• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Chthon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its a fine map with lots of love for the details. its very diversified and has good z-axis dynamic (the way the upper, middle and lower levels of the map are connected).

my only problem with this map is that it has nothing to do with killingfloor. at least not in my eyes. sorry if i`ve been harsh.

maybe u can change this with a little modification. let it be a funhouse, a museum or a midevil exhibition. u start on the street, a classic KF street, with burning cars and decay of all kind. from here u enter the house with ur level inside. that way u can sell a starship to me:D. the trader rooms should give u that behind the scene-feeling by beeing classic KF-traders.

Upvote 0
I just gave the map a brief play offline. It seems to be pretty fun so far, and nice looking. The one map killing issue though is the darn invisible player blocking volumes at the zed exits. That is the cardinal sin of KF mapping (or any game for that matter). You can't just have an invisible wall blocking players without some kind of visual indication of why they can't get there. Put a barricade or something up if you don't want players to go somewhere.

Another thing I noticed is that the map needs more fine detail. The overall detail is nice, but it needs more smaller objects so it doesn't feel empty (thinks like pebbles, small bits of rubble, fallen bricks, etc).

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the comments.

Yeah, the zed spawn points are not finalized yet. There will be more fences and stuff, or piles of rubble that indicate the blocking volume.

Another issue I want to address is the perfomance.
Has anyone who played the map experienced major breakdown while playing, especially with 3+ players? The problem is that due to 2 terrains used, the zoning is once again very difficult. I used some antiportals here and there, but it may not be enough.
And another problem emerged which I wasn't aware of in the first place: If somebody uses a door and has it in his line of sight, the framerate will drop significantly while the door moves. Does anyone know where this comes from?

A word to the setting:

Yeah, it may not be looking like a "classic" KF map, although it was inspired by an ancient crypt in a cathedral - some of them can still be visited.

This can be found in a crypt in Sussex:

crypt.jpg

I tried to indeed add some surrealistic elements and as you venture deeper into the catacombs, the environment starts to have even an infernal touch.

Upvote 0
Hello

Hello

I played it tonight with another player. I wanted a couple more but they bailed after our mapping testing. Overall the map looks cool. The only problems I had was thinking I could go places I could not, like through the gates, and the lighting seemed real bright in a lot of places. Some areas the lighting seemed well balanced. Then in some it felt like a lot of bright colors just filled the room. Of course I am not perfect either when it comes to lighting. They are like zone portals a real nightmare sometimes. Especially after building. I have a set light I look at that I know how it will be after a proper build. This helps.

I will try to get a group of guys sometime to play it with me. Usually when I get a bunch of mappers together to play it takes awhile to go through every ones map and they want to bail. Its a lot of fun but we had 5 mappers on tonight on my server. I wanted to get to one more map. However after a few hours of testing we needed a break. The break turned into resting. I am still up however I have odd hours now. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

A test with 4+ players would be highly appreciated for I cannot coordinate a test with more than 3 players at the moment. So if anyone has gathered some experience with more players, I would be glad if he'd share it in this thread :)

You can always add me to steam. We usually get together now and then and test out our maps. We played 5 or 6 maps last night together. We had 5-6 the whole time. Get you in on the fun.

All I usually need is what ever updated map, if one at that time, to download onto my servers. We generally like to play it in hard mode. If it is easy in hard then it needs some help.:D

Lately it has been Fel, Dex, Arramus, Myself, and we had Robot in last night. I wanted to play one of Robots maps. We did not make it that far.:( I was up for it. Been trying to go to bed for 6 hours lol. 9:37am and been hard at work since yesterday afternoon. Trying to make a nice day map out of my Abandoned Map. I wanted a little fog. It is giving me hell. May just turn it into a sun map. We will see.

Upvote 0