• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-defense-evo-BETA

g4sman

Nov 3, 2009
Spain
This is my first map,originaly inspired in defense-B2.
Its a big map so it can be used for big servers (20-60players).

Map Name: KF-defense-evo-BETAV1
Beta Number:2
Playable:
YES
What testing is wanted: Bugs,texture/game problem,zombie spawn,lagg,etc
Map Download Size/Uncompresed Rom Size:
3.9 MB .rar file/22.3 MB .rom file

The map is a old abandoned military base with some dark secrets in the underground.

There are some doors closed with key`s,try to find them.

Like i allready said this is my first map ,so i hope you guys test it and tell me the bugs to fix them,for me it looks nice and i cant find more bugs .

If you guys find any problem plz tell me.

Recomended Game is Hard or Suicidal

Im unable to host a server to test it in multiplayer.
Feedback to make the map better is welcome.
Youre also welcome to upload my map on your server.

Special thanks for answering mi questions to:
dextronaut
driftwood
Murphy
Fel

New BETAV1 Permanent DL Link
http://www.xtremgamers.com/XtremRapid/uploads/6840273f17.rar

SS :)
74862c4c90.jpg

9a1231efff.jpg

8e4c47260e.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked at this map in the editor. There is no optimizing that has been done.

1- set cull on your meshes

2- add zones

3- set surfaces not seen by players to unit

4- Add antiportals in the walls

1- what you mean with this ?

2- what zones and where?

3- this also i dont understand it

4- antiportal? i never see this

im really sorry butt im still a nub mapping,and i dont find tomuch good tutorial about specific stuff.

if you xplain me a little about it or show me some links with the tutorials and i ad all that stuff

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've recently found that the most likely cause is collision on the static meshes. Cull distance is a good idea but if you want to be able to see the tree or whatever from a distance you'll have to keep the cull distance high anyway. So you don't get pop up like in old PSX games, lol.

So, you don't have to do this for every mesh such as those 'fence' ones you are using to build a path in the underground area, but for all the trees, dead bodies, and any other high poly count objects that the player can't actually get to, go into properties->collisiion and set to false 'blockactors', 'blockkama', 'collideactors'. At least thats what I do. If its an object that you DO want players/zombies to get stuck on, you can put a blocking volume on top of the mesh to handle that for you.

When all of the other suggested ideas failed (bar the unlit surface idea), I did this and then my FPS went back to the constant 59.

Upvote 0
Ok just had a play through. The fps most the time was around 40 for me, it should be a constant 59 fps. You can bring up the console and type:
stat fps
to view the fps, so once you are doing some optimising, you can test if its working. 40fps was playable but noticeably jerky. Oh yeah and I have a really good comp, corei5 @ 4.01ghz, 4gig ram, ati 4890 (1gig).

2nd thing I'll mention is that the design geometry wise is pretty cool. There isn't a great sense of the building looking like an actual building, with believable stairs, hallways etc, but thats not a big deal. What you could do to dress it up is look at all your textures and scale them down, usually scale to 0.25 looks good with most KF textures. An easy way to do this is to select a texture, right click, and go "select all matching texture", then go to properties and scale down.

3rd thing - a problem that affects the gameplay flow. The zeds don't know how to use the metal doors underground, the ones that slide up and down. They get stuck behind them and you have to go looking for them. That would also effect the intensity of the map as there's a good chance zeds are taking a long way around if they give up on getting through the door.

A small thing that will probably get fixed when you do your optimisation anyway, is that the watertanks don't seem to have as much collision as one would expect. I got inside one and lost health because I jumped onto it off the wall, only to fall straight through it. If collision is already turned on for these objects, it must just be the way they are created - put a blocking volume over them to simulate collision.

Keep at it and I'd recommend a 2nd beta before going final.

Upvote 0
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Spudzorz?n=y

First 2 screenshots on the page are in your map. You can see the dramatic change in FPS just turning from one side to the other. My frames do indeed drop in other maps but Im never choppy. On your map it was almost constant chop. A good graphics heavy map such as Departed or Icebreaker I usually run steadily between 90 and 150fps. This is an interesting map, I hope you get it optimized so I can upload to my server.

Upvote 0
[url]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Spudzorz?n=y[/URL]

First 2 screenshots on the page are in your map. You can see the dramatic change in FPS just turning from one side to the other. My frames do indeed drop in other maps but Im never choppy. On your map it was almost constant chop. A good graphics heavy map such as Departed or Icebreaker I usually run steadily between 90 and 150fps. This is an interesting map, I hope you get it optimized so I can upload to my server.

hmm

I will try to optimize it a little more

Butt i allready added zones,antiportals,blocking volumen`s and optimized all meshes.

Only thing i dont have make is the cull distance because im completly lost with that :)

Any way if you guys see any others things to optimize plz tell me , so i try to fix them to.

Upvote 0