds per wave in solo? This isn't a great test for map balance. I want the game to be doable on Hard with a full team, and very hard but not impossible on suicidal. To accomplish this balance I invite anyone who's interested to join my testing server. It won't be up 24/7, just when I'm in game. I'm not posting server details because the IP address is dynamic. I will PM you in Steam when I'm going to do some testing, if you are available to play and want to join in, you'll download the latest alpha release automatically from my server (<3mb compressed).

Upvote 0