• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Kar98k vs Mosin Nagant

Hmm, well, i'm a 91/30 man myself, but ive never really noticed much ballistic difference, just the sights, although often playing Russian i tend to be better with the Soviet rifles, just cause i'm more used to them.

On the subject of ammo, i dunno, ive never had a sticky bolt in my 91/30(had it for about 6 months now), but i dont shoot surplus ammo, just modern Winchester 7.62x54R, its a bit heavy though 180 grain, as compared to the 140-somethings which seem to be the popular choice.

Upvote 0
I prefer the Mosin 91/30 in game , especially for its sniper version , and for shooting at long range . Trajectories of the projectile is flatter with Mosin ( cause it fired a slightly lighter projectile than the German 7.92X57mm , and with a slightly longer barrel than K98) . So you have a very slim difference in "bullet drop" effect , and cause i prefer the Mosin sight .

In real life though , i would probably have prefered the Karabiner , cause it was probably the most reliable rifle you could find at the time with very good quality of manufacturing , and also because it is lighter and still extremely accurate until 400m or even beyond for the sniper version , which is more than enough (rarely you fight ennemies at more than 300-400m , hence why modern assault rifle are designed to be effective within these ranges ) .

Upvote 0
I've heard on real life that the Mosin has a terrible tendance for the bolt to "stick" and not function properly,

No. No no no no no.

This is a myth. It's an ammunition problem, not a Mosin-Nagant problem.

A few years ago someone imported a batch of silver-tipped ammunition, Czech made, that was in lacquered steel cases. After firing, the heat melts the lacquer, which combines with cosmoline that you can almost -never- get out of the gun, and practically glues the case in place. When using brass-cased or copper-washed steel, this is not any sort of a problem. Heck, even using other lacquered steel it doesn't happen much ... just that Czech silver tip.

Another factor in this issue is that the Czech cases are a little larger - just a few thousandths of an inch, in all directions - but that makes a HUGE difference. Supposedly this stuff was originally intended for use in Dragunov-type guns, and that makes sense ... the AK derivatives had somewhat looser headspace, so a marginally larger case wouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0
For looks it has to be the Kar and I love the sight for some reason,not that I get it often I'm usually russkie.

Most people on here seem to be saying that they like the Mosin sights better, but I have to agree with you. I think the Mosin sights are more fogiving for new rifle users, but once you get used to them, the Kar sights are more precise. The Mosin varients have a blunt rectangular post on them, which makes it easier to see, but the Kar's triangular front post lets you see more of the target and offers better long range "pixel shooting" ability.

I'd say the M44 is superior to the Kar at close ranges, but the Kar beats the mosin varients at longer distances.

Upvote 0
Yah I like the sights better on the mosins... even the sniper sight is better (narrower tip blocks less of your target). I've also become convinced I'm the only one that likes the m38 (fast to aim without a distracting bayo, plus it hips like a dream)

Actually, I too always take the M38 over the 91/30. But I sometimes take the M44 when it's available.

Upvote 0